U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM

682 posts, read 1,387,817 times

Advertisements

Urban malls are really a hard sell. The reason the one in Indy is sucessful is because of a thriving convention business, the fact that there are skyway system that connect all the major hotels and parking garages is a big plus.

The other thing is that Indianapolis has put a ton of money into improving streetscape. By that I mean the downtown is well lighted, well landscaped, signs are easy to read, there are a number of pedestrian spaces (like Georgia street) and there are bike lanes everywhere. That supports a lot on "non mall" street level retail. There is also a significant police presence downtown.

Personally I think the mall could be redeveloped into some sort of entertainment venue and condominiums. There simply isn't the kind of hotel/convention type business with visitors to sustain a mall here.

I think a big goal with city planners should be more connectivity between OTR which will eventually be a big residential center and the downtown. That might take the form of studying greater walkability, better lighting etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
^
they did the entertainment venue thing in Louisville. They had maybe the first attempt at a downtown mall in the region with that Galleria from the early 1980s, and now its a mix of food court & entertainment (eat/drink/party) places. It's a bit too forced for me, but maybe it appeals to the convention & after-work crowd.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
they did the entertainment venue thing in Louisville. They had maybe the first attempt at a downtown mall in the region with that Galleria from the early 1980s, and now its a mix of food court & entertainment (eat/drink/party) places. It's a bit too forced for me, but maybe it appeals to the convention & after-work crowd.
You're talking about Fourth Street Live in Louisville. I was there a couple of months ago and I didn't see much of a crowd but then again it was a little chilly that night.

I am curious as to how well Circle Centre in Indianapolis does. It really doesn't have many unique or destination shops and parking is twice what you would pay on a normal day parking in Cincinnati yet it has stores and doesn't seem to lose its appeal. And this is with the Keystone Mall just north of downtown which is very similar to Kenwood.

If Tower Place remains a mall it needs to have some destination shops and it has to be a good mix of stores that will attract visitors, downtown residents, and downtown employees. Get the right stores and the right restaurants and it will do okay. Try to make it like any other mall in the area and it will wind up in 5-10 years like it is today.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
I am of the opinion that Tower Place needs to be re-purposed.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,164,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
You're talking about Fourth Street Live in Louisville. I was there a couple of months ago and I didn't see much of a crowd but then again it was a little chilly that night.

I am curious as to how well Circle Centre in Indianapolis does. It really doesn't have many unique or destination shops and parking is twice what you would pay on a normal day parking in Cincinnati yet it has stores and doesn't seem to lose its appeal. And this is with the Keystone Mall just north of downtown which is very similar to Kenwood.

If Tower Place remains a mall it needs to have some destination shops and it has to be a good mix of stores that will attract visitors, downtown residents, and downtown employees. Get the right stores and the right restaurants and it will do okay. Try to make it like any other mall in the area and it will wind up in 5-10 years like it is today.
Well Keystone at the Crossing is more than just north of downtown, it's a hop, skip and a jump from the Hamilton County Line. CCM for an urban mall is still pretty successful. Parking is about the same, $1 - $1.50/hour in both cities. CCM still averages around 800k visitors per month, which isn't far off from before Nordstrom stuck with the north side locations. Granted the side where Nordstroms was can hit some dead zones because an anchor isn't there, the Carson Pirie Scott side is the exact opposite and has a good amount of hustle and bustle, plus being the only CSP south of US 30 is a bonus for them as it's the only one.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
Exactly. Filling Tower Place with mall stores was great for downtown residents or worker drones (I dropped quite a bit of $$ during my lunch hours ), but gave people who didn't work downtown little reason to make the trip.

Speaking of destination stores, how is Saks doing these days? I think I went in there precisely once; just a little out of my price range.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well Keystone at the Crossing is more than just north of downtown, it's a hop, skip and a jump from the Hamilton County Line. CCM for an urban mall is still pretty successful. Parking is about the same, $1 - $1.50/hour in both cities. CCM still averages around 800k visitors per month, which isn't far off from before Nordstrom stuck with the north side locations. Granted the side where Nordstroms was can hit some dead zones because an anchor isn't there, the Carson Pirie Scott side is the exact opposite and has a good amount of hustle and bustle, plus being the only CSP south of US 30 is a bonus for them as it's the only one.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't spent much time in Indy for about a decade now but I could have sworn it took me less than 30 minutes to get downtown from Keystone. I thought the parking rates were higher but then again if they are about the same, shouldn't a mall of this type work in Cincinnati?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly. Filling Tower Place with mall stores was great for downtown residents or worker drones (I dropped quite a bit of $$ during my lunch hours ), but gave people who didn't work downtown little reason to make the trip.

Speaking of destination stores, how is Saks doing these days? I think I went in there precisely once; just a little out of my price range.
Well, let's say my better half has some expensive tastes. We find our way there several times a month. I wouldn't say that it is hopping, but at times there can be quite a crowd. It depends on the time and day. I wouldn't say that it is doing great but I think it does okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or