U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times

Advertisements

Ok, went out to Blue Ash Chili last Thursday. I gotta say, and the Mrs. agrees, that it's hands down the best chili around. And not to mention we both had six ways. Those jalapeño fried poppers added another dimension. It was awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ok, went out to Blue Ash Chili last Thursday. I gotta say, and the Mrs. agrees, that it's hands down the best chili around. And not to mention we both had six ways. Those jalapeño fried poppers added another dimension. It was awesome!
Glad you had a good experience. But I have to ask, did you have a double decker? Especially the Ham&Beef. This sandwich will satisfy you for more than one meal. A week ago I went to the Blue Ash near us and purchased two Ham&Beef doubledeckers. The wife and I had half of a sandwich for dinner. We had the second half the next day for lunch.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Tom...

Years ago there was another Greek run chili parlor in Silverton called the Marathon Inn. It was in downtown Silverton on Montgomery Rd about half-way between the bank and Section Rd. The one family member who worked the front counter had a bad leg and walked with a decisive limp. But he always had a jovial personality and if you were in a bad mood he would perk you up. It was definitely family run and seemed to be open forever.

The Marathon Inn was my family's favorite for probably 30 years. For some reason the Greek run parlors of that time not only had the various varieties of Cincinnati Chili, which they perfected, but also a large selection of humongous double-deckers. It always was strange to me as the chili and sandwiches did not seem to be a natural fit. But when I was young I could scarf down a 5-way and a double-decker at one sitting. I didn't consider it strange, both were good.

I am not sure how many of the independent Cincinnati Chili parlors had both chili and double-deckers or still do. I suspect several since they all seemed to copy from each other. How else would they come up with a cheese coney?

I am glad you had a pleasant experience at Blue Ash. I know the other parlors around town are good in their own right, but at my age with a Blue Ash the closest to me why spend more time and energy?

Question... I assume you went to the location in Blue Ash. Is it still the same broken down decor it has been for eons? The other strange thing is it is obviously a chili parlor on one side but more of a grill/bar on the other. Did you find that weird? The Mason store is in a strip center and it will take many years for it to have a character, if ever, like the Blue Ash store.

Last edited by kjbrill; 12-12-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Tom... If your wife has come across an old-time recipe for Cincinnati Chili and you believe it cuts the mustard, tell her to post it. Certainly the old Greek recipes had to be modified to fit the times, the costs, etc. I am more than willing to try and old recipe to make a Cincinnati tradition.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,432 times
We went to Blue Ash about a year ago at this time (always went to the Mason location before that) and it was a really dated, cramped, weird layout. So the answer to your question is probably that it hasn't changed. Great food like the northern "campus", though. Yeah, it was strangely laid out.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
We went to Blue Ash about a year ago at this time (always went to the Mason location before that) and it was a really dated, cramped, weird layout. So the answer to your question is probably that it hasn't changed. Great food like the northern "campus", though. Yeah, it was strangely laid out.
That is part of the character. Years ago when downtown Blue Ash was literally torn down and rebuilt the city wanted the original owner to replace his building with one using the same architectural motif. He refused and said if forced to he would simply close and move to Montgomery. They wisely left him alone.

Years ago when I worked on Bramble Ave. in Madisonville, we occasionally would get a hankering for double-deckers for lunch. We had about 30 people working at that location and most of them were fans of Blue Ash Chili. We would phone an order in and nominate someone to drive to Blue Ash and pick it up. 30 of those double-deckers is several sacks of food. After chowing those down we were ready for a siesta.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM

246 posts, read 882,343 times
I think this discussion will influence where I have lunch today! :-)

Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
I think this discussion will influence where I have lunch today! :-)
I lived in Deer Park as a youngster and had grand-parents there. If you locate Blue Ash Chili on Kenwood Rd, a warning. Their brand of Cincinnati Chili is quite good and you will probably get it all down. Their double-deckers are humongous, especially the ham&beef. When younger I could devour one. If you go there and decide to try their chili, which is recommended, just take a look around at the ham&beef double-deckers being served. Buy one, take it home, and there is supper.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM

307 posts, read 441,032 times
This thread made me almost hit up blue ash chili yesterday. Wasn't feeling hungry enough to do a double decker justice. As for the attempted bar i can't say I've seen ever seen anyone drinking wine or beer, even thigh they offer it, but I've also only been at lunch. Not sure what kind of dinner crowd they get.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
This thread made me almost hit up blue ash chili yesterday. Wasn't feeling hungry enough to do a double decker justice. As for the attempted bar i can't say I've seen ever seen anyone drinking wine or beer, even thigh they offer it, but I've also only been at lunch. Not sure what kind of dinner crowd they get.
Definitely the crowd has changed over the years. They do quite a good carryout business. When I buy double-deckers I bring them home. Our Quatman Cafe here in Mason makes a very good reuben, one of my all time favorite sandwiches. I discovered the reuben at Izzy Kadetz's in Cincinnati across from the Shillito Dept. store. That is probably about 60 years ago now. Obviously things change over the years. But when I hear about Camp Washington Chili, Blue Ash, and others still grinding our their product, it makes me glad I live in Cincinnati. And to hear a new Empress has opened in Hartwell, music to my ears. Hopefully they will honor the time-tested tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati