U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,843,905 times

Advertisements

Not sure I have one favorite thing.

List:

- Downtown/Uptown neighborhoods
- Friendly people
- Bars (Milton's, Murphy's, Japps, Mr. Pitifuls, MOTR Pub..I could continue)
- Food (Chili / Goetta make the top of the food list)
- Quality of life / cost of living
- SCPA

ok....enuff for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,665,906 times
So many things to limit it to just one ... but I'll go with the river and bridges.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,968,376 times
I love the terrain here.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM

361 posts, read 549,116 times
I knew it wouldn't take long before a response such as post #9 would be interjected into the thread. But anyway, there are several things I really like about Cincinnati so I can't just name one:

Graeters
The Parks
Little Miami Bike Trail
Architecture
The Library system
Springtime in Cincy
The view of downtown from the "cut-in-the-hill" (a view unmatched by many cities)
Relatively stress free traffic

Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,981,834 times
...being able to say I'm from there without having to live there. The cliche about being a nice place to visit applies to NYC usually (and aptly) but holds true for Cincinnati as well.
As far as tangible things go, there IS a lot to like and that's a tough call to make. Since most of my faves are predictable and have already been cited I'll throw in my vote for AMMA'S KITCHEN. For those who haven't seen my umpteen other mentions of it, Amma's serves THE best Indian food I've had anywhere (including in Japan, and on the East Coast where there's no shortage of that cuisine.) Its quirks add to its cachet in my book. The eats are not only awesome, they're 100% vegetarian. There's even a buffet lunch for vegans on Wednesdays. Cauliflower and green beans - to name but two veggies - go from bland and everyday to objects of ravenous worship in the capable hands of their cooks. "Tastes good, and good for you too!" The other quirk is that they're situated in a drab building which once housed the long-lived and still-lamented Fortune Kookie, in...Roselawn??? Well, not every Indian restaurant in da Nati can be along Ludlow Ave - or on Reading Rd north of Glendale-Milford - I suppose. And the negative reputation of "Woes Lawn" in more recent times is way overstated. It hasn't kept Amma's from staying open into the night and drawing crowds. (Once I even saw an oversized black pickup truck in their parking lot, festooned with Harley-Davidson and deer hunting stickers. Talk about crossover appeal!)

Last edited by goyguy; 01-03-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM

864 posts, read 1,200,836 times
Too many to list, but I have to go with the architecture! Our incredible architecture really sets Cincinnati apart.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,314,592 times
Oktoberfest is way up there for me as is the chili and the beautiful neighborhoods such as Mt Adams, OTR, Columbia-Tusculum, and Hyde Park.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,749,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
...being able to say I'm from there without having to live there. The cliche about being a nice place to visit applies to NYC usually (and aptly) but holds true for Cincinnati as well.
As far as tangible things go, there IS a lot to like and that's a tough call to make. Since most of my faves are predictable and have already been cited I'll throw in my vote for AMMA'S KITCHEN. For those who haven't seen my umpteen other mentions of it, Amma's serves THE best Indian food I've had anywhere (including in Japan, and on the East Coast where there's no shortage of that cuisine.) Its quirks add to its cachet in my book. The eats are not only awesome, they're 100% vegetarian. There's even a buffet lunch for vegans on Wednesdays. Cauliflower and green beans - to name but two veggies - go from bland and everyday to objects of ravenous worship in the capable hands of their cooks. "Tastes good, and good for you too!" The other quirk is that they're situated in a drab building which once housed the long-lived and still-lamented Fortune Kookie, in...Roselawn??? Well, not every Indian restaurant in da Nati can be along Ludlow Ave - or on Reading Rd north of Glendale-Milford - I suppose. And the negative reputation of "Woes Lawn" in more recent times is way overstated. It hasn't kept Amma's from staying open into the night and drawing crowds. (Once I even saw an oversized black pickup truck in their parking lot, festooned with Harley-Davidson and deer hunting stickers. Talk about crossover appeal!)
My favorite indian place as well. The ludlow indian places are great, but standard. Amma's is really unique and just outstanding.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,721,170 times
Like several other forum members, I'm finding it hard to limit my list or pick my favorite attraction, but here goes (in no specific order):

--The balcony, Church of Holy Cross-Immaculata. What an onlooker can see up here says so much about the uniqueness of Cincinnati. Residents or tourists, lovers or strangers; no one can stand here for long without being affected by the city's beauty.

--The entirety, Mt.Adams. If I say anymore about this hilltop enclave than has already been said, I'll be redundant. (We all know why we like it, don't we?) This yuppie adult playground does many things right and has been doing so for decades.

--The statue, the Tyler-Davidson Fountain. The "Genius of Water" is our Muse, our Lady of Cincinnati, our very own Kuan Yin, Bodhisattva of Compassion.

--The vestibules, St. Louis, St. Xavier, and St. Frances de Sales churches. The votive lights, incense, silence and solemnity of these three mystical passageways lead many of us back into the Catacombs and the chambers of our own spirituality.

--The intersection, Clifton & Ludlow Avenues. Is this not only the most beloved neighborhood corner in Uptown, but also that of the entire city? Burnet Woods, Skyline Chili, the firehouse, and a florist shop--and all those #17s, 51s, and 39s passing by with so many people. (For those of you who adore Hyde Park Square, I understand completely; which one of these two locales does it best is your call.)

--The observatory, Carew Tower. Yes, the I-75 Cut-in-the-Hill "entrance into Cincy" is an exhilarating one, but a place no traveler can linger or feel safe. In contrast and for only $2.00, one can possess the most panoramic and striking vistas of the city imaginable--and, with eats and drinks in hand, stay all day in all kinds of weather. (And yes--the little wooden elevator near the top is an anachronism, but a charming one.)

--The arcade, Carew Tower. Remember yesteryear? Remember how it was? Remember Pogue's escalators and elevators (manned by women operators)? Remember Hathaway's Coffee Shop when you had to wait for well-heeled matrons to vacate their stools--long, long before there was any Radio Shack in the hallway? Then you know what this grand, inner commercial corridor once was. (To a degree, it still is.)

--The environs, Eden Park. Really, how good does it get? Several lakes of distinctly different character, upper and lower river overlooks, scenic and shaded walkways; Krohn Conservatory, Art Museum, and Seasongood Pavilion. (and soon, a new microbrewery?) And lest we forget--this coming springtime, please take along a bag of bread cubes to feed all those ducks.

(for now... )

Last edited by motorman; 01-04-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,233,620 times
Lightbulb LOL...Just ONE Thing?

I'll do 3:

Great American Ball Park...a BEAUTIFUL place to watch a ballgame (Go Reds 2013!)

Fountain Square...I get goosebumps every time I see a live shot on the news, or the many photos I've seen on the Internet

The neighborhoods and people...bless em all, east and west, no matter what color or creed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or