U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I may be moving to the Fairfield, OH area for a job opportunity. My wife is a horse person and we currently have 2 horses in the OKC area. We are looking for at least 5 acres which I assume will be enough for the two horses. I have checked out realtor.com and found some areas but unsure of them. We would like to live here a long time so we would prefer good schools. We are expecting our first child in February as well.

I am figuring our budget to be about 225Kish. What areas are recommended and what areas are not? Also, here is OK, our realtor was a horse person so he understood what we needed when we moved here. Does anyone know any realtors like that in the area?

Thank you all and I have a lot of infomration on this site by lurking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,463,978 times
I think you're not going to find 5 acres for a horse farm in Fairfield for that kind of money. You'll likely need to look farther up north in areas outside Wilmington all the way over west to Oxford.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM

864 posts, read 1,197,524 times
I would check out the Ross area as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
I feel your best bet may be north of Fairfield and North/West of Hamilton. Once you get out of the city of Hamilton proper in the general direction of Oxford I would think you an find some areage. Yet you should still be within resonable commute distance of Fairfield.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Thank you all. I didn't think we would be in fairfield but close would be nice. We are about 20 min outside of OKC now and that commute isn't too bad. according to realtor.com, there are some 5 acre parcels within 10 miles but I don't know anything about those areas. some of the school's ratings are a little scary so I assume it is very hit or miss out there.
And again, thank you all for your help I will check out those areas.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM

The desire to have property for a couple of horses is not so easily accomplished in the Cincinnati area as so much has grown up in subdivisions in the last 20 years. Since you are not yet directly concerned about the schools I would ignore them to a degree, or you will be chasing yourselves in circles. You may look out west toward Ross, Ohio. It is fairly rural and has always maintained a reasonable school rating.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Thank you KJ. I really appreciate your insight. I worry a little bit about not worrying about the schools as we do plan to live here a while. We were only down in OKC for 3 yrs and bought in the best district. Luckily OKC is a little more spread out than other areas. I grew up in the suburbs of Indianapolis and lived most of my life in the Indiana area minus the last 8 that have been spent in Colorado or Oklahoma. I will keep looking with the areas that have been suggested. I am hoping to keep the work commute to less than 30 minutes however not sure if that is even possible. It seems like most areas are becoming subdivisions as the desire to own land is fleeting.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 AM

If you look in the Ross area, I recommend trying to locate in the Ross Local School District. I believe Ross will continue to grow population wise and the schools will just get better.

If you find it necessary to look further Northwest, look up the Route 27 corridor toward Oxford. The Talawanda School District, in which Oxford is located, is quite large, 144 square miles. It is rated excellent with distinction. I would try to get close enough to Oxford to get into that district. Route 27 would provide a convenient commute down to East River Rd and over to Fairfield without having to use the conjested I-275. It should not exceed a 30 minute drive.

I would try and avoid Hamilton and the Hamilton City School District. It is not that Hamilton is that bad, you could do a lot worse. But Hamilton is old, established as a city in 1810. For years it was very much a blue collar town with residents employed in the various manufacturing facilities there. Most of the manufacturing plants are long gone, sitting empty and the blue collar workers forced to seek employment elsewhere. My concern is there is a large number of old, modest size homes which are rapidly falling into a state of disrepair since the solid income blue collar workers are no longer there to maintain them. Due to their low cost they are being bought up by scumbag landlords and turned into slum level housing. This does not bode well for Hamilton. The City is trying hard to reinvent itself, the problem being so are many others such as Middletown just up the road, Dayton, etc. What Hamilton needs to do is acquire this property, bulldoze it, and establish new inner city industrial parks with incentives to locate there. To me they just have not been aggressive enough in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati