U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,938,347 times

Advertisements

Lakota
Sycamore
Wyoming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Lakota
Sycamore
Wyoming
I would only add Mason as it also has a high academic rating, actually higher than Lakota and one of the highest in the state. I have already posted concerning the athletic and music programs.

Wyoming has a very strong academic reputation, and reasonable athletics for a division II school. But there is just no way it can offer the depth of athletic competition compared to schools like Lakota and Mason. Whether it is the major sports such as football, baseball, and basketball, or down the line through soccer, track, wrestling, swimming, tennis, and golf these schools offer exposure to state level competition on a regular basis. Of course these large schools also have tough competition to qualify for the teams. I must comment the girls teams are equally competitive compared to the boys and bring a lot of accolades to the schools.

Mason, Lakota East, Lakota West, and Sycamore all compete in the tough Greater Miami Conference which also includes Colerain, Fairfield, Hamilton, Middletown, Oak Hills, and Princton. In football, Colerain has won or shared the conference title for the last 13 years. They are undoubtedly a football powerhouse.

For the size of its student body, Sycamore has to be given credit for the willingness to go up against much larger schools in the GMC.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I taught school for 30+ years and gave many tests and exams that were not written.
As I stated to begin with, there is no written exam to get into SCPA. Only point I ever made. You can discuss all the various shades of meaning of the word exam and it has nothing to do with what I said. Point was made there is no WRITTEN EXAM. Got it yet? You taught school for 30 years and you don't get this? SCPA calls it an AUDITION..not a test..not an exam..not an entrance exam. AUDITION.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
As I stated to begin with, there is no written exam to get into SCPA. Only point I ever made. You can discuss all the various shades of meaning of the word exam and it has nothing to do with what I said. Point was made there is no WRITTEN EXAM. Got it yet? You taught school for 30 years and you don't get this? SCPA calls it an AUDITION..not a test..not an exam..not an entrance exam. AUDITION.
OK, I will chime in here. And maybe you, who has never taught a day of school in your life, should accept the fact an educational profesional says it is a test. You seem to be a little more than paranoid over this. I know you have no regard for my opinion, but frankly you are appearing to be a little silly saying it is an audition and not a test. I think the average person participating in this forum has the ability to differentiate, and the word audition is a test.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM

13 posts, read 17,579 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied with such helpful information. Can anyone tell me anything about Mariemont? From research, it looks like a nice area with great schools...although the schools are a little small, which may or may not be ideal for a relocating teenager. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nindels3 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied with such helpful information. Can anyone tell me anything about Mariemont? From research, it looks like a nice area with great schools...although the schools are a little small, which may or may not be ideal for a relocating teenager. Thanks.
Mariemont was one of the first planned communities in the US. It is named after Mary Emery who was behind its creation. Mariemont has its own very successful school district which it shares with Terrace Park. But you will find property in Mariemont is expensive. Nice yes, but expensive. You will find much of the property is on the small side by today's standards, but commands a high price due to the ambiance of the community. To me it is sort of the colonial Williamsburg of Cincinnati.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM

800 posts, read 696,982 times
>2) Since Anderson is UNINCORPORATED, there are no local income taxes.

Whatever. You most likely more than make up for that in increased transportation costs to wherever you work, since there is little access to public transportation, and of course Anderson is almost entirely inwalkable, meaning every chore burns up gas. So instead of paying a nominal tax to live somewhere where you can drive less or not at all, your transportation money goes to the Middle East. What a deal!

And once again the CPS haters make their presence known. Walnut Hills is almost certainly the best college prep public school in the area. Part of what makes it and SCPA great schools is there is little or no focus on sports, so I can't imagine that the social structure there revolves around jock "culture", unlike nearly every other high school in America.

Unfortunately the all-boys and coed Catholic schools are likewise plagued with jock and cheerleader culture, the exception being all-boys St. Xavier, which ironically has the area's dominant sports programs but has so many students (it has 1,500 students, all boys obviously) that the jocks are well outnumbered by the nerds.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
And once again the CPS haters make their presence known.
Just string the letters C-P-S together to bring them running. Same tired arguments. Same ignorant, outdated garbage. Not one of the bashers has ANY experience with CPS. Yet, they talk as experts on the matter. And really, there's only a vocal two to three of them out of everyone who posts here. The loud, ignorant minority.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Once again, our own preferences overshadow what the OP has expressed. In the opening statement it was said the son is active in wrestling, running track, and his school's string orchestra. Also there are two more siblings coming on behind him.

This literally screams out a suburban school with a well rounded sports and arts program. So two smaller schools Sycamore and Wyoming were recommended, followed up by larger schools like Lakota and Mason.

But because we did not recommend the only two schools CPS can brag about, the academically renowned Walnut Hills HS and the specialty SCPA we are bashing the City. Get it people, the OP expressed interest in a sports program along with a reasonable arts program. Their latest inquiry about Mariemont expressed concern the small size of the school may not be enthusiastic to a teenager. Depending on the level of competition the son is used to, this may be a valid concen.

The parochial HS system in Cincinnati offers both a good academic standard plus a very competitive sports agenda. But it is still parochial and expensive.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>2) Since Anderson is UNINCORPORATED, there are no local income taxes.

Whatever. You most likely more than make up for that in increased transportation costs to wherever you work, since there is little access to public transportation, and of course Anderson is almost entirely inwalkable, meaning every chore burns up gas. So instead of paying a nominal tax to live somewhere where you can drive less or not at all, your transportation money goes to the Middle East. What a deal!

And once again the CPS haters make their presence known. Walnut Hills is almost certainly the best college prep public school in the area. Part of what makes it and SCPA great schools is there is little or no focus on sports, so I can't imagine that the social structure there revolves around jock "culture", unlike nearly every other high school in America.

Unfortunately the all-boys and coed Catholic schools are likewise plagued with jock and cheerleader culture, the exception being all-boys St. Xavier, which ironically has the area's dominant sports programs but has so many students (it has 1,500 students, all boys obviously) that the jocks are well outnumbered by the nerds.

Um, the OP said her son was a wrestler and track runner, so just maybe she wouldn't view a school with "little or no focus on sports" as quite as desirable as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or