U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM

25 posts, read 17,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Who cares what Portland is doing. They don't validate or nullify Cincinnati in the least.
I agree. It seems to me that every mid-sized city in America is trying to be the next Portland. Cincinnati needs to be the best Cincinnati it can be as it will never be Portland. Who wants a bunch of homogenized cities anyway? It does help to know what is going on in other cities to see how you measure up in different areas though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 PM

477 posts, read 530,092 times
Quote:
I bet you a dollar to a dime that Portland never had to fight back from the very deep bottom that Cincinnati is working out of. Just some thoughts. But I really am not someone who has to compare Cincinnati to other places to appreciate it's worth. I've lived all over the country and have found Cincinnati to be far above and beyond anything I thought it was. And to think it's getting better by the day is very exciting.
Agreed, and a lot of cynicism I have does come from living in that deep bottom in the early 00s right after the riots. I have high standards for Cincinnati and am blown away at the progress being made. My cynicism in these posts only comes from pushing the city harder to not accept mediocrity which it all too often does and frankly these days people are standing up and demanding more way more often than I've ever seen - the city is hitting home run after home run I want to really see people start to think bigger now because of this) :-).

I'm looking forward to checking out the 21C Hotel, Quan Happa in OTR (which combines several of my favorite ethnic foods all in one resturant!) and going forward all the development finally taking shape by campus (nice to no longer have a large grassy field between McMillian and Calhoun.

What excites me even more is the prospect of actually seeing Walnut Hills come back, if things go the way I hope they are that neighborhood is going to be another hotspot and the entire core neighborhoods of Cincy will be one contiguous revitalized neighborhood which would be increadible as all have amazing architecture and are a real city in every sense of the word. One moment that really hit home to me what's happened was eating Seafood at the anchor while a band was playing at MPMF on a stage directly in front of Washington park. On a lovely evening I was able to have a fantastic meal with great music playing in front of a gorgeous land mark all in one night.

Cincinnati inspired me to love cities (I don't think Dayton which is lacking in its sense of place would have ever done the same for me) and even in its worst shape I really wanted to see it succeed. Seeing its success lately is awesome to say the least any cynicism I have is out of love for its success and taking some things I've learned through my travels and through living up in Chicago and applying them down there to meet its own special unique needs - not copying ideas from bigger cities but allowing good ideas to spread into the city and having those good ideas manifest themselves in a uniquely Cincinnati way.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
Tom...

You are right, improving by the day is the key. Cincinnati lost a ton of population since 1950. Much of that may not come back. However a lot of it may not be all that missed either. The current rejuvenation of the core downtown, especially residential and social establishments is elevating the City's appeal rapidly. And the business climate has remained strong. A vibrant downtown, especially one which draws people to events from the suburbs, is the catalyst for the area. A pleasant and safe environment is the requirement. If people are confident that downtown is a place they can visit, have a good time, feel safe going from their parking place to the venue, they will come. Otherwise they will stay away in droves. At this point Cincinnati downtown is doing very well. Just keep it rolling and Cincinnatians will not have to take a back seat to anywhere in the country.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,830,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Agreed, and a lot of cynicism I have does come from living in that deep bottom in the early 00s right after the riots. I have high standards for Cincinnati and am blown away at the progress being made...
Thankfully, I wasn't here when that happened. I was in LA when the riots jumped off in the 90s though. I understand the effect those sorts of events have on a city and it's citizens.

We are on the same page though.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 PM

The transformation on Calhoun is pretty amazing. There is a true urban canyon effect there now. Unfortunately McMillan still needs a lot of work. I just hope the development has a positive effect on the rest of the neighborhood. I've heard people say that they feel the whole Clifton area has really gone downhill in the past 10-20 years despite all the new developments.

It seems that the leadership in Walnut Hills is very good but redevelopment is moving very slowly. I wish the city could find some creative ways to help things along. Some of the large buildings along the business district are probably pretty expensive to rehab and like Over the Rhine the average person may not be able to do it. I remember there was some complaining on the WHRF page when they tore a historic building down and that there would be an outcry if that had happened in Over the Rhine. The WHRF responded that they did not have a 3cdc and endless money to stabilize buildings that were that far gone.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleRic View Post
The transformation on Calhoun is pretty amazing. There is a true urban canyon effect there now. Unfortunately McMillan still needs a lot of work. I just hope the development has a positive effect on the rest of the neighborhood. I've heard people say that they feel the whole Clifton area has really gone downhill in the past 10-20 years despite all the new developments.
If it's gone down, it's likely from nuisance issues due to landlords not taking care of business when they rent to students. So very many of them are absentee landlords, and could give a crap about the QOL issues their tenants cause. I have a neighbor who had their car set on fire by UC students.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
If it's gone down, it's likely from nuisance issues due to landlords not taking care of business when they rent to students. So very many of them are absentee landlords, and could give a crap about the QOL issues their tenants cause. I have a neighbor who had their car set on fire by UC students.
It seems absentee landlords are a major problem throughout the city and one of the major things holding it back. I'm not sure what can be done about it beyond the city taking a tougher stance on code enforcement. My brother lived in a couple apartments in homes with beautiful architecture that were in poor condition during his time at UC. He and his friends didn't exactly make an effort to keep it clean either.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleRic View Post
It seems absentee landlords are a major problem throughout the city and one of the major things holding it back. I'm not sure what can be done about it beyond the city taking a tougher stance on code enforcement. My brother lived in a couple apartments in homes with beautiful architecture that were in poor condition during his time at UC. He and his friends didn't exactly make an effort to keep it clean either.
CUFNA is working with the police department as we speak. We will see what comes of it.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
CUFNA is working with the police department as we speak. We will see what comes of it.
Let's hope so. CUF could be a great neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 AM

6,297 posts, read 13,187,373 times
Quote:
Who cares what Portland is doing. They don't validate or nullify Cincinnati in the least. I will give you this much, you do seem to have a good dose of the native cynicism that surfaces in your posts from time to time. Cincinnati is making excellent strides, but you keep rebutting with "it's not good enough because somewhere else is better." Sometimes you have to be thankful for what is being done and appreciate the huge strides that have been made. I bet you a dollar to a dime that Portland never had to fight back from the very deep bottom that Cincinnati is working out of. Just some thoughts. But I really am not someone who has to compare Cincinnati to other places to appreciate it's worth. I've lived all over the country and have found Cincinnati to be far above and beyond anything I thought it was. And to think it's getting better by the day is very exciting.
I think that is the right attitude to have. Embrace your town for what it is. It is really turning around in the last 5 years. Portland has great architecture but would kill for some of the built environment of Cincy. While Portland is still my taste, I see Cincy as a big up and comer, and I think it deserves to start getting some of the press soon. Believe it or not, the 21C Museum/Hotel will be a huge boost for your image, especially with the kinds of boutique travelers that Cincy needs to bring in town. I know one of the old bar managers at the 21C Louisville, and can tell you that in almost all the articles about that city's hip scene, the 21C is mentioned (it also got named top hotel in the world a few years back). It gives your city almost the "W" affect that was seen as cities competed to get the Starwood property a decade ago. W lounges/hotels are still among the hippest spots to hang/stay in any major US city. I can tell you that as a Starwood junkie, I have stayed in a W property in almost ever major city in the US, and they are all full of the cool, the young, and the beautiful. You will see that 21C brings that same vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or