U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I agree with this. Wyoming is your best bet. However, it doesn't check all your boxes. It is not hip, though it is more liberal than many of the burbs. It has very good schools. It borders the city. It has a walkable downtown (which might lack some amenities you want).

Mariemont is the other option. It is not as central or close to the city. It has a walkable downtown. Has good schools. I don't know about the politics, but it isn't exactly hip.

I recommend Wyoming only because of the proximity to the city. Though it's at the far northern end of the city, and downtown is at the far southern end.

Bellevue, KY is worth a look, as nielworms said. I also can't vouch for their schools.

You should also consider Clifton, a neighborhood in the city. It has a good grade school, and is in reasonable proximity to Walnut Hills, the city's premier middle and high school. It's ranked as the best public high school in the state for the past few years. It is in very close proximity (scooter-wise) to all of the urban core of the city. It has a nice walkable business district.

Some East Side neighborhoods in the city might work as well: Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout. Don't think safety or schools are problems for all city neighborhoods. The schools situation can be complicated, but doable. And for someone moving to the city it is relatively easy, from what I hear.
I agree with this post and think natininja has come as close to the OP's requests as can be found in the area! Great post. So if you need to do the suburban thing then:

Mariemont and Wyoming.

If you are intersested in checking the city out, which is where you will find what you are looking for then:

Clifton, Hyde Park, Mt Lookout

Northern Kentucky has some cool areas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times
Please recognize a couple of things. Typical inquiries for people with children ask for walkable downtown, great schools, family environment, short job commute, and affordable housing. This combination always requires a number of compromises.

What stands out in this OP's request is no commute, working out of the home. They mention scootering around town as a primary means of transportation. That opens up a degree of freedom few of us have ever had. Typically you have to follow the job which dictates everything else.

They even started out with a title 'urban' 'hip' towns on the outskirts of Cincinnati? plus the rest. They then describe their current environment.

We have outlying towns which had compact, walkable downtowns such as Hamilton, Middletown, and the smaller Lebanon, Milford or Loveland. But sprawl has wrecked the walkability and economic decline wrecked the downtown, plus the fact they are old, not 'hip' and schools not particularly great. I am not saying the schools are bad, as everything is relative, they are just not great. But compared to CPS they may be great.

I am not familiar with either Columbus or Cleveland enough to know whether they can fit the described criteria, but frankly since the parameters of development have been pretty uniform across large swaths of the country for decades now I doubt it.

While extolling the virtues of their current location in WI, the only reason the OP expressed for contemplating a move to Ohio was stated as personal. Obviously personal is personal and does not have to be divulged. But if considering anything from Cincinnati to Cleveland, opposite ends of the state, I would have to conclude it is not as simple as being closer to aging parents.

We had some contentious statements in this thread among ourselves. I doubt if any of these are very encouraging to the OP.

Looking back, I would be starting to consider towns such as Tipp City, Wilmington, Washington Court House, Chillicothe, and whatever the equivalents are north of Columbus and Dayton I cannot even name. Why? Because they still likely retain a larger percentage of the lazy everyday approach to life. Avoid the bigger cities completely.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,507 times
I guess scooting to downtown Milwaukee wasn't stated as an important part of their current set-up, was it? Or being "near/right on the border of Cincinnati" for their prospective new home? And being "too rural and feel[ing] isolated" wasn't considered a bad thing?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,704,790 times
^ The fact that none of us have heard from the OP in eons say all we need to know...

Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ The fact that none of us have heard from the OP in eons say all we need to know...
You got that right. They have either chosen another location in Ohio and not informed us, or have decided Ohio is not for them and to stay in WI, or are driving responders crazy in some other state - how about Indiana or Illinois?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM

221 posts, read 666,475 times
What about Northside? That's got a cool, artsy vibe. Don't know about schools, though, and safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or