Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you describe yourslef and your attitude towards Cincinnati?
Socially Liberal and I like it 13 20.97%
Socially Liberal and meh, its ok... 4 6.45%
Socially Liberal and I dont like it 6 9.68%
Socially Moderate and I like it 6 9.68%
Socially Moderate and meh, its ok... 3 4.84%
Socially Moderate and I dont like it 2 3.23%
Socially Conservative and I like it 9 14.52%
Socially Conservative and meh, its ok... 5 8.06%
Socially Conservative and I dont like it 6 9.68%
View 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,847,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Hey. Hey. Hey! Cleveland rocks! Go Browns!
Heehee...that comment was at least partially for your benefit Wondered what kinda reaction I'd get

Our BENGALS will be back to seeya on 12/23 for some good Holiday WHO-DEY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 PM

83 posts, read 437,081 times
I've lived in Cincinnati my whole life, but have had stints elsewhere (Philly, Atlanta). I love this city and it would take an awful lot to take me away from here. I consider myself socially VERY liberal, and while this place isn't the most liberal place in the world...it is one of the best places to live.

We have many GREAT attributes that many cities would kill to have. We have some of the best geographical features of any city in the nation, we have great arts/culture, great parks and lots of things to do.

Like I said, I've lived elsewhere and I've been to many different cities. I wouldn't trade Cincinnati for any of them and that list includes places like: Philly, Atlanta, DC, Chicago and NYC (to name a few). I LOVE CINCINNATI!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,407,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
You're right, when the Hamilton-Middletown area is added in. Without those locales in the mix, I was thinking just Cincy and its immediately-related 'burbs are closer to the 1.8MM figure.

Either way, I stand by my earlier points about liking the place
Yeah, I suppose Butler county is sometimes considered it's own little metro area. But I'm not that far from Springdale, so I guess I don't really think about that.

And it's all cool as far as liking Cincinnati. I'm not all opposed to it the way I've been accused of being. Like Uncle Rando below, I can find a lot of good things about it. In fact, I was thinking the past couple of days it might be neat to find an apartment downtown somewhere. I mean, I like living in the 'burbs, because I pretty much have access to whatever I want or need out here, and it's easy to get away from the crowded feel of the city. But there actually was a time when I desperately wanted to live downtown, or in Mt. Adams (yeah, like I could afford that ), and my dormant urban itch is starting to show up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRando View Post
I've lived in Cincinnati my whole life, but have had stints elsewhere (Philly, Atlanta). I love this city and it would take an awful lot to take me away from here. I consider myself socially VERY liberal, and while this place isn't the most liberal place in the world...it is one of the best places to live.

We have many GREAT attributes that many cities would kill to have. We have some of the best geographical features of any city in the nation, we have great arts/culture, great parks and lots of things to do.

Like I said, I've lived elsewhere and I've been to many different cities. I wouldn't trade Cincinnati for any of them and that list includes places like: Philly, Atlanta, DC, Chicago and NYC (to name a few). I LOVE CINCINNATI!
The area does have great parks, you're right. Cincinnati - particularly the region as a whole - has a lot of things to do, and many great points. Granted, I'm not like you as far as wanting to live here the rest of my life. I really want to get away, but only because it's time for me to move on and explore other places. I've lived here 42 years, and I want a change.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,533,595 times
I too get the urban itch and want to return to the city to live and I did it for a short period of time in 2005 after being away for 21 years living in the Forest Park area. I transitioned and came to Oxford for Grad School, but live right at the end of the city zone of Hamilton,Ohio on the west side right before you get ready to climb the hill to Oxford. They have really built up out here, since my last visit to this area back in the early 90's. Matter of fact the building I reside in is only three years old. I also thought about living downtown by our lovely skyline, but I must admit the city has way to much crime for me and until they clean it up, I will stay out in the burbs somewhere or I will be leaving if a decent paying job is offered by an employer in Louisville, Ky. I love my city too, but they are choosing an agenda that keeps Cincinnati from prospering. I remember a transplant saying that our city had a spirit of gloom and doom upon it, well when you think about all the bloodshed that occurs in the inner city and the sense of hopelessness among so many people, it makes one wonder where are we really heading.

I got you by two years WCRob and I agree-you can get to a place where you want to venture out and try something different. Hope you find that place!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:59 AM

41,699 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Our BENGALS will be back to seeya on 12/23 for some good Holiday WHO-DEY!!!
I'll give you some Who-Dey ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I was thinking the past couple of days it might be neat to find an apartment downtown somewhere. I mean, I like living in the 'burbs, because I pretty much have access to whatever I want or need out here, and it's easy to get away from the crowded feel of the city.
You know what I really miss about Cincinnati? The ability to live in the city, in an affordable house, but still have a patch of land to mow and garden and dig in. I couldn't find that in Philadelphia proper, where the affordable housing is all row houses and your neighbors are always breathing down your neck (no wonder the crime rate is so flippin' high around here -- everyone's crammed in like sardines). There are no neighborhoods like Westwood or Madisonville in Philadelphia, where you feel like you're in the burbs, but you're not. I miss that.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM

156 posts, read 628,978 times
Exclamation argh?

Quote:
What the heck????? If you are from Cincy, why is your name "ohiogirl" and your team THE BROWNS???????????? shame!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Hey, the last I checked, Cleveland was still in Ohio. And the Browns were around long before the Bungles.

Don't make me post the Bengals jokes that a friend from Cincinnati sent me last week!

OK, if you insist .... Here's my favorite:

Q: How do you keep a Cincinnati Bengal out of your yard?
A: Put up a scarecrow dressed as a Cincinnati Police Officer.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
HA! Sounds good. We can have a few laughs over some Who-Dey and a couple beers (as your subhead says...)

Quote:
You know what I really miss about Cincinnati? The ability to live in the city, in an affordable house, but still have a patch of land to mow and garden and dig in. I couldn't find that in Philadelphia proper, where the affordable housing is all row houses and your neighbors are always breathing down your neck (no wonder the crime rate is so flippin' high around here -- everyone's crammed in like sardines). There are no neighborhoods like Westwood or Madisonville in Philadelphia, where you feel like you're in the burbs, but you're not. I miss that.
Oh my gosh...NO doubt about that. I've spent some time in Philly, Baltimore and D.C. Nothin' but row houses and hi-rises, everywhere you look! That is so depressing, and it would drive me absolutely nuts Props to you for putting up with it; I know I could never stand living there Actually, I have lived in a townhouse-style apartment for awhile, and even that's a bit claustrophobia-inducing for my taste but... at least it's out in the suburbs.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Q: How do you keep a Cincinnati Bengal out of your yard?
A: Put up a scarecrow dressed as a Cincinnati Police Officer.
Q: Why won't the NFL ever grant Columbus a professional football team?
A: Then Cleveland would want one, too!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:24 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,407,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I too get the urban itch and want to return to the city to live and I did it for a short period of time in 2005 after being away for 21 years living in the Forest Park area. I transitioned and came to Oxford for Grad School, but live right at the end of the city zone of Hamilton,Ohio on the west side right before you get ready to climb the hill to Oxford. They have really built up out here, since my last visit to this area back in the early 90's. Matter of fact the building I reside in is only three years old. I also thought about living downtown by our lovely skyline, but I must admit the city has way to much crime for me and until they clean it up, I will stay out in the burbs somewhere or I will be leaving if a decent paying job is offered by an employer in Louisville, Ky. I love my city too, but they are choosing an agenda that keeps Cincinnati from prospering. I remember a transplant saying that our city had a spirit of gloom and doom upon it, well when you think about all the bloodshed that occurs in the inner city and the sense of hopelessness among so many people, it makes one wonder where are we really heading.

I got you by two years WCRob and I agree-you can get to a place where you want to venture out and try something different. Hope you find that place!
You're in West Hamilton, huh? My mom lives there, as does my niece. My brother lives in Oxford, and I LOOOOOOVE it up there. So much charm. The ambiance is so lively for a small town.

As for venturing away from here, I've given thought to several different places - Rapid City, the front range of Colorado, perhaps Boise, maybe the Salt Lake region (not sure about that yet, but I've heard it's gorgeous there), or Portland/Western Oregon somewhere.

Quote:
Wow. I had no idea Philly was like that. I'm actually a bit surprised. I somehow pictured it as having an array of diverse neighborhoods with open areas. But yep, you're right - it is decently affordable in Cincinnati if you want your own yard.

Quote:
Q: Why won't the NFL ever grant Columbus a professional football team?
A: Then Cleveland would want one, too!
LOL! That was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati