Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,748,131 times

Advertisements

Oh yes city chicken. It has become more difficult to find. And creamed chipped beef, I like to throw some sweet peas in mine so when dished up on the toast you get a little veggie content.

And I sure hope Worthmore hangs around. That mock turtle is another of my favorites.

Back when I was a kid in school and that is a long time ago, the government made certain foods available to school cafeterias at virtually no cost. I know they got blocks of American cheese which they made grilled cheese sandwiches out of. Mmmm grilled chese and tomato soup still one of my favorite lunches. They also got dried apricots, peaches and sometimes pears in actual barrels. They would reconstitute some of them and prepare a trey sheet type of cobbler for desert. I always tried to get on the good side of the cafeteria workers. They would let me come to the side door after lunch and stuff my pockets full of the dried fruit. I would sit in class during the afternoon silently munching on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 PM

16,373 posts, read 30,158,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGl View Post
I had to look up "city chicken" to figure out what it was. I remember having it as a child but, unfortunately, it seems like what I remember used relatively poor meat and had a funny taste. .

For those that have not "looked it up", city chicken generally was pork cubes, seasoned, coated with bread crumbs and pan fried in oil.

It was one of those dishes created from a wide variety of less tender meats. I guess that it kid of sounds silly as pork is now more expensive than chicken.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,535,653 times
Quote:
I had to look up "city chicken" to figure out what it was. I remember having it as a child but, unfortunately, it seems like what I remember used relatively poor meat and had a funny taste.
Ah, but see, that's a misconception. It's actually good, lean cuts of pork, and it cooks up tender and juicy. it's kind of like eating pork loin chops on a stick.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Ah, but see, that's a misconception. It's actually good, lean cuts of pork, and it cooks up tender and juicy. it's kind of like eating pork loin chops on a stick.
Definitely, and if done right quite enjoyable. And I don't know where another polster is buying his chicken, but I frequently can buy a whole boneless pork loin at a price per lb less than chicken. City chicken was definitely concocted back when actual chicken was an expensiive item. Mass production outfits have lowered the relative cost of chicken. But that is true of virtually all meat we purchase today. The big outfits divert the lesser cuts off to the sausage maker, etc. and we never see them in the market.

But believe me, if you buy a boneless pork loin, divide it, and prepare some cubes for putting on skewers, seasoning, and pan frying when it is just too nasty to grill outside, you will become a convert.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Since we have introduced a number of additional food items which are not necessarity exclusive to Cincinnati. I would like to address a few more.

How many of you like chicken livers? I go to the store, look at the price of boneless chicken breasts and then the price of chicken livers. No comparison, chicken livers are rock bottom. I love chicken livers, especially when I fry them and then prepare a side of white sauce gravy. If I am being overly aggressive I will wrap the chicken livers in bacon. Now that is pure indulgence. I am not proud, I am old and have no problem getting a package of Pillsbury Grand biscuits and dropping them into the oven. Yes I know the prevaling opinion is avoid any organ meat. Pretty soon we will be prohibited from eating anything.

My next dissertation will involve calve's liver and onions. I have had very few filets of beef which ever outdid the calve's liver and onions.

More discussion please.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM

219 posts, read 333,235 times
I enjoy chicken livers. I haven't had them in awhile. One of my sisters used to make a tasty appetizer, Rumaki, with them. Chicken livers, water chestnuts, and bacon. Very good.

Calves liver and onions, oh my. When done correctly, absolute heaven. Your mention of few beefs filets outdoing that delight brought back old memories of the Pine Club. I know we've discussed that Dayton institution in the past. On occasion, year ago, I'd be in the mood for calves liver when I'd stop in at the Pine Club. It was always hard to out-do their steaks but their calves liver came close. I think too many folks don't enjoy liver and onions just because they've had bad liver too begin with, which was just way overcooked. Then, of course, you have a number of folks who just can't stomach the thought of eating any kind of organ meats.

My father used to love hunting for wild morel mushroom. He'd fry them up, maybe with some nice calf brains. Another exquisite meal.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,535,653 times
Chicken livers are still on the menu at Sky Galley over at Lunken Airport, although I hate chicken livers. My cat won't even eat them when we get a whole chicken at home.

When I was growing up, it was still popular to see "jack salmon" on menus of local restaurants. My favorite version was Century Inn. Jack salmon was not salmon, but rather walleye or perch. The term "jack salmon" seems to all but disappeared around here. I really miss it. I remember one time at a restaurant when a woman at the table next to us ordered jack salmon and when she saw that it wasn't salmon in the conventional sense, she blew her top at the waiter. She obviously wasn't local, because she had a thick east coast accent, and proceeded to tell the waiter in her Yankee brogue what an idiot he was and what the restaurant was.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,963,928 times
Last time I was at Sky Galley they had a braunschweiger sandwich on the menu. And I think Lake Nina may still use the jack salmon term, although they call the slab of fish a fish log.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My father used to love hunting for wild morel mushroom. He'd fry them up, maybe with some nice calf brains. Another exquisite meal.
I remember a deli downtown which had what they called pickled tongue. It certainly looked like a beef tongue to me. The name was rather revolting but it made a rather good sandwich.

My project this afternoon is to find a spiral sliced ham for Christmas. We are expecting quite a few people to drop in and visit but not actually sit down for a meal. Looking at the grocery ads I am trying to distinguish between $1.69/lb and over $8/lb. I know they cannot be equal, but how to measure the difference?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I enjoy chicken livers. I haven't had them in awhile. One of my sisters used to make a tasty appetizer, Rumaki, with them. Chicken livers, water chestnuts, and bacon. Very good.
I looked up the Rumaki on the net, found several recipies and procedures. What I found surprising was the chicken livers and water chestnuts are marinated prior to wrapping with the bacon and skewering prior to frying. Sounds absolutely delicious as I love all of the ingredients. I was very tempted to scurry up to the store, purchase the ingredients, and add them to our Christmas offerings. But then I realized both the refrigerator and the freezer are already overflowing.

It is definitely on my list to make after New Years, maybe actually on New Years. But an appetizer, no, it will be my main or only course. We traditionally take our indoor Christmas decorations down on New Years Day. So if I start early and have the marinate going, we can fry the Rumaki in batches and treat them as finger food while putting away the decorations. Sounds like a plan to me - what do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati