Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,108 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Mt Washington in 70's, anyone recall the old guy , I believe he was a veteran ,, the kids in the area called him "Sarge" he hung out on the corner of Beechmont and Corbly in front of the ol drug store, maybe "Luherman's" and Harold's Grill,, apologies if I mispelled it.

I think in the late 70's he was likely 65-70 years old then so I know hes long gone.

Any help would be very much appreciated, Id like to find out where he was laid to rest and pay respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
IF YOU KIDS DON'T BEHAVE YOU'LL ALL BE SENT TO YOUR ROOMS WITHOUT ANY SUPPER!!!

Here are two constructive thoughts for the OP:

Start a different thread in the Cincinnati forum with more general subject matter, using a title like "Mt Washington Back in the Day" or "Beechmont Ave During the '70s." Memory dams break when there's a topic introduced with the name of a neighborhood or a major street. Look at how well-visited and long-lived the threads about Eastwood Village and Reading Rd are. It's a safe bet that at least some people who've piled on to the discussion about Bond Hill in days of yore (for example) got to that thread after doing a search for a certain street or elementary-school teacher. If somebody had put up a post entitled "Who Recalls Miss Steinkrausschmidt in 2nd Grade, and Lived on Oberlin Blvd?" it would've been buried after a day or so.

Post to the "People Search" forum.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 71,415 times
I remember Sarge. I don't know what happened to him, since I moved from that area many years ago. But, I do remember him. We moved from Deer Park to Mt. Washington somewhere around 1972 or so. Sarge was there.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,996,614 times
Moderator cut: orphaned
I can recall in the 1970's a handicapped guy with MS in a wheelchair by the name of Peter used to pull a wagon filled with candy for sale around the Hartford Civic Center Coliseum prior to Whaler's Hockey Games and the occasional Boston Celtic basketball games. If I can recall something that insignificant from when I was a kid then surely some of these people will recall a guy named "Sarge" from Mt. Washington.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2012 at 03:38 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 AM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle88 View Post
Grew up in Mt Washington in 70's, anyone recall the old guy , I believe he was a veteran ,, the kids in the area called him "Sarge" he hung out on the corner of Beechmont and Corbly in front of the ol drug store, maybe "Luherman's" and Harold's Grill,, apologies if I mispelled it.

I think in the late 70's he was likely 65-70 years old then so I know hes long gone.

Any help would be very much appreciated, Id like to find out where he was laid to rest and pay respects.

As I remember it, the man was a slightly challenged older man who was hired by the original pharmacist and owner when the pharmacy was Alfieri's back in the early seventies. He was a man who people would hire to sweep floors and do menial tasks. In return, they would slip him a few dollars.

He is long gone and was a member of Guardian Angels parish. Maybe one of the older parishioners would be able to give you more information than I can.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,054 times
I saved the article from the Forest Hills Journal after "Sarges" death:

Robert Bowen
For more than 50 years, Robert "Sarge"Bowen was part of the Mt.Washington community, walking Beechmont Ave on a regular basis. The man so many people knew as "Sarge" died Feb. 7 (2000) at the age of 71.
Even though "Sarge" was mentally challenged, that didn't stop him from being an active part of the Mt. Washington community. He was a member of the Guardian Angel Catholic Church, helping parishioners and parish priests usher and serve Sunday masses. He also helped out at weekly church bingo games.
Robert "Sarge" Bowen was the beloved brother of Mary Lou Bowen, Janet (Bill) Driehaus and Virginia Hess. He is also survived by 13 nieces. nephews and great grand nieces.

It goes on to say where the mass was and funeral arrangements. And that he would be buried at Gate of Heaven cemetery.

I remember Sarge always seemed to be "hanging out" at Dairy Mart on Beechmont.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Sarge update

Thank you so much folks for the responses. A little confused tho, it seeemd that in 2000 he should have been much older than 71?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Default American Flag on I-275?

Tryin to find the spot where, back in early '80s, somebody had painted the American Flag on the east or northbound lanes of I275 in Anderson area. What happend to it? Who was behind it? I always thought it was pretty cool....

Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle88 View Post

I remember him, you should be able to find out from the American Legion Hall on Sutton Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati