U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,949 times

Advertisements

I've done quite a bit of research on the area but have not found an answer fully applicable to my situation and wanted to run it by the folks here.

I'll be working in Hartwell and in a few months the girlfriend will be coming to the area also, with either one or two of her children (10 and 13).

Her main concern is a good school for either of them, and mine is not getting robbed, assaulted, etc. I looked at the crime stats and am a little apprehensive.

The best part about Wichita is the absence of traffic congestion, and though I live 15 miles from my current job, I can make the drive in about 15 minutes. I would prefer to keep it reasonably close to that (or better).

Blue Ash, looks like a logical choice on paper, but there are other areas that might fit the bill also.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 AM

363 posts, read 832,166 times
Why not Wyoming? It's right up Vine Street from Hartwell and is relatively safe, quiet, and has decent schools.

On a side note: Hartwell is far from crime-ridden. Once you're in the area for a few months, explore your surroundings during the day or whenever you are comfortable doing so. Cincinnati is a wonderful city with too many negative stereotypes attached to it.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Blue Ash is fine and in the excellent Sycamore school district. The type of housing you are looking for will be the key. The Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway is quick access to Hartwell.

Wyoming has excellent schools and is a safe quiet place. Again the only problem may by the type of housing you are looking for as Wyoming is not very large so availability is limited.

North of I-275 are West Chester Twp and then Mason. Both have excellent schools. West Chester Twp is closer to Hartwell and is very large Twp with a population exceeding 60,000.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM

It has been quite a few years since I was in Wichita, but I do remember I always enjoyed visiting there. Wichita dominates its metropolitan area, being about 55% of the total population. As you may already realize this is the opposite of Cincinnati which is only about 1/7 of its metropolitan area, if that much.

I am sure a lot of this has to do with the fact Wichita is flat as a pancake, and therefore just kind of annexed as it went along. The topography of Cincinnati just naturally creates many more dividers and impediments to smooth annexation. This takes some getting used to.

Once you get north of Cincinnati to Mason, you being to encounter what I call the southern Ohio plateau. This is about as flat as Kansas. The plateau was scrapped flat by the ice age glacers. Western and Central Ohio are flat as can be. It is only Eastern and Southeastern Ohio when you get into the foothills of the Appalachians when hills again dominate.

Of course Cincinnati along the Ohio is a totally different story But if you inspect closely, KY south of Cincinnati is hilly everywhere, it is hard to find a flat plot of ground. But that is due to the fact the glaciers stopped about where the Ohio River is now, and they left piles of rock everywhere. As this was basically rubble, it was easy for the river to carve a channel through it.

You expressed desiring good schools for the GF's children and you want an absolutely safe neighborhood. Start with Blue Ash to see if you can meet your housing needs. The commute to Hartwell is Duck Soup. If that doesn't work out, look north towards West Chester and Mason. I can go south on I-71 to Cross County and west over to Colerain Ave. in under 30 minutes. If I was getting off in Hartwell I would estimate 15-20 minutes. And as I said the southern portions of West Chester Twp. are much closer.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the prompt responses. I never meant to suggest that Hartwell is crime-ridden, but on paper, Cincinnati as a whole, looks a little scary to my semi-rural eyes. I understand how stereotypes can perpetuate.

How is morning traffic on the RRCCH?

I guess I should amend that affordable housing is a consideration - I'll be renting until at least the spring. Housing seems to be cheaper in the area than Wichita, but rent is considerably higher.

Mason was on my short list also but wasn't sure about the drive - I seem to have overlooked West Chester and will investigate.

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Oh, and Wichita IS flat and one of the things I will not miss - the foothills are part of the draw. Visited the place I'll be working back in March and ended up visiting another facility in Richmond Kentucky - Enjoyed the scenery quite a bit. My boss drove me through the back roads to look at all the horse farms... Those "houses" were quite impressive.

Sorry for the redundant question regarding the Cross County - I had posted before refreshing

Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,297,189 times
Walk to work -- live in Hartwell inexpensively -- at least until the kids need a high school.
OR
Walk to work -- live in Wyoming for a bit more -- and the kids will not need to move until college.
I spent almost 20 years in Wyoming and loved it everyday. It's a beautiful, picturesque place.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyralArchytect View Post
Thanks for the prompt responses. I never meant to suggest that Hartwell is crime-ridden, but on paper, Cincinnati as a whole, looks a little scary to my semi-rural eyes. I understand how stereotypes can perpetuate.

How is morning traffic on the RRCCH?

I guess I should amend that affordable housing is a consideration - I'll be renting until at least the spring. Housing seems to be cheaper in the area than Wichita, but rent is considerably higher.

Mason was on my short list also but wasn't sure about the drive - I seem to have overlooked West Chester and will investigate.

Thanks for the input.
For what you're looking for, I agree with the previous Wyoming and Blue Ash recommendations.

Welcome to Cincinnati!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyralArchytect View Post
Thanks for the prompt responses. I never meant to suggest that Hartwell is crime-ridden, but on paper, Cincinnati as a whole, looks a little scary to my semi-rural eyes. I understand how stereotypes can perpetuate....
I don't know how Wichita compares, but in Cincinnati's older suburbs it can often be only a short distance between upscale and more downscale neighborhoods. Regardless of where you live a whole lot of the crime involves people who know each other. None of what I'd consider Cincinnati's dangerous areas have come up on this thread. I'm as risk averse a person as you'll find and would not consider most of Hartwell unsafe. And it happens to have one of Cincinnati Public's best elementary schools. This would not affect you directly, but cannot help but lift peoperty values in the area.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM

I believe the OP said he will be working in Hartwell. He first brought up Blue Ash as a potential living site, likely influenced by the subject of schools and safety discussed over and over on this forum.

Hartwell could be a potential short term rental location if he can find something suitable. He mentioned renting until at least spring which is not that far off. A short time living in Hartwell should reinforce his opinion of where he wants to live, one way or the other. Of course he should also have work associates to consult about where they recommend.

Since he seems to like getting away from the flat expanses of Wichita, consider Beckett Ridge north of I-275 and smack dab in the middle of the Mill Creek Valley. As the name implies it is a ridge of hills cropping up out of the flat valley floor. There are numerous rentals available there and could kill two birds with one stone. Determine whether the commute time is reasonable or something closer is desired, and determine whether West Chester offers a desirable living style or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati