U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,730,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't know how this could happen. Carboys always have an airlock. The only thing that explodes are the bottles if there is unfermented sugar left over before priming and bottling. If you bottle it right, the glass won't break and the cap just shoots off. You can avoid all glass entirely by using corny kegs.
I've heard of people pressurizing carboys with co2. This is a bad idea, and probably how the carboy explosion occurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't know how this could happen. Carboys always have an airlock. The only thing that explodes are the bottles if there is unfermented sugar left over before priming and bottling. If you bottle it right, the glass won't break and the cap just shoots off. You can avoid all glass entirely by using corny kegs.
Spend a little time down at Listermann's and you'll find out.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,355,392 times
I guess I am spoiled because most of the homebrewers I know are also chemists and thus have lots of gas safety experience under their belts. If people are using gas cylinders, possibly without regulators, to pressurize sealed vessels then homebrewing could be dangerous indeed. Proper bottling removes the risk of "bottle bombs" and even improper bottling is not dangerous if you are conscientious about measuring specific gravity throughout the fermentation process. Honestly, the most dangerous part of home brewing, if you are doing it right, is pouring the hot water from your pot into your fermentation vessel, and that step isn't much more dangerous than cooking a big pot of pasta and straining it.

Of all of my hobbies, homebrewing is just about the safest. Bicycling, motorcycling, and skeet shooting all have a much higher potential for serious injury. While not rocket science, getting good results brewing your own beer takes some care and planning. I don't see how anyone with enough sense and patience to successfully brew good beer would simultaneously be careless enough to do it in a dangerous way.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
Just as I don't understand how someone willing to spend their money on a car or truck, considering purchase, insurance, fueling, and maintenance would go out and operate it in an unsafe way, but I observe it all the time.

The homebrewers I know are not chemists, but at least they are engineers with some appreciation for pressure, etc. I can't recall any of them remarking about an explosion with their beer, but maybe if it happened they would want to keep it quiet.

I had a co-worker who was big into home made wine. He always had several varieties in the works. I like what he produced as it was normally dry, which is my preference in wine.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,744 times
About supplies and equipment: tonight we went to Jungle Jim's, and I found that they have a *significant* selection of beer making supplies and equipment. Not huge, but much larger than Arrow Wine up in Dayton, for example.

They have "Brewers Best" equipment kits and 5 gallon prepackaged kits, and separate supplies like malted extract, grains, yeast, sugars, etc. I think I saw a cooler in the sub-department containing... yeast?

Prices seemed to be at par with online ordering (Jungle Jim's has about the fairest pricing of specialized stuff I've seen anywhere locally.)

FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or