U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 8,394 times

Advertisements

On the West side of the large wooded area in Arlington Heights there's a old factory building and smoke stack that is easly seen from I75. Any idea as to what that used to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruker View Post
On the West side of the large wooded area in Arlington Heights there's a old factory building and smoke stack that is easly seen from I75. Any idea as to what that used to be?
I think it must be the old Stearns and Foster mattress factory. Can't think of anything else which rivaled their size.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 AM

^I guess "factory" is too generous of a word. The building I'm thinking about is South of the S&F factory and is a brick building with a smokestack next to it.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
I thought they had cleared that whole area. Next time I drive I-75 (which I generally avoid at all costs), I'll try to look. Are you talking north or southbound? South of S&F, on the southbound lanes, there used to be an old paper mill. Now, that's Lockland, and not Arlington Hghts, but it's the only thing I can think of other than another old smokestack attached to a powerhouse on the east side of SB 75.

Incidentally, that old paper mill used to do something back as recently as the early '70s that you could never get away with today. Periodically, they used to clear the smokestack of soot by putting an explosive charge in it. The result was soot showered all over the surrounding neighborhood. You'd have to sweep your car off in the morning.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 PM

The one I'm thinking about is on the East side of Southbound 75. Probably the old powerhouse that you mentioned. The smokestack has a big old rusty cage on top of it.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 5,754 times
Looking at Google Maps I see a building with a smokestack in the 200 block of E Forrer St. There is a sign at the south end of the complex that says "The Stearns" as in Stearns and Foster. The smokestack is a bit north-east of the main building, but it looks like one big complex in that block.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robbins View Post
Looking at Google Maps I see a building with a smokestack in the 200 block of E Forrer St. There is a sign at the south end of the complex that says "The Stearns" as in Stearns and Foster. The smokestack is a bit north-east of the main building, but it looks like one big complex in that block.
While in Google Earth go to the large wooded area South of the S&F complex. On the far West side about halfway down is the building and stack that I'm refering to.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
What you have to recognize is back in that era companies had the factory and then they had the power house. The power house typically burnt coal to fire steam boilers which ran electric generators to power the equipment in the factory. A byproduct of the electric generation was the steam piped through the radiators in the factory to provide heat. The powerhouses were typically separated from the main factory, one of the reasons being you needed a pretty good size coal yard to feed the powerhouse.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM

^I agree with what your saying, it just struck me that the building is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,754 times
Is this it? Anamedia - Blog - Lockland*Incinerator Lockland Incinerator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati