U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM

11 posts, read 28,223 times

Advertisements

I am a newly engaged single mother of five wanting to relocate from charleston wv to cincinatti my oldest is away at college and i have a high schooler and three elementary students kindergarten, firstgrader and a fifth grader My finance has more than 20 years in the forklift warehouse industry and i have about the same in clerical and some medical experience also the previous post i asked about how hard is it to live there without some type of assistance and where are the nice unghetto neighborhoods and schools with diversity and someone basically told me i was gonna be a burden without any major sklls to bring to the table and to stay in West Virginia. Can i get a honest opinion without the judgemental brashness and snarky comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,408,144 times
The honest opinion does not have to be judgemental. The actual facts are jobs are scarce here in Cincinnati. There are thousands of people out of work. Many people are having difficulty with both members of the family working at fast food jobs which combined are less than a single manufacturing job of years past.

Some towns like Hamilton Ohio have a large percentage of people from Appalachia who came to this area years ago and found decent jobs in the factories which existed then. But those factory jobs are gone and those people are scraping for what jobs are available. I am not sure anyone meant to belittle you but simply to state that times are definiely tough here and there many more people contending for the available jobs.

Someone with forklift experience may find a job in one of the many distribution terminals located in this area. But my advice is secure the job before making the move.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,841,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2fivewv View Post
I am a newly engaged single mother of five wanting to relocate from charleston wv to cincinatti my oldest is away at college and i have a high schooler and three elementary students kindergarten, firstgrader and a fifth grader My finance has more than 20 years in the forklift warehouse industry and i have about the same in clerical and some medical experience also the previous post i asked about how hard is it to live there without some type of assistance and where are the nice unghetto neighborhoods and schools with diversity and someone basically told me i was gonna be a burden without any major sklls to bring to the table and to stay in West Virginia. Can i get a honest opinion without the judgemental brashness and snarky comments
I read your other post and Motorman's response. I can't disagree with him. He offered a good dose of reality. With that said, you can make it here if your skill set and tenacity is right.

Have you checked Cincinnati's Craiglist jobs section?

Do you have a competitive resume? Your husband?

Do you have savings for moving and living expenses?

Do you plan to have a job lined up before moving?

How will you move? Husband first who secures work and housing?

Just some thoughts.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM

well we will definitely have money saved and secure jobs first but after hearing no jobs i will consider somewhere else thanks for the input and being a litte nicer but i felt it was snarky because they didnt have to make the comment of dont burden cincinatti with further problems by coming there that comment wasnt needed

Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
well we will definitely have money saved and secure jobs first but after hearing no jobs i will consider somewhere else thanks for the input and being a litte nicer but i felt it was snarky because they didnt have to make the comment of dont burden cincinatti with further problems by coming there that comment wasnt needed
There are jobs in Cincinnati, and likely more than in Charleston. Overall, compared to other metros, Cincinnati is doing alright. I am a carpenter who runs two non-carpentry related businesses. Even for me, who seldom needs to seek employment, when I looked for work I found it.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
but after hearing no jobs i will consider somewhere else
I really don't believe you read to random posts on CD forums that stated "no jobs" and then decided not to move here. That's laughable. Did you check Craigslist? What about other classifieds?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I really don't believe you read to random posts on CD forums that stated "no jobs" and then decided not to move here. That's laughable. Did you check Craigslist? What about other classifieds?

Mr jones i find it laughable at what people are saying in their post to me and i could be wrong they act like im gonna pick up and just move without looking for work and I think its because of my large family but i am a hard worker and have always worked and yes i have looked at craigs list the enquier and career builders and i have seen jobs on those sites but i didnt know how the cost of living and if you can make it is all I was asking. I wasnt asking for a handout or anything just whether it would be worth it to move or stay in wv that is all and what i read in the previous post where i was told to not burden cincinatti and that jobs were scarce I just thought id look at other places also that were afforable to live maybe ive come to the wrong site i dont know i kind of feel attacked for what i post on here maybe i should cancel my account and look at other cities because cincy is not looking very friendly so far to me and maybe im taking peoples post a little bit to heart but just to let you and anyone else know i do have a plan to save money and secure a job before I just picked up my family and move to a new state just because I dont have a degree doesnt mean I dont have a brain I did take some college courses Thanks for you guys input and have a nice day I may still consider cincinatti but im gonna put some other states and cities on my list for now

Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
im gonna put some other states and cities on my list for now
Sounds like a good idea.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM

874 posts, read 1,034,885 times
There are quite a number of warehouses in Hamilton, Fairfield, and environs. There are also quite a number of medical places as well. Fairfield is a place with some affordable houses and a pretty good school district. If there is not a specific reason to move to Cincinnati, the Dayton/Columbus/Cincinnati area has one of the highest concentrations of warehouses in the country and quite a few places with good school districts with moderate housing prices.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
There are quite a number of warehouses in Hamilton, Fairfield, and environs. There are also quite a number of medical places as well. Fairfield is a place with some affordable houses and a pretty good school district. If there is not a specific reason to move to Cincinnati, the Dayton/Columbus/Cincinnati area has one of the highest concentrations of warehouses in the country and quite a few places with good school districts with moderate housing prices.
Thank you for the information with out the snide remarks its appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati