U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nindels3 View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome. I only mention all this out of personal experience where I had heard how awful CPS was supposed to be. After learning about, and navigating the system myself I have been pleasantly surprised with my experiences. And have also learned that there are excellent educational options within CPS. This is in spite of the district itself being burdened with under performing schools.

Best of luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
Mason sounds nice! Do you know anything about the Anderson area?
Anderson is an area with a good reputation. There are two high schools, Anderson and Turpin depending on where in the Forest Hills District you are located.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

13,727 posts, read 22,861,903 times
Quote:
Mason sounds nice! Do you know anything about the Anderson area?

The major advantages of Anderson include:

1) Affordable housing at a wide variety of pricing levels. There are mega-mansions as well as older established neighborhoods with well built homes at reasonable prices. Also, most of the developments have partially wooded lots.

2) Since Anderson is UNINCORPORATED, there are no local income taxes. That makes it particularly attractive to those who own their own business.

3) The Forest Hills School District ranks very high SYSTEM-WIDE in the state testing. Your child does NOT have to play a lottery or to take a test to get into a decent school. It is also a school district that has very solid parental support and has excellent extracurricular activities.

One more thing, my father has lived in Anderson since 1962. In his neighborhood, about 50% of the people have lived on the street for 10+ years. A good number of the other folks are people who transferred in to work for the various large employers in the area. Your children will NOT be the only NEW kids in school at a particular time.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM

The only problem with the argument over the lack of income tax in unincorporated areas is how many people are both going to live in and work in unincorporated areas? If they are going to get you where you work, why care about where you live?

Consider Mason, it is 1% regardless of work or live here. But they have voted in reciprocity, meaning if you pay more than 1% where you work you owe Mason nothing. But let's say where you live they collect over 1%. Depending on their reciprocity agreement, you may owe where you live the (1) whole amount, (2) over the 1% you pay Mason, or (3) nothing. These local income tax rules are worth taking note of.

When my company moved from Norwood to Mason, I figured I got a raise. At that time I was paying Norwood over 2% in city income tax. At that time I was paying Mason 0.5% (1.0% minus the half percent I was credited for Norwood). So with the move I figured a 1.5% raise just due to the city income tax. But that turned out to be just a part of it. My automobile insurance went down considerably since I was reclassified from a daily commute of XX miles from a rural community to an urban site. Suddenly I was classified as less than 3 miles from work. That was a biggie!

Of course the fact I was no longer getting on an Interstate to go to work, could walk if I really wanted to, etc. meant the wear and tear on the vechicles dropped dramatically. I retired in 2003, and we still have a 2001 which has not reached 50,000 miles. I intend to run that car into the ground.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 PM

13,727 posts, read 22,861,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The only problem with the argument over the lack of income tax in unincorporated areas is how many people are both going to live in and work in unincorporated areas? If they are going to get you where you work, why care about where you live?.
First, a lot of my friends have professional practices and work where THEY want to work. They choose NOT to work in the city to avoid the 2% income taxes.

In many OHIO communities, especially the Cleveland suburbs you get taxed in BOTH communities and there may or may NOT be reciprocity. I have filed more RITA and other local returns over the years and that was a significant incentive to leave the state.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM

jlawrence01...

That was your decision, but please stop comtaminating the people thinking about moving here. You are free to express your opinion, just make it plain it is your opinion. Those who want to work in non-income tax areas are free to do so, especially the self-employed. They can also elect to live in non-income tax areas. But that is definitely going to constrain their choices.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,575,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Seriously. That was the dumbest post I have seen from you yet techno.

For those interested in what it actually takes to get into SCPA from 4th grade onwards here are some links.

SCPA
http://www.scpak12.org/resources/upl...rades_4-12.pdf

The School for Creative & Performing Arts

Walnut Hills
Walnut Hills High School Cincinnati, Ohio 45207

As I said earlier. It's inaccurate to say SCPA has an entrance exam because an entrance exam is a written academic test. Walnut Hills does have an entrance exam.

But as for SCPA:
I looked over the packet. It looks like the "audition" is an evaluation of the students capabilities in a variety of areas. And if the student doesn't perform at a certain level, except in the areas where "probationary" status is mentioned, they will not be allowed entrance into the program.

Call it what you want, but the audition is still an examination to determine whether the student is granted entry into the program.

I taught school for 30+ years and gave many tests and exams that were not written.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM

34,667 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Is Centerville an option for you? I'm not sure if it's too far for you, or not, but their schools and sports programs are really exceptional.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 PM

13 posts, read 17,585 times
Great info. about Anderson. Thank you very much!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,866,409 times
SPCA has alot of problems with this academic, sochial and bullying even those its a really nice school.source:cousin used to go their
Walnut Hills-is a different story, yes they also have issues like most school but there academic is great in fact they were i think named the 32 or 34 best public high school in america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or