U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:10 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,386,808 times

Advertisements

How many are getting the Grace Period Over or equivalent message from Cincinnati.com when attempting to access it?

Apparently they have instituted their subscription fee service for digital media also. I read some articles stating they feel justified in doing this due to the high level of reporting they provide. High level, that is news to me.

I cancelled the print edition over 10 years ago as it had become only fodder for the recycling bin.

Apparently those who still subscribe to a print edition, the price of which went up in October, will still be granted access to the digital media.

I looked up the subscription rates online. I can get a Digital Media Only subscription for $10/month. No thanks, I will just have no subscription. Those who post links to Cincinnati.com on City-Data I will just miss.

BTW... Have any of you been confronted with posting an obituary in the Enquirer recently - WOW! For a paper with a constantly shrinking circulation they are apparently trying to make the revenue up via obituaries - some public service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,306,615 times
clear your cookies.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
clear your cookies.
No thanks, I would rather just ignore Cincinnati.com.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,126,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No thanks, I would rather just ignore Cincinnati.com.
Computers often work better if you clear out the cookies every once in a while, probably irregardless of cincinnati.com.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Computers often work better if you clear out the cookies every once in a while, probably irregardless of cincinnati.com.
I clear cookies at least once a week as part of a total scan. More often than that I refuse to do so.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM

25 posts, read 30,392 times
The Enquirer is a complete joke and unless I'm mistaken they quality of their content has declined further since their subscription model took effect.

You can clear out your cookies or browse using InPrivate Browsing" in Internet Explorer, "Incognito mode" in Chrome, and "Private Browsing" in Firefox or Safari.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,954,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Those who post links to Cincinnati.com on City-Data I will just miss.
I can still read linked articles without a problem. As for getting the latest on whatever's going on or just happened, there are Web links for all the TV channels.
It's been so long since I visited the "Newspaper Room" at the Boston Public Library for Cincy news fixes that for all I know it doesn't exist any more. And the local Out of Town News shop with its self-explanatory name has largely gotten out of that business in reality. There's no point in having newspapers flown in from all over the world to put on your shelves when just about everyone can open a Website and read the same stuff there. (Against seemingly high odds they still run a viable business largely selling hard-to-find magazines like hobbyist publications, as if those too aren't online.)
As for the "digital" Enquirer, I was pretty much already outta there once you were compelled to open a Facebook account in order to jump in on commenting. I don't think so!!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM

Before the Enquirer revamped their online content I was a big fan. They used to have neighborhood forums which were quite useful. Myself and a number of others used the Mason forum to comment on items of local interest, from schools and levies to Mason city government. It was a lively group with a lot of interaction. Newcomers to the area would find the site and recognize there were many of us who were long term residents. They would post inquires on items of interest to a new resident. The Enquirer staffer in charge of monitoring the forum would actually email occasionally and invite myself and a few others to lunch to discuss ways to make the forum more interesting. I am not sure how many local forums they had, but I do know there was a West Chester/Liberty Township one which I would browse since there is quite an overlap with Mason.

I would have paid a subscription fee for this alone. It was very interesting, informative, and enjoyable. For the most part I knew the interaction was with people in Mason having similar interests. And the arguments during elections were quite enlightening, and sometimes downright insulting.

Suddenly, with no prior warning, the entire ability to post comments or start a discussion disappeared. There is still a site, but it is a sham of the original and obviously coordinated through Facebook. A few articles generated by Enquirer personnel with no provision for comment - worthless.

I agree with goyguy, once they went to Facebook for comment I thought this is the end, they cannot afford to maintain their own servers for online feedback. RIP Enquirer you are not far from extinction.

I get the majority of my local Mason and surrounding news from the Pulse Journal organization. I believe they are organized out of Mason and are part of Cox Publishing. I use the online website only. If they still have a print edition I have no idea why. I know years ago advertising rates were set by newspapers based on circulation, how many print editions they generated even if most of them went down a manhole. Certainly this went by the wayside years ago? So why does their website still have a tab to get the print edition?

I would be much more likely to pay a subscription fee to Pulse Journal to maintain their online content than to Cincinnati.com. Why? Because they quite simply publish information pertinent to the immediate area I live in, usually quite accurate, and do not project pretentious views. In other words I feel I can trust them - novel idea heh?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM

31,237 posts, read 57,419,185 times
Some of us ink-stained neanderthals still like to hold a newspaper in our hands. Reading online gives me a headache.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,835,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Some of us ink-stained neanderthals still like to hold a newspaper in our hands. Reading online gives me a headache.
That's like waking up, grabbing a cup of joe, and reading an antique. And lol@ink-stained neanderthal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati