U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Reputation: 924

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am willing to at least admit Cleveland and Columbus have a lot to offer which is why people live there. Keep your blinders on thinking we satisfy everyone's desires. That type of thinking is why people outside of Cincinnati consider us as hypocrites.
As if you've left Mason in the last 20 years.

Seriously, I really don't think there are any such towns in the Cincinnati area, but my knowledge of Cincinnati suburbia is very limited - mostly because I do all I can to not set foot in them. Especially places like Mason and Westchester. But why do you feel the need to come along and correct someone like abr7rmj who pointed out some places that have similarities to what the OP is looking for?

Last edited by TomJones123; 01-05-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
As if you've left Mason in the last 20 years.

Seriously, I really don't think there are any such towns in the Cincinnati area, but my knowledge of Cincinnati suburbia is very limited - mostly because I do all I can to not set foot in them. Especially places like Mason and Westchester. But why do you feel the need to come along and correct someone like abr7rmj who pointed out some places that have similarities to what the OP is looking for?
That is just the point, similarities are a stretch. Why make the stretch when we have cities in Ohio which fit their expressed criteria. As far as knowledge of Cincinnati, I have lived here over 70 years and have experienced more of the flavor of Cincinnati than you will if you stay another 20 years. Since things evolve slowly here I do not have to visit the City weekly to be quite confident in what the thinking is.

It is great to see a revival of the downtown core, but it is just that a revival, not a fait accompli. Too bad you have such an aversion to the suburbs. You may find out there are a large number of suburbanites who contribute substantially to the cultural fiber of Cincinnati. True, due to physical infirmatives we do not now get into the City much at all. But until those circumstances became debilitating we were patron sponsors of the Cincinnati Arts Association and enjoyed many performances at the Aronoff, Music Hall, Memorial Hall, Taft Theatre, etc. So quit telling me I have no vested interest in what is happening in Cincinnati. I have a lifetime invested here, have children and their families living here, and will damn well comment on anything I feel is not being done correctly.

The gung-ho professed urbanites are the Johnny-Come-Lately on the scene. If anyone is attempting to remake Cincinnati in their vision this is it. Certainly the revival of upscale urban living in Cincinnati is good for the City. People visiting will feel much more secure and this can only enhance the appeal of the City and its economic climate. But when you get the population back to 500,000 and its former glory let me know. Until then it will be the suburban population which funds the cultural pursuits of the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
That is just the point, similarities are a stretch. Why make the stretch when we have cities in Ohio which fit their expressed criteria. As far as knowledge of Cincinnati, I have lived here over 70 years and have experienced more of the flavor of Cincinnati than you will if you stay another 20 years. Since things evolve slowly here I do not have to visit the City weekly to be quite confident in what the thinking is.

It is great to see a revival of the downtown core, but it is just that a revival, not a fait accompli. Too bad you have such an aversion to the suburbs. You may find out there are a large number of suburbanites who contribute substantially to the cultural fiber of Cincinnati. True, due to physical infirmatives we do not now get into the City much at all. But until those circumstances became debilitating we were patron sponsors of the Cincinnati Arts Association and enjoyed many performances at the Aronoff, Music Hall, Memorial Hall, Taft Theatre, etc. So quit telling me I have no vested interest in what is happening in Cincinnati. I have a lifetime invested here, have children and their families living here, and will damn well comment on anything I feel is not being done correctly.

The gung-ho professed urbanites are the Johnny-Come-Lately on the scene. If anyone is attempting to remake Cincinnati in their vision this is it. Certainly the revival of upscale urban living in Cincinnati is good for the City. People visiting will feel much more secure and this can only enhance the appeal of the City and its economic climate. But when you get the population back to 500,000 and its former glory let me know. Until then it will be the suburban population which funds the cultural pursuits of the City.
The world according to Brill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Reputation: 52030
Well, now, to be fair, there is some cool and fun and cultural ... yea, even hip ... stuff going on in the 'burbs and when one crows about one's limited exposure to the suburbs, one is being just as narrow-minded as people who limit their exposure to the city.

It's a big world out there -- even beyond the 275 belt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, now, to be fair, there is some cool and fun and cultural ... yea, even hip ... stuff going on in the 'burbs and when one crows about one's limited exposure to the suburbs, one is being just as narrow-minded as people who limit their exposure to the city.

It's a big world out there -- even beyond the 275 belt!
First off, you are preaching to the choir. I've lived all over the country and came to Cincinnati from Dayton, Ohio. I've also been all over Ohio, even living in New Bremen for 8 years or so. I probably know more about living in western Ohio than many who post here. I've lived CA, NY, LA, VA, CO, OH, and I could continue but will spare you.

Cincinnati's outer suburbs are just not my cup of tea. I don't like chains, McMansions, big box stores, and conservative closed mindedness. It's not so much that I am sneering with disdain, as it's nothing to draw me there. And to be fair, I have lived in the burbs, in the country, and in the city. For me and mine, the city is where it's at. I came here because of Cincinnati Children's. I will likely stay here for the lifestyle I can live in downtown Cincy. Not to mention CPS' SCPA for my son.

Cincinnati is a bargain that's hard to beat. Not to mention all the development going on, I feel that I am basically getting in at the ground floor in an under-appreciated city that is rising from the ashes, in spite of the fierce urban/suburban divide and opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
 
1,390 posts, read 1,704,693 times
Reputation: 877
Has anyone suggested Old Town Montgomery? It'd be a stretch on the OPs budget, but it'd be an area I'd look at if I were living in White Fish Bay and considering a move to Cincinnati. Also, what's Milford looking like these days? Seems like a lot of my middle age friends in Cincinnati who are maybe 10-15 years removed from hipster glory and having school aged kids are all talking about Mariemont and Milford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Has anyone suggested Old Town Montgomery? It'd be a stretch on the OPs budget, but it'd be an area I'd look at if I were living in White Fish Bay and considering a move to Cincinnati. Also, what's Milford looking like these days? Seems like a lot of my middle age friends in Cincinnati who are maybe 10-15 years removed from hipster glory and having school aged kids are all talking about Mariemont and Milford.
Milford is nice. I don't really think it meets the OP's queries, but it's a nice town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Lebanon
204 posts, read 274,455 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleWh View Post
Hi, my husband and I and our 3 kids are thinking of relocating to the Cincinnati area. We currently live in Whitefish Bay, WI. TOP schools, we can walk anywhere, to the mall, coffee shop, library, ice cream shop. My husband can scoot to downtown Milwaukee easily. We are hoping to find a similar community near/right on the border of Cincinnati with excellent public schools. Are target home price ranges from $250,000 to $350,000. Anyone no of anything like this? I keep finding great homes around Cincinnati with great schools, but they are all in gated communities or just too rural and feel isolated. Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated!!
My first post!

NicoleWh, a few other posters have mentioned Lebanon as a possible location for you. We have lived in Lebanon for eight years, as well as in a number of other places in greater Cincinnati, and I would be glad to provide any information you'd like. Lebanon does not meet all your requirements but we have found it to be a great place to live. It has wonderful public schools (our daughter graduated in 2010 and now is at Ohio State), a picturesque and walkable downtown chock full of history, the biggest YMCA in the world, great bike path access, a cool Carnegie library, interesting shops and eateries (including ice cream AND frozen custard), an excursion train, and really wonderful housing in all styles at pretty affordable prices. We are in Warren County, which has very stable finances, five minutes to King's Island Amusement Park. Lebanon is about equidistant between Cincinnati and Dayton, with excellent access to both I-75 and I-71. Let me know if I can answer any questions. Good luck in finding your place in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
My first post!
Welcome to the forums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Reputation: 52030
Hi, Scott and welcome. I'm a Lebanon ex-resident myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top