U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM

13 posts, read 17,586 times

Advertisements

Hello! Is there an area of Cincinnati that is more open, or friendly even, to newcomers? Thanks! We are a family of 5, two teens and a 10 yr old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindels3 View Post
Hello! Is there an area of Cincinnati that is more open, or friendly even, to newcomers? Thanks! We are a family of 5, two teens and a 10 yr old.
Well, overall I feel it ultimately depends on you and your families willingness to be friendly and meet folks. I have lived in CUF (Clifton Heights) for two years now and have developed a very extensive network of friends and families. I have a six year old. My neighborhood has a lot of college kids, young professionals, a smattering of hipsters, working class families, doctors, professors, etc. It's very diverse and mostly hectic with a very young energy.

I shopped a lot of neighborhoods on the west side, such as Price Hill and liked the housing stock but hesitated to move there once I understood a lot of people have been there their entire lives, married the girl/boy down the street, etc. So Cincinnati has it's provincial side as well.

Me and my family have managed to do what we have done because we live in a faster paced, more transient neighborhood and we are outgoing people who will speak to people on the street and go knock on the neighbors door to introduce ourselves.

From what I am learning of you, it seems you guys would prefer the outlying suburbs and I have no experience with them. I can only assume people would be friendly, but have no way of saying for sure.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindels3 View Post
I think you would like the suburbs such as Mason, West Chester, and Liberty Township. I say this mainly due to the fact they have been experiencing rapid growth so a large percentage of people are new to the community. This by necessity means an absence of cliques since so many are in the position of having to make new friends. West Chester and Liberty Township are both in the Lakota School District in Butler Co. across the county line from Mason which is in Warren Co. West Chester and Liberty are both townships while Mason is an incorporated city.

I live in Mason, and have for 37 years, so naturally I am more partial to it. I have seen it grow from a sleepy farming community to a robust small city with a number of amenities. My 4 children went to Mason schools, but they were much smaller back then.

I only have a brushing knowledge of Anderson Twp., having some work associates who lived there. Wih the exception of the far eastern portions, most of the housing will be older than the aforementioned areas.

Both Lakota and Mason are large school districts. If this is a concern and you want something smaller, I always point to Blue Ash, which is in the Sycamore School District. The schools have historically ranked very high. In addition, Blue Ash has a very solid tax revenue source from a large industrial park on its northwest side. This allows the city to offer amenities other suburbs of similar size simply cannot do.
Several years ago the city sponsored a total rebuilding of the small downtown business core. They incorporated a square at which public events are held. The city recently completed in 2009 a rebuilt recreation center which is top notch (Mason completed in 2011 a major expansion to its community center).

The fact the city has now entered into an agreement to purchase the Blue Ash Airport property, actually owned by the city of Cincinnati, and declared it will develop it into a park just makes me more enthusiastic. It should be a fantastic addition to Blue Ash. The industrial park I spoke of earlier was originally intended to be part of the new Cincinnati Munincipal Airport before CVG jumped the gun and beat them to the punch. Of course that is not the only circumstance when Cincinnati has been slow on the draw. It ended up being an absolute windfall to Blue Ash. By the time it was recognized there would never be a major airport built there, housing, etc. development had already expanded well beyond I-275.

Suddenly, Blue Ash finds it has this large tract of property available for commercial development. Thank you very much Santa Claus.

I never hesitate to recommend Blue Ash because it has the resources to sponsor a lot of public events which other suburbs can only drool over. My daughter and son-in-law are members of the 100-Division Army Reserve band out of Fort Knox Ky. For a number of years now the band has come to Blue Ash to march in their Memorial Day parade and play a concert on the square. Certainly the band has to search places to perform to satisfy their mandate, but Blue Ash goes above the call. Blue Ash covers their meals while they are here, and the band members love it. The only place they feel as comfortable in as Blue Ash is Gatlinburg, TN where they have performed in the July 4th Midnight Parade about as long as they have been coming to Blue Ash.

You cannot go wrong living anywhere in Blue Ash, and there are many places to select from.

In my mind, the question comes down to where is the employment? This is something you have not yet commented on. If downtown, I feel Anderson Twp and Blue Ash are a tossup. No major difference one over the other. Mason, Westchester, and Liverty Twp. are definitely further out.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,143,643 times
Never understood the whole hipster thing. Hopefully this trend will pass like all the rest.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,704,790 times
^ No argument here, masmodder--but just one question... Exactly how did "hipsters" enter this conversation?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM

13 posts, read 17,586 times
Thanks for all this great info!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 AM

363 posts, read 833,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I shopped a lot of neighborhoods on the west side, such as Price Hill and liked the housing stock but hesitated to move there once I understood a lot of people have been there their entire lives, married the girl/boy down the street, etc. So Cincinnati has it's provincial side as well.
That's why I recommend Norwood to a lot of people. One of urban Cincinnati's "friendlier" communities.

Lifelong Norwood resident: "You're not from around here, are you? Where are you from?"
Me: "I'm from Pennsylvania."
Norwood resident: "Are you a Steeler fan?"
Me: "No."
Norwood resident: "Steve, get this guy a beer and a coney!"

Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,143,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ No argument here, masmodder--but just one question... Exactly how did "hipsters" enter this conversation?
I was just commenting on TomJones' mention of hipsters being in the area. I find the whole hand-me-down appearance which attempts to present the image that they are not a slave to trends or fashions to be a good source of entertainment. Couple that with Andy Warhol-like glasses with unshaven, unkept shaggy hair and retro Converse sneakers for even more laughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
My neighborhood has a lot of college kids, young professionals, a smattering of hipsters, working class families, doctors, professors, etc. assume people would be friendly, but have no way of saying for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati