Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,268 times

Advertisements

How many out there went to SVF grade school? There was talk of a reunion of all classes from the late 50's early 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTIENS View Post
How many out there went to SVF grade school? There was talk of a reunion of all classes from the late 50's early 60's.
I remember SVF from years ago. The original building looked like some aircraft hanger, just plain ugly. But I believe it has been rebuilt since then.

As I commented earlier, both sets of my grandparents lived on side streets off of Plainfield and Blue Ash roads, believe they were both in Silverton, but not positive. I have many memories of the area, as my parents continued to due business with a small grocery store on Ohio Ave., last owned by and called Judys, and the Silverton Bank long after we moved to Madeira.

After the Silverton Bank sold out, my mother moved their accounts to the Deer Park Savings & Loan. They eventually sold out to Peoples Community Bank who were on an expansion spree. Apparently this did not work out as they sold out to First Financial Bank.

Back when we moved to Madeira, my dad put a bid in on a small farm at the intersection of Kenwood and Montgomery. His bid was turned down and the owners eventually got their price. I think it was not anticipated what the value of the land would become when the original Kenwood Plaza was built.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 5,946 times
Default Montgomery Road

The candy company is Esther Price, The Kon-Tike was an oriental rest down from Plainfield, Mio's Pizza was also right there (great pizza), a well-known rest was Grafton's (yummy) in Silverton, Marathron in Silverton (now Silverton Grill) had the best and largest double-decker in the city, Robinhood was bar on corner of Montgomery and Ridge...Lite House was at Plainfield and Montgomery, Pleasant Ridge Chili was late night food spot. Remember lots about this area.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Junior Achievement was in the space originally the Silverton Five & Dime. After JA vacated the space the Marathon Inn moved from their original location in the mid-block and installed a large lounge in the rear of the building. Guess they figured booze would have more profit than chili and double-deckers. That is the space the Silverton Grill is at now.

One of the places I still visit with my retiree buddies is Chicken-On-The-Run at the northern end of Ohio Ave. We have a traveling monthly lunch group. Frankly COTR is a dump, but we continue to go here for nostalgia reasons and several members of our group live in northern Silverton/Deer Park.

Silverton has good memories for me. Those who remember the original Perkins Pancake House on Plainfield, yes the precursor of the chain, might also remember the Perkins Bakery in the same block before that. I remember when my mother would visit the grandparents in Deer Park, and we would walk to Silverton. After shopping at Albers, where a relative was a cashier, we would stop in Perkins Bakery where the nice lady behind the counter always gave me a cookie. I also remember Milton's Barber Shop, on Plainfield just a block or so north of Montgomery where I got my hair cut for years.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 636 times
Default Strip Between Silvercrest and Garden

The drug store at the corner of Montgomery Rd and Silvercrest Drive was Spreen's until about 1970, when it became Nightingale, and they took out the soda fountain. The strip also included Dr. Heiler (dentist), Baas Bakery (later Kenwood Pastry), and Westendorf's grocery.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 PM

205 posts, read 984,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave45236 View Post
The drug store at the corner of Montgomery Rd and Silvercrest Drive was Spreen's until about 1970, when it became Nightingale, and they took out the soda fountain. The strip also included Dr. Heiler (dentist), Baas Bakery (later Kenwood Pastry), and Westendorf's grocery.
The drug store had a soda fountain as you mentioned and I remember sitting at their counter and getting a Cherry Coke in the early 60's

Westendorfs was at the other end at the corner of Garden and I went there many times and can still remember buying a pack of football cards also in the early 60's

Directly across Montgomery was an animal clinic where a very special person worked for a short time around 1970.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 4,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
The drug store had a soda fountain as you mentioned and I remember sitting at their counter and getting a Cherry Coke in the early 60's

Westendorfs was at the other end at the corner of Garden and I went there many times and can still remember buying a pack of football cards also in the early 60's

Directly across Montgomery was an animal clinic where a very special person worked for a short time around 1970.
Yes i remember this area and those stores.Lived in Blue Ash 1956 -1971 Worked at Howard Johnsons as my first job in high school. Took guitar lessons from Bruce Hock at buddy rogers music and in silverton dont remember the name.Remember the southeast corner of kenwood and montgomery Rd there was a put put golf,trampoline place, empty field.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati