U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,710 times

Advertisements

Is living on the first floor on Ferdinand Place (near Hyde Park Square) safe?

Any recommendations? Is this area good, or should it be avoided?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Out of the hundreds of street names in Cincinnati my minutiae-trap mind has stored, that's not one of them. Regardless, Hyde Park Square is a very safe area - relatively speaking, since it's a city neighborhood. You'd not want to leave doors/windows unlocked while away from home, ditto for your car. About the only crime that visits thereabouts is the occasional smash-and-grab robbery from a store after hours. (One jeweler learned the hard way to clean out their display window while closed for business.) With the Graeter's ice cream parlor on Erie Ave, as well as several bars/restaurants on Edwards Rd, open late there's a lot of pedestrian traffic until late - which makes for a much greater perception, and reality, of being safe at night.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
I'm inclined to respectfully disagree with goyguy, in that spot crime shows HP has it's fair share of burglaries as well.

Hyde Park, Cincinnati, OH Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

Since it's an apartment complex, it's hard to say. I would speculate it's fine, but I would go there and check it out if I were you. Also take a trip over there on a weekend evening as well. Personally, I always avoided the first floor in any of the apartment complexes I lived in. But that's just me.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Point taken w/o offense, that's why I wrote about "relative security" and advocated for never leaving the house with windows/doors unlocked. B & E perpetrators - like bank robbers, in the immortal words of Willie Sutton - enjoy plying their craft in areas like Clifton and Hyde Park because "that's where the money is." These are also neighborhoods that are on the transient side on streets where apartments are prevalent. When a building's inhabited by people who stay strangers to one another, nobody looks out of place. But all this is Urban Living 101 and doesn't reflect on the overall safety of either of those communities. Avoid? No. Take common-sense precautions? Yes.
The Goyguy Sr's, who are - shall we say - well into middle age, think nothing of their frequent trips to Hyde Park to keep medical/dental appointments, visit friends, go shopping, attend functions at Knox Presbyterian Church and elsewhere, etc. And they've always been wary types to say the least.
Apartments are pretty much perpetually available in Hyde Park as well as in adjoining Mt Lookout, so it's not as though you'd have to settle for a first-floor unit in a complex. You're bound to see "For Rent" signs on front lawns or in windows of any number of buildings - particularly along Edwards Rd and Linwood Ave. (The latter street originates in front of the Knox church, off Observatory Ave, and snakes its way downhill into Mt Lookout Square and on toward Mt Washington.) First-floor living doesn't faze me - I've owned the ground floor where I live for 20 years - but given a choice I'd opt for a small separate building over one in a complex. Cincinnati offers small, separate buildings by the bushel in the form of the ubiquitous "brick boxes" that are abundant along Linwood. As a rule brick boxes consist of two units on two levels, generally 1-BR or 2-BR, and include a laundry area in the basement. If you luck out you could set up housekeeping in one where everybody's neighborly and hangs out together. This isn't unusual in the Queen City, unlike where I've called home for a long time.
Holiday-season tip: get to the Busken Bakery at Madison and Edwards early to try the German-originated Cincy delicacy called "schnecken." They sell 'em by the truckload - glazed golden bricks of baked heaven about the size of a small loaf of bread, with some raisins and cinnamon spun in. Schnecken and cold milk go together like pizza and beer.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
Ferdinand is alright, although that apartment building at the end of the street is a bit long in the tooth. I can't say it is the most picturesque building I have ever seen, but I am not aware of any systemic problems there. I know a couple very well who lived on Ferdinand for many years and still own rental property there, and never had a problem. Also, Ferdinand is the street that borders the south side of the Drexel, the most upscale apartments in Oakley, although I'll grant that there is a security fence that runs the length of the street.

Also, from those apartments, there is a walking path through a wooded ravine that takes you past Oak Park Place and then up the hill to Mt. Vernon. I never figured out why it was there or who built it, but it can get you up to Oakley Square as an alternative to going down Isabella.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
haha, i know that street really well, i actually lived there for a while. funny to think of it as a potentially dangerous place. it's safe as a warm blanket on a saturday evening.

i'm a little confused about how to live on the first floor of a street. hopefully you are not actually living on the street. because it would get cold at night and they don't take kindly to bums around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati