U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

Whether they were hard to keep clean, whatever, I thought the white shirts and hats of the Cincinnati police force definitely lent a significant amount of dignity. Why should Cincinnati care what the rest of the country does?

Dress the entire force in denim and blue jeans, and proclaim them as Texas Rangers. Will that really change anything? NO. Cincinnati had a motif which set up to me a certain degree of respect. Now they are among the amalgamous rest of the nation. Just show me where this has resulted in more effective police enforcement.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM

33 posts, read 61,267 times
On the Cincinnati Police Department: There was a time when Cincinnati Police were given the highest ratings, the best in the country! Children were taught that the policeman was their friend. The white shirt and the white hat were easily identifiable and earned a mark of respect.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJLundy View Post
On the Cincinnati Police Department: There was a time when Cincinnati Police were given the highest ratings, the best in the country! Children were taught that the policeman was their friend. The white shirt and the white hat were easily identifiable and earned a mark of respect.
My sentiments exactly. If you look like a storm trooper many people are going to treat you like one.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM

307 posts, read 440,845 times
To play a bit of devils advocate here keep in mind that the sentiments of respect and reverence for the local police is not something universally felt in the city. I'm not saying that its justified in anyway shape or for but it does exist. It's a department that has significantly changed for the better in the past 10 years and perhaps the shirt color change was a way to distance itself from its recent history.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
I think the new dark uniforms have an unkempt, para-military look about them. It's also made it a bit harder to pick a policeman out the crowd, particularly without the distinctive hat. I've seen Cincinnati police and fire personnel standing right next to one other, and aside from the equipment, it's hard to tell which is which at a glance. I think this is unfortunate.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM

181 posts, read 229,602 times
I appreciate it when different cities across the country have unique characteristics. It just felt like Cincinnati when I'd see the officers in their white shirts and white hats. For me, it's a little part of Cincinnati's unique history and tradition. A little part of Cincinnati is now gone. In this day of fifteen minute fame and superficial trends, it was reassuring to see Cincinnati's finest with a classic, professional look. I don't understand why tradition was sacrificed for convenience. Cincinnati's officers were able to clean their white shirts and hats for decades, why is this no longer the case?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,057,246 times
As a former serving military Police officer, I have to say that all of you need to ASK one of the current city Police officers what THEY think about the change over to dark uniforms. I bet they wouldn`t go back.

My uniform, as a Canadian Forces military Police officer, was all black, with a bright red beret, and a armoured vest with 6 inch high white letters that said POLICE, front and back. No one was in any doubt about my position, or authority.

I was taught that respect is earned, not demanded, through professional acts , and bearing.

Our motto is simple.... Deeds Speak.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 AM

You have your views and I have mine. If you look like a storm trooper many will treat you like one. If you look like a police professional and also act like one I believe the respect will come. But if you look like a para-military I think it is more difficult to earn the respect of the average person on the street.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM

682 posts, read 1,387,817 times
Interesting enough the "Barney fife" hats were mandatory to wear at all times (even during pursuit) until the new Police chief got rid of this ridiculous requirement. Something I'm told by many of the officers was very welcome. He is are also making a serious effort to get rid of a bloated middle management and get more officers out into the neighborhood (also appreciated) some of the "Old guard" in the department don't like these changes, but as a neighborhood leader I've noticed in my neighborhood that the police are more engaged than before. They stop by on troubled blocks now to 'do paperwork' and its making a difference, crime is down.

I think the uniform change is part of public image and bring the force into this century. I wish they had "Para military" equipment..they really need it in soem neighborhoods.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Sorry, I just don't think having the police all look like members of a Swat Team does a lot for public confidence. Who is it supposed to put the fear of god into, the public or the criminal element? The police need the confidence of the public to come forward and state what they have seen or know. Failure to do this is one of the biggest problems the police have. Getting the police out into the neighborhoods, circulating and mingling with the citizens should help this, providing their demeanour does not scare the ordinary citizen away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or