Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 14,743 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Terrace Park from out of state - and are just about to close on a house in Terrace Park. The house needs tons of work - remodel the kitchen, new master suite, including bathroom, as well as a possible addition to the family room - so its a big renovation.

Since we are new to the area we would really appreicate some recommendations for contractors who are capable to handle this big of a job and are trustworthy (we won't be onsite full time so we this is key)

thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
If you need plumbing and heating, I would recommend Holtmeier Plumbing -- not cheap, necessarily, but very good and that will save you money, and the owners are wonderful guys -- and Geiler Heating & Cooling.

Welcome to Cincinnati!

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 11-17-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegohurryup View Post
We are moving to Terrace Park from out of state - and are just about to close on a house in Terrace Park. The house needs tons of work - remodel the kitchen, new master suite, including bathroom, as well as a possible addition to the family room - so its a big renovation.

Since we are new to the area we would really appreicate some recommendations for contractors who are capable to handle this big of a job and are trustworthy (we won't be onsite full time so we this is key)

thanks so much
I would concentrate on one thing - getting a prime contractor to be responsible for the entire job. Yes they will charge you for obtaining the sub-contractors, but in the long run it should pay off in the complete job. Are the renovations extensive enough you will be needing some architectural plans? If so, I would start with the architect, obviously one with experience in remodel. Ask for and contact customer references on jobs of this scale. It sounds like you will be requiring a number of different trades on this job. Running around and trying to identify them on your own, particularly when new to the area, is not the way to go. As I said, ask for references from the one you are considering as prime and check them out.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegohurryup View Post

thanks so much
My own experiences have left me cynical, and I have no recommendations for you. That said, I cringed when I read the parenthetical phrase at the end of your post. Offhand, I'd say that in the world of general renovation contractors who could be trusted to get the job done without your constant on-site supervision, you're down to a miniscule number. And a bulletin board such as this one is not the place you'll likely find them. Suggest you start by asking your realtor or others in your new neighborhood who've done a similar renovation. Best wishes on your move.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
My own experiences have left me cynical, and I have no recommendations for you. That said, I cringed when I read the parenthetical phrase at the end of your post. Offhand, I'd say that in the world of general renovation contractors who could be trusted to get the job done without your constant on-site supervision, you're down to a miniscule number. And a bulletin board such as this one is not the place you'll likely find them. Suggest you start by asking your realtor or others in your new neighborhood who've done a similar renovation. Best wishes on your move.
I have similar feelings to you. That is why I said you first need someone who will function as the prime contractor. Whoever is recommended to you, either by a realtor or others, be sure and get references as to similar jobs they have done in the past. Then check those references. Call the people and ask them what kind of problems if any they had in getting their job done. Be very point blank, that is what references are for. And don't stop with one reference, ask for at least three. Anyone who doesn't have at least three satisfied customers you don't want to be doing business with.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
OK ... so as Sarah basically said ... you need a company that can be trusted.

I was going to post KMS Plumbing & Remodeling as an option but held back because they are small.

However, Kevin who runs the company knows everyone in Cinti, and moreover, is a moral man, an excellent builder, and can be trusted. We hired KMS to work on 2 homes we owned: the first, to prepare it to sell (Wyoming, OH) & the other time when we bought our current home. They did plumbing (Kevin's license), bathroom tile work, new deck & new roof. They pointed out to us the short-cuts the original builder took & how their job would better the project.
And they really take pride in their work. 513-259-0237.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
OK ... so as Sarah basically said ... you need a company that can be trusted.

I was going to post KMS Plumbing & Remodeling as an option but held back because they are small.

However, Kevin who runs the company knows everyone in Cinti, and moreover, is a moral man, an excellent builder, and can be trusted. We hired KMS to work on 2 homes we owned: the first, to prepare it to sell (Wyoming, OH) & the other time when we bought our current home. They did plumbing (Kevin's license), bathroom tile work, new deck & new roof. They pointed out to us the short-cuts the original builder took & how their job would better the project.
And they really take pride in their work. 513-259-0237.
I understand how you like one specific company, and that is fine. But I still go back to the fact they need a prime contractor, the one who will take responsibility for everyone else. If KMS will do that, fine and dandy. And BTW this includes paying the subs. You pay the prime and they pay the subs. You can play it on the cheap, but because you are out of your element will probably be shafted in the long run.

Search for a prime and check out all of their references. Then sit down with them and go over everything you want done. Have them identify where you need additional subs, whether it be electrical, plumbing, drywall, cabinetry, painting, or any other of the skill trades. If you need some plans to satisfy building permits and codes, identify the architect. Have them get the prices from the various subs, be plain and state these are firm prices, not estimates. Then draw up the contract Be sure and include a completion date commitment. Any commitment date should include a penalty if not realized otherwise it is not a commitment. Act like you know what you are doing. Once all of the prices are in review and ask is this what we anticipated when we bought this house? If the costs cause you to take a deep breath then pause and determine what you may defer to later.

I go this far in the subject just because there are so many people who get burnt every day. The three LBI, licensed, bonded and insured certainly apply here. Each workman must be licensed to perform their job, they must be bonded they will complete the job correctly, and insured to cover any on the job injuries to their employees or property damage caused by them.

If you want a good education, go out and look up Mechanics Lien. This is bascially a legal lien filed against a property by a workman contending he was not paid for either services rendered or materials supplied. It is pretty powerful stuff. I remember my father filing a few, usually involving an Erpenbeck type who did not pay the suppliers or contractors. The poor homeowner is caught in the middle, losing any downpayment they had rendered and usually the entire property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati