U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 AM

307 posts, read 440,754 times

Advertisements

No worries about the grippos, as it seems that it's really become more iconic in the past five to ten years. I'm not sure why this happened but all the places that serve grippo fries or grippos on burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese etc are all under 5 years old. At least the ones that I can think of. Like all things it's an acquired taste, I'll likely never go to Montgomery inn voluntarily but that's just me and I'm sure there are people that feel the same way about skyline, graeters, etc. you can't please all the people all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 AM

31,159 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Mmmmmmm ... Grippo barbecue potato chips. You guys are making me hungry.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
No worries about the grippos, as it seems that it's really become more iconic in the past five to ten years. I'm not sure why this happened but all the places that serve grippo fries or grippos on burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese etc are all under 5 years old. At least the ones that I can think of. Like all things it's an acquired taste, I'll likely never go to Montgomery inn voluntarily but that's just me and I'm sure there are people that feel the same way about skyline, graeters, etc. you can't please all the people all the time.
That is definitely true, you cannot please all the people all the time. I like Montgomery Inn simply because I was there during their beginning. Ted Gregory had some prior business reversals and was restarting. He acquired a small neighborhood corner bar in Montgomery, I remember the long wooden old-fashioned bar along one wall. Ohio liquor laws required you offer food in a bar. The bar was not really set up well to offer food. So Ted's wife Matilda prepared these ribs at home and brought them to the bar. She also made her own version of barbeque sauce. This was the 1950s and she prepared the ribs in a pressure cooker, a very common appliance of the time. I was dating my wife at the time and would go to her house off of Blome Rd in Indian Hill just south of Montgomery. After spending part of a Saturday helping my future father-in-law cut his 4-1/2 acres of grass, we would go up to Montgomery for a couple of brewskies. We noticed these people coming in and ordering ribs for carryout. Ted was no dummy as history will attest. He rapidly ripped out the back portion of the bar, installed a grill to add some appeal to the pressure cooked ribs, and installed pressure cookers so Matilda did not have to cart them from home.

I do read those who degrade Montgomery Inn, from the barbecue sauce to whatever, too sweet, too whatever. They are still my favorite ribs, as I have had such poor ribs served to me all around the country, fatty and gristly, no matter how good the sauce it cannot make up for the poor quality of the meat. Montgomery Inn to me is a definite Cincinnati Icon. Apparently others think also, since their products are sold in markets all over the area.

While I am on this kick, I will also throw LaRosa's in there. Same complaints, pizza sauce too sweet, crust too thick, and various other complaints. They have also survived how many years in this area?

When you talk about Cincinnati entrepreneurs, very few rise above Ted Geogory or Buddy LaRosa. Especially when you factor in what they have done to promote the City.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM

289 posts, read 1,317,332 times
Default Cool pop

Tom Collins Jr. - a lemon soda that disappeared from the shelves in the early 80's. Held its own against Seven Up and Sprite for many years. Originally bottled by a Cincinnati company, but Barq's eventually picked up distribution.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,655 times
Pretty soon, you may be able to list anything from Kahn's among the lost Cincinnati delicacies. We never bought anything but Kahn's American Beauty Bacon, and their deli meats were something many family members insisted on...pickle loaf, Dutch loaf, Braunschweiger, all that jazz. Kahn's hot dogs are fortunately still available, and so are the Big Red Smokies (remember the old Riverfront Stadium scoreboard ad with the coach and the ump arguing over whether it was a hot dog or a sausage???? MMMMMmmmm!). While they really weren't very good, I did kind of like those old Kahn's Bavarian-style brats. They weren't very Bavarian, and they didn't have much flavor, but I kind of liked them...and they were the only bratwurst you could get at Reds games up through the early '90s. I don't think these are even available anymore. Curse Sara Lee Corporation for what they did to Kahn's!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM

31,159 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Kahn's all-beef weiners were the filet of hot dogs back in the day.

The Kahn family has supported the ballet since time began. Of course me being the philistine that I am , as I was going over the donor list at the office one day, I came upon the Kahn name and exclaimed "Kahn as in hot dogs??!?"

Hot dogs ... ballet. They just don't seem to go together. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
(remember the old Riverfront Stadium scoreboard ad with the coach and the ump arguing over whether it was a hot dog or a sausage???? MMMMMmmmm!).
LMAO!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM

181 posts, read 229,602 times
Even though I lived in Cincinnati for a number of years, I'd never tried Montgomery Inn ribs until a few years ago when I was back in the city. I'll have to confess I was disappointed. Living in Texas for all these years has spoiled me with Texas BBQ ribs and brisket, which are slow-smoked. No pressure cooker involved. The Montgomery Inn ribs were just too "mushy" for me. The sauce is OK but I've just gotten used to the usual dry-rub and smoking treatment, with some sauce on the side. But to each his own. Some of the smoked sausage in Texas is just unbelievably fantastic, especially what they call Czech sausage, but I'm sure the salt and fat content is off the charts. It reminds me of some the local Cincinnati sausages from way back. Cincinnati must have been meat heaven back in the Porkopolis days.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Kahn's hot dogs are fortunately still available, and so are the Big Red Smokies (remember the old Riverfront Stadium scoreboard ad with the coach and the ump arguing over whether it was a hot dog or a sausage???? MMMMMmmmm!).
A local T-shirt company made a shirt out of that! I picked one up last year and wear it to Reds games from time to time.

YOURE A HOT DOG funny Cincinnati Reds T-Shirt T-Shirts - Funny, Retro, and Vintage T-Shirts - DonkeyTs.com

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,655 times
I'm not quite old enough to remember this myself, but my grandparents forever decried the demise of Rubel's Heidelberg Rye, another victim of corporate takeovers and disregard for local tastes.

Similarly, I'm worried about the day that Worthmore is no more. Their Mock Turtle Soup is the best, and even my wife, who is not a native Cincinnatian, has come to love. I don't consider myself a geezer yet, but I don't think many people under 40 have a clue what the Worthmore brand is, and that does not bode well for the future. They could soon join Stegner's in our memories of lost brands.

Something else that I introduced my wife to is city chicken. I love to chicken fry it in a skillet, or throw it on the grill with a good rub of one type or another. While not exclusive to Cincinnati, it is a dish deeply rooted here, but I worry too about this going away. Only certain Kroger stores stock it, or you can get it at old-time butcher shops, but again, this staple of our family is one that seems to be fading among younger generations. I also think that this an item that non-natives generally have no clue what to do with when they relocate here. City chicken needs a good PR firm!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM

181 posts, read 229,602 times
I had to look up "city chicken" to figure out what it was. I remember having it as a child but, unfortunately, it seems like what I remember used relatively poor meat and had a funny taste.

I think I'll stick to chicken-fried steak with white gravy, although I don't eat it frequently. Speaking of gravy, I remember a favorite dish of mine as a kid was good 'ol creamed chipped beef. My mother would usually serve it on mashed potatoes and toast. My father, being a veteran, would refer to it as SOS. Great comfort food for a cold day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati