Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
Since my interest in places has always been focused initially on local history, early on, I discovered two older local history books which contained an amazing amount of historical information about Cincinnati. The first, was the 1943 WPA Writer's Project's: The Cincinnati Guide which I believe is available for free read and download via Google Books. I bought a hard copy (ex-library) fairly inexpensively online; the second book which provided a slightly different perspective (more personal and less objective) was Clara Longworth De Chambrun's 1939 City history: Cincinnati-The Story of the Queen City. Mrs. De Chambrun was a direct descendant of Cincinnati's "royal" family, the Longworths, and acquired a European pedigree through marriage to a French Count. This book too was a relatively inexpensive online buy and may also be available for free reading and download online. I also purchased a 1988 City Centennial book but found it lacking in additional information when compared to the aforemention volumes. Last, serendipity struck and for only $3 I found a copy (from an online seller) of Dick Perry's Vas You Ever in Zinzinnati? (1966) signed by Mr. Perry himself. It seems Mr. Perry was a local television personality and writer based in Oxford, OH. His book provided some valuable insight into Cincinnatians' thinking about their city during the early to mid-1960's. I've since purchased some more recent small circulation, local history books published by Arcadia Press and written by Betty Anne Smiddy and a Northside neighborhood book by Dann Woellert. Add another two extended visits to the Queen City in recent years as well as an on-going correspondence with several local residents (Hi Paul!) and I feel I've acquired a much better understanding about Cincinnati, its history, and its people. Since the Harrisons have been mentioned (William Henry and Benjamin) I'm curious to know if Westwood's Harrison Avenue is named in honor of one of the presidents? (or after someone else in the Harrison family?) Few inland cities in the U.S. can claim such an illustrious history as Cincinnati and whether we ever become Queen City residents or not the City's history, places, and people will always be fascinating to me.
Thank you for the references.

Presumably one or the other explains how the town got it's name, Queen City of the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Presumably one or the other explains how the town got it's name, Queen City of the West.
Even kindergarteners know that name was bestowed on the city in the early 19th Century, when it was the West.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Even kindergarteners know that name was bestowed on the city in the early 19th Century, when it was the West.
Then it's surely mentioned some place in the references.

Postscript: Oh, and since the Louisiana Territory was purchased in 1803, the Old Northwest Territory was already "Midwest" then. I'd guess....

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 01-05-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
In fact, my son is a kindergartner and knows as much.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
In fact, my son is a kindergartner and knows as much.
They teach the Louisiana Purchase in kindergarten?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
They teach the Louisiana Purchase in kindergarten?
Right.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Right.
I guess missing kindergarten really did hamper my education, but, see, that dastardly Dayton Board of Education, et. al, said you didn't have to have your kid in kindergarten, so my folks decided not to bother -- I could experience Indiana instead.

Gee, whiz. If they know about the Louisiana Purchase in kindergarten, I guess we can expect a cure for the common cold from someone in the sixth grade next year.

Now, if you don't mind, I really posted the message for the kindly person from Texas.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM

165 posts, read 396,675 times
So, no one knows if Harrison Avenue in Westwood is named after one of the Presidents with that surname? No big deal either way, I suppose. I was hesitant to add the Queen City "of the West" part because Fort Worth, TX tried to appropriate that name in the 1880's as it became a major railroad hub for points west. Even today, the large north Texas city to the west of Dallas designates itself "Where the West Begins" as well as Cowtown and Panther City...seems like its had a bit of an identity crisis over the years. But to me, Cincinnati will always be THE Queen City-it earned that title well over a century ago and deserves to keep it in perpetuity, IMO.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
So, no one knows if Harrison Avenue in Westwood is named after one of the Presidents with that surname? No big deal either way, I suppose. I was hesitant to add the Queen City "of the West" part because Fort Worth, TX tried to appropriate that name in the 1880's as it became a major railroad hub for points west. Even today, the large north Texas city to the west of Dallas designates itself "Where the West Begins" as well as Cowtown and Panther City...seems like its had a bit of an identity crisis over the years. But to me, Cincinnati will always be THE Queen City-it earned that title well over a century ago and deserves to keep it in perpetuity, IMO.
Without looking it up, I'd say Harrison Avenue is probably named after one of the Presidents. A lot of public things are named Harrison. And, one can even find strong positive emphasis put on the word. As you might conclude, back in them days of naming the choices available were standard stuff like trees and numbers, Native American words, early American English-based stuff and a smattering of different colonization, which in this general area was largely French.

Given the statehood of Hawaii, in reality today any "Queen City of the West" might be in ... California? It's kind of a moot point. Howabout Queen City of the New Southwest and Queen City of the Old Northwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati