U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,732,394 times

Advertisements

i'm really annoyed that a potentially positive contributor who lives in lebanon found this forum so negative and anti-suburb that he seems to have left. this forum is not urban ohio, we should be more open to all parts of the metro.

i think there is a lot to be said for living in the center area of an old-town-come-suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Scott, you obliquely hit on one important point.

Lebanon has quite an "old money", horse farm, southern plantation, "you need to know who your social betters are and defer to them" vibe to it.

The most popular politician around here was Mike Kilburn who would break down with Tourette's syndrome when ANYTHING involving US government money was discussed (he wanted to send grants back to Washington while he was in office, basically.) It's a very thick headed conservative area.

I'd actually call Lebanon the polar opposite of hip, if hip means inclusive and welcoming to new ideas, which is the way hip is usually intended. Lebanon almost prides itself on NOT being inclusive.

If it sounds like I'm trashing the town... I live around here - I know what the reality on the ground is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
On that note I will just bow out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i'm really annoyed that a potentially positive contributor who lives in lebanon found this forum so negative and anti-suburb that he seems to have left. this forum is not urban ohio, we should be more open to all parts of the metro.

i think there is a lot to be said for living in the center area of an old-town-come-suburb.
Read along. That wasn't the case at all. Ohioan58 shared his perspective on Lebanon, perspective he gained from living in the area.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,702,275 times
^ It seems like the OP has also bowed out, since we haven't heard from that person for a long time.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ It seems like the OP has also bowed out, since we haven't heard from that person for a long time.
The OP had expressed a desire to move to Ohio but no specific location. They were looking more for an environment rather than a criteria. I said right off their desires were probably more conduciive to other areas of Ohio than Cincinnati. Frankly I suspect they have decided to just stay where they are in WI. Never did give a good reason for moving in the first place.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM

204 posts, read 274,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

Progmac, thanks for your concern but don't worry. I am here every day.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,732,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Progmac, thanks for your concern but don't worry. I am here every day.
I seem to have misunderstood the exchange. Sorry for the drama

Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
What percentage are able to select anyplace in Ohio to live based on the fact they feel confident working out of the home? I would guesstimate 2-5% of working households. So your main looking is for the immediate living surroundings. Nice deal if you can get it and find it.

What I don't understand is pushing onto the OP something which does not meet their criteria. They obviously like the environment of where they currently live in WI outside of Milwaukee. Frankly if it is a nice as they say I would just stay there.

I certainly will recognize some other areas of Ohio may fit their needs better than Cincinnati. So what, are not the be end and do all of Ohio. Some other locations do have attractive surroundings.

But for some reason we are always trying to shoehorne people into our neighborhoods. Yes Mariemont and Wyoming are nice, particularly if you work downtown and are looking for good schools for the kids. But neither one is large enough to cram everyone inquiring on this forum into them.

I will go this far, the number of recommended neighborhoods in Cincy is indicative of just how limited it really is. Just put together a list and paste it into every inquiry. When you add to that the City does not want to recommend the suburbs and vice versa, we do come across as a rather narrow minded area to live.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,520,862 times
I don't know who your comments are directed to. But those two municipalities are the only ones that remotely resemble what the OP was asking for. Trying to pull them further from the city is a strike against the criteria they were asking for, just as much as pulling them into the city is. The main difference would seem that they seemed to have a reason for wanting to be close to the city (being able to ride a scooter into the city center) but not a clear reason for avoiding city neighborhoods, assuming the school situation is workable.

You can complain about the repeated suggestions of Wyoming and Mariemont, but again those are the ONLY places outside the city which come close to fulfilling the criteria. Bellevue is maybe the only other possibility.

Like I said, Lakewood is probably a better fit than anywhere in the Cincinnati metro, assuming it has quality schools. Cincinnati doesn't really have what was asked for, but you seem to want to attack and demonize people for suggesting the closest alternatives.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,702,275 times
Aw, come on kjbrill--let's be fair. The OP presented a specific set of criteria that suggested their family wished for some kind of Mayberry, USA--and Cincinnati posters provided them with such locales. Neither Cleveland nor Columbus can provide a vastly superior array of neighborhoods than many of us did here. If the OP can't best their WI digs by moving to the Queen City, maybe they better search for a pad in the Land of Oz.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I said Cincinnati doesn't really have what the OP asked for. The lack of hipness in those two places is the reason why. If Wyoming were hip, it would hit all their criteria. But it's not.

Lakewood, on the other hand, has a bit more hipness.
Maybe if the OP moved there they bring some hipness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or