U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Thanks, but I doubt if I will ever see the inside of that place. An occasional $85-$100 for 6 adults and a child is stretching our budget about as far as we can swing.
That could be anywhere these days. My cousin told me that it costs him nearly $60 to feed his family of 2 adults and four kids at McDonalds. What amazes me is that his kids, three boys and a girl, are skinny as rails, and yet seem to eat him out of house and home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 01:08 AM

800 posts, read 696,490 times
>I wonder if 3CDC has plans to continue north of liberty though. Anyone heard?

No I don't think so.

I think we will see redevelopment generally follow the streetcar route and probably the last streets to go untouched will be McMicken and E. Clifton. I would not be surprised of those two streets continue in their haggard state for another 10 years. I think Mulberry St. is a solid investment for someone who plans to be here for at least 10 years. Also I do think that if the Findlay Market area really takes off we will see more investment in the Dayton St. area. I have been telling people that the streetcar line should branch over to the nice part of the West End but I haven' heard anyone get excited about that idea.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>I wonder if 3CDC has plans to continue north of liberty though. Anyone heard?

No I don't think so.

I think we will see redevelopment generally follow the streetcar route and probably the last streets to go untouched will be McMicken and E. Clifton. I would not be surprised of those two streets continue in their haggard state for another 10 years. I think Mulberry St. is a solid investment for someone who plans to be here for at least 10 years. Also I do think that if the Findlay Market area really takes off we will see more investment in the Dayton St. area. I have been telling people that the streetcar line should branch over to the nice part of the West End but I haven' heard anyone get excited about that idea.
I appreciate the answer. I agree in McMicken and E. Clifton. Hopefully, demand will spearhead developers into the area at some point sooner than we think. I shopped several homes on Dayton Street a couple years ago, but could never get my mind around how busted the immediate area was. So I moved on, looking elsewhere. The area has a lot of potential. I agree that connecting it to one of the street car lines could prove an artery of life for the entire area. As a side note, at Findlay and Baymiller there are four to five Philly style row-houses that I would love to see renovated. Two of them are still occupied. I really lament the destruction of Kenyon Barr into Queensgate and the Westend. That's a real tragedy.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM

800 posts, read 696,490 times
McMicken and E. Clifton are still very densely built, including various side streets, so there is going to be a serious parking problem in that area when and if it is rehabbed. I've suggested for a long time that a streetcar line should have or still could have been built on Main/Walnut north to Rothenberg School, then northwest on McMicken, continuing past the planned streetcar route at Vine to Mohawk Corner. At that point the line would cross Central Parkway, continue west on Bank St., then turn north on Colerain or another side street to Brighton (base of the diagonal bridge over Central Parkway). The total distance is about 1.75 miles so similar in scope to the currently under construction phase of the streetcar.

What's been entirely lost in the streetcar controversy is that that rail public transportation motivates banks to lend money for projects with less parking. When the parking situation is relieved in this way, it allows many projects to happen that wouldn't be possible otherwise. That's why in places like Portland there have been explosions of redevelopment along the lines -- it changes the lending rules, and it's lending more than anything else that has held back Over-the-Rhine all these years.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:11 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
What's been entirely lost in the streetcar controversy is that that rail public transportation motivates banks to lend money for projects with less parking. When the parking situation is relieved in this way, it allows many projects to happen that wouldn't be possible otherwise. That's why in places like Portland there have been explosions of redevelopment along the lines -- it changes the lending rules, and it's lending more than anything else that has held back Over-the-Rhine all these years.
Great points. That seems to be lost in Cincinnati, where it has become so politicized. At least we are moving ahead with something though. There has been some rehab along McMicken, but nothing mixed use, and no commercial. It's all section 8 as far as I know.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,700 times
Quote:
McMicken and E. Clifton are still very densely built, including various side streets, so there is going to be a serious parking problem in that area when and if it is rehabbed. I've suggested for a long time that a streetcar line should have or still could have been built on Main/Walnut north to Rothenberg School, then northwest on McMicken, continuing past the planned streetcar route at Vine to Mohawk Corner. At that point the line would cross Central Parkway, continue west on Bank St., then turn north on Colerain or another side street to Brighton (base of the diagonal bridge over Central Parkway). The total distance is about 1.75 miles so similar in scope to the currently under construction phase of the streetcar.

Great post--informative, insightful, provocative--thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati