U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM

101 posts, read 189,057 times

Advertisements

We will be staying in Covington near the river and want to know how traffic is and the easiest way to get to the game. My girlfriend and I would rather not walk too far, so we'd even look at a taxi or the Southbank Shuttle. Are taxis easy to get a couple hours before the game? We'd rather leave the car at the hotel. How bad is traffic getting across the Bailey Bridge (Hwy. 42)? Will that slow buses or taxis at all?

Thanks for all the help you can give us. WHO DEY!

Edit: Forgot to ask how close a taxi might be able to drop us off at PBS too. I noticed a few road closures on the Bengals website prior to games and I know the Shuttle drops off at the Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,518 times
I probably can't give you specifics, but generally speaking, traffic around the Cincinnati sports stadiums is a cakewalk compared to other towns. I once went to a game at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh...what a nightmare!!! It began with the lot attendants parking the lot so tightly that you simply couldn't leave until the other cars around you left. We just reopened our tailgate for another hour. Then we spent another hour gridlocked trying to get to the highway. I'll never do that again! As far as Cincinnati is concerned, you not have any of those problems.

The Freedom Center is two or three blocks from the stadium, so not an awful walk, and probably not much further than if you actually drove there and tried to park. Cabs don't generally sit and wait at hotels in the Cincinnati-area. If you want a cab, as the hotel to arrange for one to pick you up. I would be more concerned about how to get back to the hotel if you were going by cab.

I could be way wrong about this, but the Bailey Bridge I would guess would not be very crowded, relatively speaking. The reason being is that it doesn't tie into any major thoroughfares that would be a natural way in and out to the stadium, but I could be way wrong on this. I've never been on that bridge at game time.

A lot of people walk across the bridges from Kentucky, but that is a bit of a hike, particularly in the cold. Not so bad during the summer going to a Reds game, and gives you a great view of the city.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
Since you are not that familiar with the area, I would be thinking of a taxi. It is predicted to be a cold (29) blustery day on Sunday. Bring your cold weather gear and have the taxi drop you off right at the stadium, there is no reason they cannot. If you have a cell-phone, at the conclusion of the game call the taxi company and ask them to pick you up.

Take the easy route, enjoy yourselves.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks a lot. We'll probably take the taxi then. Lived in Cincinnati for a year back in 2000 and I'm surprised at how much it's changed. Can't wait to get back and enjoy the game. Being from Wisconsin (and living in Minnesota now) 29 would be a cakewalk weather wise
But we still plan on dressing warmly, as the wind can whip around in the stadiums pretty good.
BTW, are they any taxi companies to recommend? Cost is really not an issue as the distance is pretty short.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,024,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
Thanks a lot. We'll probably take the taxi then. Lived in Cincinnati for a year back in 2000 and I'm surprised at how much it's changed. Can't wait to get back and enjoy the game. Being from Wisconsin (and living in Minnesota now) 29 would be a cakewalk weather wise
But we still plan on dressing warmly, as the wind can whip around in the stadiums pretty good.
BTW, are they any taxi companies to recommend? Cost is really not an issue as the distance is pretty short.
I think they are all about the same. Yellow Cab or Checker, and honestly, when I have called them for a cab, I've never gotten a cab that has that name on it. None of the cab companies here in town are very big, and I think there may be independent drivers who affiliate with these central dispatch operations.

As I said above, though, it will be easy enough to get a cab to the game, but making arrangements or finding one on the way out may be a bigger challenge.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, just wanted to thank everyone for their help. We ended up taking the hotel shuttle to the game and a taxi back. Really very easy. Traffic is bad around PBS but not nearly as bad as other cities I've been to. Many people were also walking across the Roebling bridge. Also, it was a great game (despite starters not playing too much), Bengals won 23-17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati