Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by people211 View Post
All the input is appreciated. Had the opportunity to visit this past weekend and we found a place in East Walnut Hills. Looking forward to the transition at the end of the month. It was my first time seeing urban neighborhoods of Cincinnati and I must say I was impressed. Coming from a "newer" city, it was nice to see so much history in the architecture around those areas. Enjoyed driving down Ludlow through Clifton.
Thanks for checking back in and letting us know what you decided. And welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by people211 View Post
To be honest, my online research has me convinced that my world would be limited to just a few blocks because of lingering issues with race relations and homophobia.
Yep. Just stay in Northside, that would be the only part of Cincinnati I could ever live in. Cincinnati is not as bad as it used to be in the 80s when I went to UC and called it Cincinnazi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
The OP could move into Mason or South Lebanon.
I can remember the signs they used to have in South Lebanon, when I was in high school we used to call South Lebanon "Little Kentucky." Warren county has barns with confederate flags painted on the roofs and charred crosses along the interstate if anyone gets homesick for Mississippi.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I can remember the signs they used to have in South Lebanon, when I was in high school we used to call South Lebanon "Little Kentucky." Warren county has barns with confederate flags painted on the roofs and charred crosses along the interstate if anyone gets homesick for Mississippi.
What I remember was the 60s through the 80s in South Lebanon during the Kash D. Amburgy era. Remember the Kash's Big Bargain Barn and Save Money with Kash? Amburgy was a fixture on late night TV. He also built a lot of really cheaply constructed houses in South Lebanon. We had some names for it which were not as gentle as Little Kentucky.

Due to the development spurred by the River's Bend TPC Golf Course on the Maineville side of the Little Miami, South Lebanon seems to being undergoing a transformation. I haven't been in the original downtown in some time, but all of the development along OH 48 from I-71 to the river is certainly changing the appearance of the area.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Just as a reminder, if you ever find yourself in Mason for any reason, do not visit a place called the Pleasure Inn. This is about the biggest honky, redneck bar you can find around. I have lived here 37 years and been there a grand total of 1 time, and that was not for very long. I had the feeling I was somewhere around Corbin or Hazard KY 60 years ago. The owner of this dump had the audacity to post a sign in his front window saying Speak English if You Want Service. Naturally this made the news media. The ACLU jumped on it real quick and he backed down. Most places around Mason, West Chester, or Deerfield Twp you won't have a problem with. But this dump stay away from.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just as a reminder, if you ever find yourself in Mason for any reason, do not visit a place called the Pleasure Inn. This is about the biggest honky, redneck bar you can find around. I have lived here 37 years and been there a grand total of 1 time, and that was not for very long. I had the feeling I was somewhere around Corbin or Hazard KY 60 years ago. The owner of this dump had the audacity to post a sign in his front window saying Speak English if You Want Service. Naturally this made the news media. The ACLU jumped on it real quick and he backed down. Most places around Mason, West Chester, or Deerfield Twp you won't have a problem with. But this dump stay away from.
I can verify this statement, this place hands out bumper stickers that say "I spoke English and was served at P.I." He has another small sign with lettering that can be changed so he can display his ignorant thought of the day, like "A village in Kenya is missing it's idiot."

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I can verify this statement, this place hands out bumper stickers that say "I spoke English and was served at P.I." He has another small sign with lettering that can be changed so he can display his ignorant thought of the day, like "A village in Kenya is missing it's idiot."
Yes, some of my older bigoted acquaintances around Mason are regulars at the P.I. They seem to revel in how many racist terms they can come up with for our President. The silence was deafening after the results of the recent election. Now their vocal chords are again waking up as they parrot the right-wing diatribe of Fox News. Of course recognizing Rupert Murdoch for what he is I pay absolutely no attention to Fox News.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
It's interesting how in Warren county the bigoted chicken fried redneck way of thinking and life has collided with upscale commercial development. The rednecks who'd prefer Jim Crow back are losing and it's all about money. So, suburban sprawl cures redneckism. Who woulda thunk that the Pleasure Inn would be in Mason, of all places, or that the former Randy's Pool Hall in South Lebanon sponsored Klan marches down main street not even thirty years ago?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
It's interesting how in Warren county the bigoted chicken fried redneck way of thinking and life has collided with upscale commercial development. The rednecks who'd prefer Jim Crow back are losing and it's all about money. So, suburban sprawl cures redneckism. Who woulda thunk that the Pleasure Inn would be in Mason, of all places, or that the former Randy's Pool Hall in South Lebanon sponsored Klan marches down main street not even thirty years ago?
I agree with what you are saying. And you are right, money will override all of the narrow minded, bigoted tendencies. People simply want to live a peaceful life as quietly as they can. Those who are caught up in the prejudices of the past are slowly losing out.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM

31 posts, read 78,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree with what you are saying. And you are right, money will override all of the narrow minded, bigoted tendencies. People simply want to live a peaceful life as quietly as they can. Those who are caught up in the prejudices of the past are slowly losing out.
That's nice to know. More than likely my world in Cincinnati will be limited to the core area of the city as it has been here in Columbus. I live in a neighborhood just east of downtown that is similar to East Walnut Hills. With the exception of traveling to Gahanna for work, I rarely went outside the city much. Maybe to Easton on occasion.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
I'm not gay or black or anything that would MAKE me feel like my world was restricted to certain neighborhoods, yet I find little if any occasion to frequent West Chester, Mason, or South Lebanon, and strangely enough, I don't feel like I am missing out anything. Why should you care, OP? I mean, really, if people have an attitude and want to find racism and bigotry, you will find it ANYWHERE. I say, get over it and live your life. Frankly, my black friends, who coincidentally don't dress like thugs and have jobs and live like normal people, don't experience racism in Cincinnati. It has more to do with how you act than what or who you are. Likewise, unless you are some in-your-face gay activist queen, I don't think anyone is going to much care what you do in your bedroom.

Enjoy East Walnut Hills. Your neighbor Walnut Hills is on the threshold of some exciting improvements that will make the drive over to Clifton much more interesting, and with time may preclude your need to drive to Clifton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati