U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post

Ohhh....so you are a Lexington fan?.....

....so get off the Cinci forums...cause u sure don't belong....
I'll continue to post here whether I have your permission or not, and whether you think I "belong" or not. It would be great if you could start contain the personal attacks, though, and address the content of my postings instead.

Lexington is a great place to live for people who appreciate what it has to offer. So I suppose in that sense I'm a fan. I chose to return to the Cincinnati area after living most of my adult life away because of some specific personal factors. Probably for that reason I have the opinion that some places are a better fit for specific individuals than others. For example, you seem to find Cincinnati a better fit than NYC where you've posted that you come from.

To the OP: Lexington continues in its historic role as the medical center for most of the eastern part of Kentucky, so in that respect it has a thriving medical community and a larger market than it might appear. The influence of the university is stronger on the whole community than in the larger metro area of Cincinnati, just as a function of population scale. And finally, the economy is stronger which would also probably be a plus for your specific profession.

An unrelated thought: in making a decision it might be helpful to examine the kinds of individuals voters in the Cincinnati area send to Congress. It speaks volumes.

Last edited by Sarah Perry; 12-07-2012 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
^ I must disagree that either Louisville or Lexington bring attributes to the table that Cincinnati doesn't--in fact, so much so, that I'm wondering if these two cities weren't introduced as red herrings to dissuade the OP from discovering what does exist in the Queen City. No, none of these cities are "cosmopolitan" in the ways that either NYC or LA are cosmopolitan, but amongst the three, Cincinnati stands out as the largest, most secular and urbane. Although Lexington is a sizable town, its MSA population is no larger than Cincinnati's combined NKY suburbs-- and comparing Louisville to Cincinnati is akin to comparing Philadelphia to New York City.

BTW, since Kentucky cities have now popped up twice in this conversation, I see no reason not to mention two other notable attractions within that state--first, the "Creation Museum" in Petersburg, Ky. and second, the forthcoming "Ark Encounter" in Grant County, Ky. While the majority of Cincinnatians have completely dissociated themselves from either one of these incredible tourist traps, the state of Kentucky boosts them w/o reservation. (Just read how the Atlantic Monthly, in its Dec/2012 issue, lampooned them both in "A Boat of Biblical Proportions.")

Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ I must disagree that either Louisville or Lexington bring attributes to the table that Cincinnati doesn't--in fact, so much so, that I'm wondering if these two cities weren't introduced as red herrings to dissuade the OP from discovering what does exist in the Queen City. No, none of these cities are "cosmopolitan" in the ways that either NYC or LA are cosmopolitan, but amongst the three, Cincinnati stands out as the largest, most secular and urbane. Although Lexington is a sizable town, its MSA population is no larger than Cincinnati's combined NKY suburbs-- and comparing Louisville to Cincinnati is akin to comparing Philadelphia to New York City.

BTW, since Kentucky cities have now popped up twice in this conversation, I see no reason not to mention two other notable attractions within that state--first, the "Creation Museum" in Petersburg, Ky. and second, the forthcoming "Ark Encounter" in Grant County, Ky. While the majority of Cincinnatians have completely dissociated themselves from either one of these incredible tourist traps, the state of Kentucky boosts them w/o reservation. (Just read how the Atlantic Monthly, in its Dec/2012 issue, lampooned them both in "A Boat of Biblical Proportions.")
I think your points are well taken. One of the things I was very happy to trade when I moved back was the Southern style religious evangelism that indeed does abound in Kentucky for the somewhat less "in your face" conservative German-based Roman Catholicism that still prevails around Cincinnati. And certainly just in terms of diversity neither of the Kentucky cities can approach what Cincinnati has to offer. But in terms of a congenial place to settle, size and diversity may not turn out to be the paramount attributes for people like the OP.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
Lexington always was "different"...actually it's is pretty neat....and getting better. They are commtted to urban regeneration and infill and urban life.

In some ways Lexington reminds me of a US version of a provincial German city, like, say, Erlangen or Wurzburg or a place like that. Relatively small in population, yet urbane.

Quote:
I used to spend quite a bit of time in Louisville. Speaking in very general terms I also suspect it might be a better fit than Cincinnati.
I don't want to get into a Louisville vs Cincy pissing contest here, and am only marginally qualified to comment, but I do spend quite a bit of time in Louisville, and have family there, and the place does seem, porportionally, to be more bohemian and culturally "left" (not necessarily "politically" left), and is apprarently gettting a rep or buzz via some sort of grapevine since it's seeing an in-migration of young adults. (21-40 age range). I've met a few of these folks during my explorations...they like the alternative/indi vibe...so it's not just me looking through rose-colored glasses.

@@@

Quote:
Yes, if you choose carefully you can find a small community of people for whom your interest in polyamory, for example, won't seem outrageous. This is a big metro area, and as such, all kinds of people are represented here.
...yes. This is key. Cincy is large enough to accomodate.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
Quote:
-- and comparing Louisville to Cincinnati is akin to comparing Philadelphia to New York City.
Good comparison....tho I'd use Boston.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM

307 posts, read 440,754 times
And while Lexington may be the medical hub of eastern ky, don't forget to remember its eastern ky. I have numerous friends who are psychologists and have heard countless stories of the belief that psychology is not real, stupid, etc, most often from Appalachian populaces. Suffice it to say I think the general populations will be less open to non traditional medicines the further south you go, not that every place doesn't have it's pockets, and that I think you could find you're niche in any of these cities.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
And while Lexington may be the medical hub of eastern ky, don't forget to remember its eastern ky. I have numerous friends who are psychologists and have heard countless stories of the belief that psychology is not real, stupid, etc, most often from Appalachian populaces. Suffice it to say I think the general populations will be less open to non traditional medicines the further south you go, not that every place doesn't have it's pockets, and that I think you could find you're niche in any of these cities.
Sure. Ignorant people abound just about everywhere. Although to clarify for the OP, Lexington itself is not in eastern Kentucky or Appalachia by anyone's definition that I'm aware of. I traveled around Kentucky extensively for work for years, and personally agree with the notion that the western border of eastern Kentucky is somewhere around Mt. Sterling.

My husband, who grew up in a rural part of northern Indiana, went to undergrad at IU, and has since also lived in Lexington and Cincinnati, characterizes Lexington as being a lot more "genteel" than Cincinnati. Just one additional opinion, albeit another broad generalization.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ I must disagree that either Louisville or Lexington bring attributes to the table that Cincinnati doesn't--in fact, so much so, that I'm wondering if these two cities weren't introduced as red herrings to dissuade the OP from discovering what does exist in the Queen City.
Great post, Motorman. Leave it to certain Cincy CD forumers to recommend cities in Kentucky, that may be nice in their own right, but are not in the same league as Cincinnati. That's what happens when people don't really know what is actually in Cincinnati anymore relative to the OP's initial inquiries. They don't know because they never come around here. The neighborhoods I recommended are all neighborhoods I either live, or frequent. And I know damn good and well Cincinnati has exactly what the OP is looking for.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post

My husband, who grew up in a rural part of northern Indiana, went to undergrad at IU, and has since also lived in Lexington and Cincinnati, characterizes Lexington as being a lot more "genteel" than Cincinnati. Just one additional opinion, albeit another broad generalization.
Certainly, Lexington and its high-society, horse farm culture are "genteel," but then what might be concluded about Cincinnati's own high-society that permeates not only Indian Hill, but also Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, and East Walnut Hills? Many of these superbly educated residents have familiarized themselves with Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism not only through collegiate course work, but through actual travel to the Far East--and, for the most part, they neither flaunt such knowledge nor share it with strangers. (just my observation)

Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
If the OP is still reading, I was in a similar situation ~5 years ago, and I'm making it work in Springfield OH (coming from Oakland). It all depends whether or not you & your partner feel the need to be surrounded by those of a similar disposition, or can make it work anywhere you go. I've learned over here, you need to seek things out which are more readily available to you where you are now. But they are there....if nothing else, a weekly shopping trip to Jungle Jim's and occasional trip to Yellow Springs or even Bloomington can give you the fix you need. Ohio is also a great distribution point for craft beer...we get the best of the West, Great Lakes and East Coast breweries, plus some decent local brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or