U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,398,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxFam View Post
Oh and we do like Avalon Fields quite a bit - drove through there last weekend. I think there was only one property for sale in there but will definitely keep it on our radar!
I have an acquaintance, Nick who owned half of the property Avalon Trail now sits on. The other half was owned by a lawyer here in town. They each had homes at opposite ends of the property. When the developer made them an offer on the property I think they both rushed to sell. Nick originally just had a gravel drive off Bunnel Rd to the west. Once the street was put in and a few houses built Nick sold his house and bought a large multi-apartment building in Monroe which he considers his retirement income. He was in the trades and is therefore capable of performing a lot of the maintenance on the apartment building himself.

I realize Avalon Trail is a rather small subdivision and therefore limited availability. I am not sure what lot sizes they ended up with but I remember 3/4 acre being discussed. 3/4 acre lots are virtually unheard of in newer subdivisions around here. The exception may be the Heritage Club, providing you have a cool million plus to spring for. But keep an eye on it.

When you first mentioned a nice back yard and a commute to near WPAFB in Mason, I went Avalon Trail. If you cannot find anything there, you may still stick with the north side of Mason. Crooked Tree was the original built out there, and that was prior to the great land grab and huge escalation in prices. As I have commented you can take a couple of country roads a short distance and then up Oh 741 to Oh 63 and over to I-75. I would prefer this anyday compared to the already frustrating peak hour traffic along Tylersville in Butler Co to I-75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Hi there! Any thoughts on Birchwood Farms subdivision? Looks nice online...I am hopeful there will be more listings in the Spring but really afraid we will get an offer quickly here and not be ready to move yet!
Birchwood Farms is definitely a nice subdivision, located south of Mason Rd, east of Butler-Warren, and well north of Tylersville. But it is firmly located into the growing gridlock of traffic on the western side of Mason. Look at an online map and notice the number of intersecting streets and culdesacs and the few number of through streets. This is the makings of traffic. But for the short term you could take Mason Rd to the Liberty Way Interchange with I-75 and hope the proposed large scale shopping center either takes years to develop or never materializes. Since I have lived here there have seen sizable shopping center proposals for about every interchange with I-75 or I-71 and most of them have gone kaput.

If you find a home you truly like in a development like Birchwood Farms, buy it. But don't rush to buy because you feel pressured. If your existing property in Columbus happens to sell quickly do not panic. You can rent to get by. I can fully attest I know people with homes on the market around here for over two years. It is not a sellers market. The low number of homes on the market may be a testament to the fact people realize the day of turning over a home on a short interval has passed.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,468,118 times
What about this house in Crooked Tree? It's got an exceptional back yard.....and from the pictures, it might be the nicest wooded lot that I've seen in Mason (and I've checked Mason real estate daily for the past 9 months). It's a little over your price range.....but through negotiating and a little extra mortgage balance, the extra monthly mortgage payment would be less than $50.

http://www.sibcy.com/viewlisting.asp...Mason-OH-45040

My current house is under contract in the Mason area...and has been since 10/31...took a whole 4 days to get under contract, but we priced it well, and it's very up-to-date.....we're building in Mason with a close date of 12/13. We listed it well before when we wanted to move out......but we wanted it on the MLS because we didn't know how long it would take to sell. But our realtor said you shouldn't list a house unless you're willing to close within 30 days. To solve this disconnect....we spelled out in the MLS that our house won't be available until a certain date. You might want to consider the same thing in UA.

I assure you there will be a multitude of additional listings hit the market in April/May....so you should wait if you can; however, you might want to take a close look at the above listing. I look at the MLS every day during lunch.......and that's a very nice house for the money. It's got a clean, well put together look about it. Attractive brick front; it appears like the owners have paid professional landscapers to mow which tells me they have some money and take care of their things, granite counter-tops, neat open-entrance into the basement, HUGE windows in the breakfast room overlooking the woods, big windows in the Master Bedroom overlooking the woods, ceiling fans in every bedroom, one perfect girls bedroom ---do you have a girl?, and 9' ceilings on the first floor. The only negatives that I see via the info presented is the basement is unfinished and the kitchen flooring is tile (but I suppose this might be a positive if you have a dog?). I like to think I know more about houses and their values in Mason and surronding areas than most realtors.

It sounds like you've already driven around.....but coming from Columbus, I'd get off at Kings-Mills and head West to 741 and head North and turn West on Bethany-----and look at each neighborhood as you go......and then hit all the neighborhoods on Mason Road-----go South on Butler Warren----heading East on Mason-----snake thru until you get to 741 again. A big circle.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 21,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
What about this house in Crooked Tree? It's got an exceptional back yard.....and from the pictures, it might be the nicest wooded lot that I've seen in Mason (and I've checked Mason real estate daily for the past 9 months). It's a little over your price range.....but through negotiating and a little extra mortgage balance, the extra monthly mortgage payment would be less than $50.

http://www.sibcy.com/viewlisting.asp...Mason-OH-45040

My current house is under contract in the Mason area...and has been since 10/31...took a whole 4 days to get under contract, but we priced it well, and it's very up-to-date.....we're building in Mason with a close date of 12/13. We listed it well before when we wanted to move out......but we wanted it on the MLS because we didn't know how long it would take to sell. But our realtor said you shouldn't list a house unless you're willing to close within 30 days. To solve this disconnect....we spelled out in the MLS that our house won't be available until a certain date. You might want to consider the same thing in UA.

I assure you there will be a multitude of additional listings hit the market in April/May....so you should wait if you can; however, you might want to take a close look at the above listing. I look at the MLS every day during lunch.......and that's a very nice house for the money. It's got a clean, well put together look about it. Attractive brick front; it appears like the owners have paid professional landscapers to mow which tells me they have some money and take care of their things, granite counter-tops, neat open-entrance into the basement, HUGE windows in the breakfast room overlooking the woods, big windows in the Master Bedroom overlooking the woods, ceiling fans in every bedroom, one perfect girls bedroom ---do you have a girl?, and 9' ceilings on the first floor. The only negatives that I see via the info presented is the basement is unfinished and the kitchen flooring is tile (but I suppose this might be a positive if you have a dog?). I like to think I know more about houses and their values in Mason and surronding areas than most realtors.

It sounds like you've already driven around.....but coming from Columbus, I'd get off at Kings-Mills and head West to 741 and head North and turn West on Bethany-----and look at each neighborhood as you go......and then hit all the neighborhoods on Mason Road-----go South on Butler Warren----heading East on Mason-----snake thru until you get to 741 again. A big circle.
Wow - how crazy!! We actually went through the Bentwood house last weekend! We were in the Cincy area for Thanksgiving weekend and thought it might be perfect to look at it. It sure has a lot of the things we want the most in our future home!! It is definitely a nice house! The biggest drawback for us was that there are two french doors off the first floor master bedroom that drop off into nothing. It would be quite a drop down since it is built up and over the walkout basement. It would need a deck or something right away (at least for us...although the previous owners obviously got by without it!). The family room was nice but a bit small compared to what we are used to, with a different layout, and we spend a great deal of time together in the family room (large screen TV, sectional, etc.). The unfinished basement could someday become a rec/media room to solve that problem. Unfortunately, it is a bit over our price range and it we could somehow swing it - we wouldn't have the ability to address the above issues for quite some time. Also, strangely, that house is not part of the pool/tennis/playground membership at the other end of Bentwood which is a big bummer with a soon to be 6 year-old. Finally, even with negotiating, it is a lovely, lovely property with unheard of land and I doubt it will last very long at all. There is an open house this weekend and I suspect she will be gone soon. P.S. We have a boy but the yellow/green room would have been my office - I loved it!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Thank you, KJBrill! There was one listing in Birchwood Farms that looked interesting so the information is very helpful!. Traffic is a HUGE consideration since the daily commute will be fairly long for my husband but we really want the Cincy suburb as opposed to Dayton. I will keep my eye on Avalon and it seems like Crooked Tree is still another good option. I'm also looking at one in Lexington Park but not sure that will be the best for the commute. In the end, I guess it is only a matter of 10-15 minutes so the right house and neighborhood will be the primary driver. It just seems to make sense to try to find that in the subdivisions that also offer the best commute route! Thanks a million!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Obviously the total cost if the bottom line. But I would view those french doors into oblivion as an opportunity. A nice private deck upstairs over a concerte patio outside of the walkout basement - ideal. Don't forget your kids will like an unfrinished basement just fine when it comes to putting a ping-pong table and a pool table into it. It is the game they desire, not the surroundings.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,468,118 times
Quote:
Wow - how crazy!! We actually went through the Bentwood house last weekend! We were in the Cincy area for Thanksgiving weekend and thought it might be perfect to look at it. It sure has a lot of the things we want the most in our future home!! It is definitely a nice house! The biggest drawback for us was that there are two french doors off the first floor master bedroom that drop off into nothing. It would be quite a drop down since it is built up and over the walkout basement. It would need a deck or something right away (at least for us...although the previous owners obviously got by without it!). The family room was nice but a bit small compared to what we are used to, with a different layout, and we spend a great deal of time together in the family room (large screen TV, sectional, etc.). The unfinished basement could someday become a rec/media room to solve that problem. Unfortunately, it is a bit over our price range and it we could somehow swing it - we wouldn't have the ability to address the above issues for quite some time. Also, strangely, that house is not part of the pool/tennis/playground membership at the other end of Bentwood which is a big bummer with a soon to be 6 year-old. Finally, even with negotiating, it is a lovely, lovely property with unheard of land and I doubt it will last very long at all. There is an open house this weekend and I suspect she will be gone soon. P.S. We have a boy but the yellow/green room would have been my office - I loved it!!!
Is the yard really 3.7 acres or whatever the MLS says? That's a huge yard....especially by Mason standards......and one I would almost be willing to die for. Keep looking something will pop-up......December's one of the slowest months of the year for real estate.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM

A 3.7 acre yard? Stretch yourself and buy it. That is phenominal. Put a barrier across those french doors which drop off into oblivion. Over the years this property has the potential to be expanded into the ultimate home of your dreams.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Is the yard really 3.7 acres or whatever the MLS says? That's a huge yard....especially by Mason standards......and one I would almost be willing to die for. Keep looking something will pop-up......December's one of the slowest months of the year for real estate.
Yep, it really is 3.6 acres...it's kind of strange and kind of amazing all at the same time. The finished yard right behind the house is a relatively small strip of grass (but the side yards are very large) - and it slopes down into a forest with walking trails. At the bottom, all the way through the woods, is another grassy meadow that seems to be maintained by the neighbors (according to info provided by the realtor). Not sure why that is but we certainly would have no issue with that. So, yes, absolutely correct on the acreage but it would take a lot to clear some out for more useable back yard or a pool or something - but who cares - it can all be done with time and money. It really was amazing.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
A 3.7 acre yard? Stretch yourself and buy it. That is phenominal. Put a barrier across those french doors which drop off into oblivion. Over the years this property has the potential to be expanded into the ultimate home of your dreams.
You guys are really making me rethink this! Since it was a bit out of our price range and there were some things that we would want to do right away, which would be hard if we stretched ourselves to buy it, we kind of ruled it out - assuming it won't last very much long, especially with an open house this Sunday. The kitchen cabinets also need refinishing, the granite counters are awesome, but the cabinets are original and appear to not have had any updates. Again, nothing that couldn't easily be resolved...hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm going to have to talk it over with the hubby again - since you guys are so informed and helpful and obviously think it is a one-of-a-kind find - we better look at it closer! Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati