U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,963,901 times

Advertisements

[quote=abr7rmj;26830332]Meanwhile, could the Cincinnati Enquirer be any more pathetic? Its fake numbers - supposedly posted erroneously - earlier today briefly impacted the stock market.

Fake Election Stats Showed Romney Ahead in Ohio

The Cincinnati Enquirer committed a major election faux pas, posting dummy stats to its web site—ahead of election returns—showing that Republican Mitt Romney held a stunning 92,000-vote lead in the key presidential battleground of Ohio.[/

Thanks for one of the most hilarious things I've ever picked up by reading this board. Yep, that's atill the Enquirer we know and love. Pleased to announce that as of a couple weeks ago my household has joined the ranks of readers who voted on the paper's content and quality with our feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,839,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Meanwhile, could the Cincinnati Enquirer be any more pathetic? Its fake numbers - supposedly posted erroneously - earlier today briefly impacted the stock market.

The Cincinnati Enquirer committed a major election faux pas, posting dummy stats to its web site—ahead of election returns—showing that Republican Mitt Romney held a stunning 92,000-vote lead in the key presidential battleground of Ohio.
And the idiots want to charge for online access.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,401,843 times
Quote:
If true, it should be prosecuted. Of course every election we hear accusations such as this which seem to die after the election. I will admit I observed a couple in front of me being told to fill out provisional ballots due to the fact they were at the wrong polling place. There were 3 precincts in the same room. They keep saying we are mailed cards with our precinct number on it, but I never remember having received one, which I believe I would recognize and save. I would have resisted a provisional ballot as I understand a large percentage of them are thrown out. If I am at the wrong polling place fine, but then call Lebanon and inquire where my correct polling place is. If I am confident I am registered they should be capable of telling me that.

I simply went up to the first table, told them my name, and asked which precinct was I in. They had a master book with the names of people in all 3 precincts, looked mine up and said precinct 44. I went to that table and there I was in their book, showed my ID and was signed in.

Here is what amazed me. As I went to sign my name, I looked at the names immediately surrounding mine. My wife's name was marked as absentee voter. That made sense since she had voted absentee due to her disability and had her vote in early. The one which caught my attention was my daughters name was stamped as early voter. Now she voted last Sunday and was at the board of elections in Lebanon until after 7:00PM (they closed at 5:00 PM but anyone in line was permitted to vote). Since Lebanon was the only early voting place for the entire county and was very crowded I thought there was no way they would catch up with all of the individual precinct books. But they did. So frankly I feel the board of elections does a very credible job.

I feel many of these accusations of voter fraud are simply people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame, deserved or not.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,240,017 times
Well hopefully the shenanigans will be kept to a minimum and they'll be a decisive winner by a reasonable time later tonight, or early tomorrow..

Go USA! Go Democracy!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,429,696 times
Just got back from voting. I was in and out in about a 1/2 hour.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM

31,284 posts, read 57,490,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The poll worker who checked my ID was saying to everyone "I have to make sure this isn't expired." Made me wonder if the Board of Elections is just being extra-diligent, or if she was from one of those organizations "working to prevent voter fraud," which since fraud is basically nonexistent, we all pretty much know what that's code for.
Since the Pa. Supreme Court put our voter ID law on hold, the pollworkers were instructed to ask for ID, but couldn't prevent anyone from voting if they did not produce it. Everyone in front of me (I was in line for about an hour; it seems everyone in my precinct has a last name beginning with A-L) was handing out ID; I just told the pollworker my name, and he asked me if I had ID. I cheerily said yes, but I don't have to show it to you in order to vote. I signed my name, and was off toward the voting booth ...

Quote:
Meanwhile, could the Cincinnati Enquirer be any more pathetic? Its fake numbers - supposedly posted erroneously - earlier today briefly impacted the stock market.

Whoa. That's a new low, although not checking facts seems to be the Enquirer's MO these days.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM

31,284 posts, read 57,490,958 times
I've got a bottle of wine and I'm taking a good long drink every time I hear a TV reporter say "Ohio".

Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,240,017 times
Wow. You're going to be drunk in no time based on what I'm seeing.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,963,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've got a bottle of wine and I'm taking a good long drink every time I hear a TV reporter say "Ohio".
Hahaha!!!!!

I'm following the Huffington Post's Election Dashboard. They're doing a nice job. And doing it without the annoying blabber of the TV news folks.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM

577 posts, read 1,007,212 times
I voted early this morning and it took less than 15 minutes. The whole id check in my opinion was overkill. There was an elderly woman in line in front of me who did not have a driver's license. They asked for another form of id like a water bill and she handed them a water bill... from Crystal Springs! She explained that she lived in an apartment and did not directly receive any sort of utility bills. This would have been somewhat comical in the way it was handled but they had her do a provisional ballot. There are times when there should be a judgement call made - I really don't think this elderly woman was out to commit voter fraud.

This is the issue with voter id laws. If there is a requirement for id to vote, there should be a method for those who do not drive or do not have the money to purchase an id to get one. Perhaps the BOE should have the ability to issue some sort of id when someone registers to vote. Voting is a right and should be one thing that is easy to do and at no cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or