U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,748,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero528 View Post
They have since lowered the house price on Bellewood, but I still think it is in the upper range for the neighborhood. The house we are looking at in Mariemont, is at the bottom of the price range for the area. We would rather be on the bottom end of the price range, though both neighborhoods will have houses more expensive than what we are looking for.

We do like the fact that Pleasant ridge has more diversity. We both grew up in areas of relative diversity, and would like that for our kids. That isn't a primary concern for us, though.

The 40s/50s houses in Madeira are actually the reason we have stayed away from there. Otherwise it looks nice. We would really rather a house with character. That is very high on our list.
It's a tough choice! Buying a house or property always involves some level of compromise. You can never get everything you want, even if you have all the money in the world. I think you've got some solid options neighborhood-wise. The house itself is a whole other story, of course. Make sure you find a good inspector! And try not to be freaked out by cracks in plaster walls, that's what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 4,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
It's a tough choice! Buying a house or property always involves some level of compromise. You can never get everything you want, even if you have all the money in the world. I think you've got some solid options neighborhood-wise. The house itself is a whole other story, of course. Make sure you find a good inspector! And try not to be freaked out by cracks in plaster walls, that's what they do.
I've noticed that! We have a great realtor(used to be a builder), and will most certainly get the house thoroughly inspected. Neither of us have any experience with buying a house!

Thanks for all the help. We both love Cincy, even though we have only been here 8 months!

Another questions, though. Do any of you have any idea on what areas of the city lean which way politically? Are local politics very partisan here? It's not really a big deal either way, but we are quite liberal people, and wouldn't mind being close friend with others who are. As long as people are nice, though, it doesn't matter to us.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,980,472 times
If you look at the post-election maps, they'll show Hamilton and Montgomery (home of Dayton) Counties in blue. All the others clear to Columbus and Athens are red. Clue One.
There isn't all that much of a dichotomy between the major political parties thereabouts, although the D's tend to be "squishy moderate" while the R's lean more to the right. Clifton is probably the mostly heavily progressive-thinking neighborhood in town - no surprise since it's the home of UC. Right up there with it are the adjoining CUF (Clifton/University/Fairview Heights) and North Avondale sections of town. And nearby Northside is sometimes ridiculed for the quantity of Priuses and Subarus garaged there.
The more affluent suburbs, Mariemont and yet-to-be-mentioned Wyoming included, are fairly diverse philosophically and politically. I was raised in the latter village and can vouch for that. My parents think along moderate-rightwing lines - let's just say I don't, and leave it there. Once while I was in my teens, I answered the phone to hear, "GOYGUY!!! DID YOU HEAR WHAT THOSE DAMN DEMOCRATS JUST DID???" I replied, "You're looking for Goyguy Sr. Hold on." LOL Point being, the folks have always been open to differing biases and have kept a huge number of friends from across that spectrum. And they taught me well, 'cause one of my "nearest and dearest" neighbors on the street where I live now - in a far more left-progressive place - was a Republican to the point of being a "birther." So you're definitely on the right track as far as principled socializing is concerned. Cincinnatians are a great deal friendlier by nature, as a rule, than citizens of the larger US cities can be. But you should keep your political thoughts close to the vest at the outset of a relationship - and, naturally, maintain a sense of humor.
A selling point of Pleasant Ridge is its local Montessori school; these types of schools are well liked by the parents who send their kids to them and quite often turn out successful alumni. (One of my nephews attended one in the suburbs.) In Cincinnati they've historically been ranked among the highest-performing, yet the one in Pleasant Ridge is still mired in the lower levels. With its having existed less than five years I think that can be chalked up - so to speak - to "growing pains." And Walnut Hills, perennially turning out to be "the best of the best" of the state's high schools, awaits those who can pass its entrance exam. But a safer bet for academics would be Mariemont to be sure.
Within the Queen City there are many neighborhoods which boast Tudor houses that are gorgeous and well maintained. The down side is that these communities by and large can be characterized as typical urban areas. One part can be tranquil with chirping birds in leafy trees, but don't make a wrong turn. I did a "windshield tour" of about a dozen streets in one of my favorite parts of town last month, drinking in the sights of the attractive homes with shaded yards. Then I drove along its main thoroughfare and saw nothing that could be perceived as more than - ahem - downscale. Although there are plenty of "gems" to be had at amazing prices, I wouldn't recommend anybody's going in cold without a lot of knowledge about the immediate surroundings. So for that reason I won't bring up the names of any of these locales, except to reassure that Pleasant Ridge doesn't carry with it the potential risks of crime etc.
My take is that Mariemont could well fit all your criteria, save perhaps for commute time in one case (Eastgate is a hop/skip/jump away.) I really like its village square, not only for the fact that there's a cinema and a Graeter's there. The "bad" section of Madisonville is buffered by Fairfax and "unincorporated" Madison Place, so I don't think there's much if any infiltration by a criminal element except for maybe drug dealers summoned there by customers.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,413,605 times
Ignore the politics. There is just not much of a rabid interest around this area. You can say it is more conservative and tends to vote Republican, but I feel you will have little problem wherever you settle.

On the matter of buying a house, it is amazing how your attitude suddenly changes. You fcind dozens and dozens of things you want to change. Resist this. Move in with what you've got and ignore all of the deficiencies. I would like to replace this, we need something here in this vacant space, etc. Move in, settle down, and then start making a list. Go around the entire house and write down what you would like to change. Then take the list and rank everything according to cost. Then go back over the list and rank everything according to both financial and visual impact. Decide which things are just too minor to be concerned about, and prioritize the remaining. Discuss a potential time frame when finances will permit it to happen. One of the things we found successful was to decide what item you will give each other for the house for Christmas. Surprising how you can decide on a home upgrade instead of an individual gift.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,413,605 times
Some things change drastically over the years. 50 years ago this past October the wife and I were married. At that time Kroger was running a store promotion involving dinnerware. They sent you a coupon for the first place setting free. It was a nice place setting, consisting of a dinner plate, salad plate, desert plate, soup bowel, and cup and saucer. It was a quite delicate appearing china, silver rimmed, with a nice decorative pattern. I believe the name was Autumn Wheat. My mother got on the phone, called all the relatives and said go get your free place setting and give it to Ken & Bonnie for their wedding. And as the weeks went on prior to the wedding, buy the serving pieces such as meat platters, gravy boats, vegetable dishes, etc. and incorporate that into your present.

We ended up with 16 full place settings plus a number of extra pieces as Kroger gave out a coupon for some pieces free plus a discount to fill out the place setting.

We just brought it out last Thursday for Thanksgiving. We only needed 13 place settings which was easy, we still have a full 16. After 50 years I am not too proud to say our fine china was a Kroger promotion. After dinner, the grandkids wanted to put the dishes in the dishwasher. My oldest daughter said No Way, this stuff has survived 50 years and you will stand there and dry it as I wash and rinse it. Then back into the protective enclosures we have bought and back into the buffet.

Frankly I have not seen a grocery store promotion equal to this since.

The only problem with the promotion was after we were married I had to go down to Pogue's and purchase a 16 setting silver service. Luckily they had a Gorham Silver Service on sale and I could pay it off over a period of years.

So our Thanksgiving breakout was for the dinnerware and the silverware.

As you are not yet married yet, set some sights on what your objectives are and how you plan to get there.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,748,926 times
what an interesting story, kjbrill. thanks for sharing

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
what an interesting story, kjbrill. thanks for sharing
Yeah, I consider myself lucky to have scored an interesting, sturdy, scallop-patterned glass candy dish during an Exxon promotion in the '90s. To this day I use it, lately as an ideally sized water bowl for the cats.
Back when people put money into S & L's, which is to say when you could earn tangible interest by doing so, the new-customer promotions were pretty good. I still wish I'd opened an account at one place to obtain the free cookware they offered - it was Mirro ("quality" brand) and you could build a full set with each new deposit of X amount of dollars.
These promos all went the way of trading-stamp books and their associated "redemption centers," sad to say.

I echo the sound advice to make a purchase that appeals, "as is," and make the home your own as time progresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or