Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 55,488 times

Advertisements

I suppose when I say 'hip' I mean, perhaps, progressive, growing with the times...we love farmers markets, Whole Foods, organic foods, small businesses...art and culture, coffee shops, etc. We have in Milwaukee the 'east side' which is very young and trendy, and very accessible to us from where we live, so we are hoping to find a neighborhood connected to areas like that without having to get on the freeway, or go through bad neighborhoods. A lot to ask for, I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleWh View Post
I suppose when I say 'hip' I mean, perhaps, progressive, growing with the times...we love farmers markets, Whole Foods, organic foods, small businesses...art and culture, coffee shops, etc. We have in Milwaukee the 'east side' which is very young and trendy, and very accessible to us from where we live, so we are hoping to find a neighborhood connected to areas like that without having to get on the freeway, or go through bad neighborhoods. A lot to ask for, I know!
Well, unless I missed something, not really. Most of the suburbs around here are mostly big box and chain stores. You may be able to find a downtown area or two from before certain towns were swallowed by commuter sprawl. Mason comes to mind. But again, the culture will not be what you are looking for, though I am sure you would be welcome. That about exhausts my very limited knowledge on the subject. Others will have to chime in, and hopefully prove me wrong.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleWh View Post
Off the top of my head, I'd say that what you're looking for in a suburban setting with good schools and within your price range probably doesn't exist. My best suggestion is for you to visit the area for a few days and systematically look at the city and surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
You'll have to live in Cincinnati to find what you are looking for. Or check out Yellowsprings over near Dayton.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Off the top of my head, I'd say that what you're looking for in a suburban setting with good schools and within your price range probably doesn't exist. My best suggestion is for you to visit the area for a few days and systematically look at the city and surrounding neighborhoods.
I have to concur. What the OP is describing just does not exist in Cincinnati, especially with environment you actually want to live in.

Mason has a old downtown with virtually nothing to go to on a regular basis. There is one decent old time drugstore which probably only exists since they will home deliver to the old foggies around here. There is a bank and a bank/savings&loan. There is a VFW and a American Legion. There are numerous dentists, lawyers, insurance agents, and doctors. There are 3 local pizza joints and one chinese carryout. But it is just not a place you would go on a regular basis except maybe the bank. Oh I did forget a local coffeehouse named Kidd's which is always busy. People just flock there. Perhaps they sell drugs along with the coffee?

The OP definitely needs to visit Cincinnati, drive around the area which admittedly takes time, and evaluate what is here.

I spent far more time in Manitowoc than Milwaukee when I was working. Really liked that area. But as we all know things change over the years.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 AM

307 posts, read 543,553 times
The only quasi-hip small towns you'll find are college towns for the most part. Mariemont is likely more hip than Wyoming but that's not really saying much. You'll just have to check them out in person!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
I sure hope our OP finds what her family's searching for in Ohio's "3-Cs." (Hopefully everyone realizes by now that these exact same questions have been posed on both the Cleveland and Columbus forums... )

Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I sure hope our OP finds what her family's searching for in Ohio's "3-Cs." (Hopefully everyone realizes by now that these exact same questions have been posed on both the Cleveland and Columbus forums... )
I wonder if Gahanna would more fit the bill.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM

477 posts, read 664,381 times
I was kind of curious about Bellevue KY's schools? I've heard the neighborhood is on the up and up (like very high rises in property values) and I've been around it and seen a lot of signs of gentrifications. I also know that the city leadership is progressive (I know their zoning administrator who put in a form based zone to encourage urban oriented development), there is a walkable downtown with coffee houses and its quite close to downtown itself... might be a fit if there are good schools. Though its still got a bit of Appalachian culture left over there, but the architecture is beautiful.

I think the OP wants a place like Evanston IL or Oak Park IL in the Cincy area, sorry to say but that doesn't exist. Mariemont would be the best and closest bet.

Actually doing a google streetview on Whitefish Bay - it looks an awful lot like Mariemont - large older houses impeccable yards and gardens - I think that would be perfect for the OP though it won't be as progressive as they may be used to. In spite of Cincy having as strong (or stronger) a German heritage as Milwaukee its not a place known for things like Sewer Socalists, more for things like the Maplethorpe exhibit censorship cases.

Last edited by neilworms2; 12-22-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 PM

24 posts, read 55,488 times
Thank you, neilworms2...I'll look into Mariemont.

I'm not sure why I'm the 'OP'...this is the first time I've ever posted to a forum. And yes, I know I posted to the 3 c's with the same post.....this is extremely overwhelming, and if I'm going to look in person, I have to narrow it down. Whitefish Bay is an idillic place to live, but we are looking in Ohio for various personal reasons...so it's hard to give up what I have, but we do hope we can find a place that's not too isolated with a bigger house. We're pretty cramped here....no yard, kitchen the size of a large bathroom...with 3 kids, that's a frustration for us. So, in search of that, we're willing to leave our idillic town. I don't mean to annoy anyone by posting in all 3, but I feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack, except I don't get to actually 'look' at the haystack, lol. So forgive me! I do appreciate all the help so far though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati