U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM

43 posts, read 54,864 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting again. Our rent has finally gotten to the point where it is no longer cheaper to rent than to buy. Although we are still looking in NKY off of I-471, we are also considering living nearer downtown. It's closer to work, and we enjoy our time in the area when we are there. I see a few listings pop up in the West End, particularly around Cutter at W. Court. Anyone live there, or familiar with the area? Any pros and cons you wish to share would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times
Really, the West End is still pretty much busted. If you can buy on the cheap over near Dayton Street and hang on a while (several years) you should come out O.K. It all depend on your stomach for urban pioneering.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,733,381 times
there is plenty of safe and clean new housing in the west end or maybe at the western part of downtown but not technically in the west end. it is all townhomes and they are in the 150-220k range. the tradeoff is that despite living near downtown, almost nothing is within walking distance. this housing doesn't have the buzz that the OTR stuff has but it is perfectly decent and a very affordable choice.

you could do the city west thing and get a brand new place with a tax abatement and be paying well under $1k a month. visit the neighborhood ala goygoy's saturday night and sunday morning thing. also, at city west you'll be living around loafers and poor people but crime in the area is actually not too bad. still, it is important to recognize that it is urban living.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 PM

43 posts, read 54,864 times
Thanks, guys. I plan to go to the community council meeting on Tuesday and get a sense of the area from the POV of the area residents.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
progmac...

It is important to recognize it is urban living.

This is something I just do not understand. Why should there be any fundamental difference between urban and suburban living? Does urban living somehow say you have to be satisfied with less? That makes no sense to me. We all have the same aspirations in life, success at our jobs, good schools for our kids, an easy and crime free life at home.

I see no inherent reason why there should be any substantial difference in an urban or suburban existence. There are some differences, suburbanites are often attracted to outdoor activities around their home, yards, flower beds, gardens, etc. Urbanites are more attracted to walkable neighborhoods, don't have to get in a car, etc. style of living.

From my POV, the urbanites have done a less successful job at making their views known and maintaining control of their neighborhood. Just my opinion, but that is the way I see it. Urbanites, instead of complaining how suburbanites are always dishing on the City, which I think you invent, seize control of your environment and demand the City government provide for your needs. Cincinnati has come a long way in that direction, just make sure it continues.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
progmac...

It is important to recognize it is urban living.

This is something I just do not understand. Why should there be any fundamental difference between urban and suburban living? Does urban living somehow say you have to be satisfied with less? That makes no sense to me. We all have the same aspirations in life, success at our jobs, good schools for our kids, an easy and crime free life at home.

I see no inherent reason why there should be any substantial difference in an urban or suburban existence. There are some differences, suburbanites are often attracted to outdoor activities around their home, yards, flower beds, gardens, etc. Urbanites are more attracted to walkable neighborhoods, don't have to get in a car, etc. style of living.

From my POV, the urbanites have done a less successful job at making their views known and maintaining control of their neighborhood. Just my opinion, but that is the way I see it. Urbanites, instead of complaining how suburbanites are always dishing on the City, which I think you invent, seize control of your environment and demand the City government provide for your needs. Cincinnati has come a long way in that direction, just make sure it continues.
KJ, I don't know. Citizens in urban neighborhoods are very, very involved. Certainly no less so than their suburban counterparts. In my view, the inherent difference is that anyone can live in an urban area, but not anyone can live in a suburban area. Suburban areas also tend to be stratified based on where people are at in their lives.

Personally, I have no problem with the suburbs. I doubt you were referring to me personally when you said,
Quote:
complaining how suburbanites are always dishing on the City, which I think you invent,
because I totally agree with that

Really the reason i said what is bolded above is because I'm pretty positive about City West, but I don't want to give the impression that it is going to be like living at the aesthetically similar "Village at the streets of West Chester" (which, incidentally, the OP may want to check out)

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM

5,656 posts, read 8,763,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
KJ, I don't know. Citizens in urban neighborhoods are very, very involved. Certainly no less so than their suburban counterparts. In my view, the inherent difference is that anyone can live in an urban area, but not anyone can live in a suburban area. Suburban areas also tend to be stratified based on where people are at in their lives.

Personally, I have no problem with the suburbs. I doubt you were referring to me personally when you said, because I totally agree with that

Really the reason i said what is bolded above is because I'm pretty positive about City West, but I don't want to give the impression that it is going to be like living at the aesthetically similar "Village at the streets of West Chester" (which, incidentally, the OP may want to check out)
I think this is also true about some suburban communities as well. I just bought a house in Covington and I have to do a little work to the yard and interior before I can move. Even so, I have already found a neighbor to be very helpful and is watching my home for me until I move in. And a local hardware store gave me a 10% discount on a purchase of a couple of products for no apparent reason other than to say "welcome to town and we are happy that you are here". A nice start in my opinion and the very reason why I am getting out of the Kansas City region. I never found this kind of hospitality here because the people are incredibly self absorbed. Clearly that is not the case with the Cincinnati area and I am looking forward to the day when I can not only move into the house but find a job and get settled into northern KY.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Just a question for those more in the know relative to living in Cincinnati. Do you feel the various areas of the city are adequately represented by the politicians? Is there enough direct accountability so individual neighborhoods can determine whether they are being represented? Would a return to the ward system be better for the individual neighborhoods? Get out there and represent us or we will kick you can out and elect someone else. It seems to me the current at large system allows too much hiding back in the shadows and just not stubbing your toe. The various neighborhood councils may have tons of participation, but what is their political clout? Without clout it is just waving your arms in the wind.

I read an article over the weekend stating the downtown core had gained 62% population over several years, and was now at around 13,500. That means the 62% gain would have started at around 8,400 and the gain itself would be 5,100. While any gain is very commendable, it is hardly astounding yet. I had no idea downtown Cincinnati's population had fallen as low as 8,400. Keep the apartments and condos coming as Cincinnati still needs a major revival.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM

I agree, a ward system is a good idea.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:26 PM

307 posts, read 441,338 times
Instead of fighting about this topic here lets all go watch the second season of the wire to see this topic and all its complexities discussed.

One of the best quotes of the season "You know what the trouble is, Brucey? We used to make s@&$ in this country, build s&@$. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati