U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times

Advertisements

This time of year, we like to make a lot of different cookies and baked treats for Christmas.
Our all time favorites are:
. Buckeyes - even people not from Ohio like these.
. Rum Balls - not really a baked product as you mix them up cold, roll them in confectionary sugar, and let them marinate in the refrigerator.
. Wedding Cookies - Heaven on earth, we always put finely crushed pecans in ours.
And whatrever other baked goods are part of your heritage. Because it is so much work, my wife usually only attacks a Christmas Stollen around every other year, because you cannot just make one. A fresh made stollen and Cincinnati Goetta on Christmas morning - nothing better.

My wife loves to make various cookies and other baked treats to distribute among the people she knows around town. She is out this afternoon visiting our Mason Community Center and taking containers of treats for the lifeguards and others at the aquatic center she frequents.

Relate what special Christmas or Haukkah treats your family perpares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
with you on the buckeyes -- or chocolate covered peanut butter balls as they call them up north. my wife's are, of course, my favorite.

otherwise, and much to my chagrin, my family is very irreverent toward culinary traditions. one year is was lasagna. have some respect, people!

we usually go to UDF on christmas eve, get some ice cream, drive around and look at lights, and go home to a warm fire.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
with you on the buckeyes -- or chocolate covered peanut butter balls as they call them up north. my wife's are, of course, my favorite.

otherwise, and much to my chagrin, my family is very irreverent toward culinary traditions. one year is was lasagna. have some respect, people!

we usually go to UDF on christmas eve, get some ice cream, drive around and look at lights, and go home to a warm fire.
I hope when you go to UDF they still have the Peppermint Stick ice cream, my all time Christmas favorite. The only one we like better is when they bring out the fresh peach earlier in the year. It seems to last about two weeks, I know we have several cartons of Peppermint downstairs in the freezer. We go out early each year and stock up before they sell the batch out. Just another one of those products we consider Cincinnati.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times
I have a problem with cookies in that I can go through a couple dozen just "testing" to reassure myself they're okay for gifting. Or just passing through the kitchen during the day. So now I bake Italian cream cupcakes instead. Just like the fabled, rich cake, only cupcake size. I think the recipients have gotten to really look forward to them.

A friend was asking about where to buy pfeiffernusse, which I'm too lazy to look up how to spell. Anyone know? I think she was going to try North College Hill Bakery.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Sarah... You came pretty damn close, it is pfeffernusse. This is one I probably have had over my lifetime, just didn't know what it was called. Looking at the images on the web I am sure various members of my family made them. Far as a commercial bakery, I would have to try the west side, such as College Hill.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM

I remember when my grandmother came to visit us near Christmas. It was baking time for rolls. We got out every container in the house which could be used to bake, no matter what its original intent was. Pie pans, cake pans, casserole dishes, regular vegetable or roast pans, you name it, if it could bake we used it.

I do remember her dough had potato flour in it, plus I believe some other flours but I am not sure what kind. There of course must have also been yeast. She would mix up the dough and then set it aside in crocks with cheese cloth over the top. The next morning the baking commenced.

We called them twist rolls. She would take a ball of dough, roll it through her fingers, and then twist the result into a roll. Some of them she would add a few raisins to the dough before twisting, some she would springle some cinnamon onto the dough, but most of them were plain. While baking, she would make a simple syrup icing, nothing other than sugar in water. The thing I can't explain is how absolutely delicious they were. There must have been something she did in the preparation of the dough. Unfortunately us dumb-nuts did not record that before she passed.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I hope when you go to UDF they still have the Peppermint Stick ice cream, my all time Christmas favorite. The only one we like better is when they bring out the fresh peach earlier in the year. It seems to last about two weeks, I know we have several cartons of Peppermint downstairs in the freezer. We go out early each year and stock up before they sell the batch out. Just another one of those products we consider Cincinnati.
Yes, peppermint stick is exactly what we get. That stuff is a delight.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 AM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
I need to learn to make a nut roll like my Polish grandmother made. Someone in the family must have her recipe!

The other baking tradition we have is Italian meatball cookies, or totos. They're rolled to look like meatballs, and are a cocoa cookie with cloves and raisins in them.

Mom still makes steamed date nut bread, in Campbell's soup cans.

One of these days I'm going to try a fruitcake.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

One of these days I'm going to try a fruitcake.
People viliy fruitcake, and I don't know why. I frankly like a good fruit cake, what is there not to like?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,206,509 times
We don't have any real traditions - my family was small, and my husband's family didn't pass any specific recipes on to us.

From my family - there's a Banana Nut Bread recipe - obviously not exactly Christmas-y, but I have more time this time of year to back because I'm not outside fighting the battle against weeds.

And my mother's pound cake recipe (which was her mother's).

And, I've become pretty good at cheesecakes. My twist now is to make the cheesecake in a cupcake wrapper. Helps with portion control and also the cheesecake sets faster.

I'm not really much a cookie eater, but all the ones you're describing sound lovely. Maybe someyear I'll attempt cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati