U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM
 
800 posts, read 698,172 times
Reputation: 552

Advertisements

This is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,949,231 times
Reputation: 6455
Jeepers, am I glad I uprooted from that back-azzwards city.
I wonder whether the planned 7-story "student housing" building will be an architectural and aesthetic marvel like that complex the Friars Club was leveled for. And aren't the out-of-towners with deep pockets eying the cool curved brick building at the SE corner of (West) Clifton and McMillan also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 AM
 
800 posts, read 698,172 times
Reputation: 552
Yes, that building will be demolished as part of the same project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 AM
 
800 posts, read 698,172 times
Reputation: 552
Oh, and during the eminent domain fight over McMillan Manor (now U Square), we were told that the Shell gas station was spared because "the neighborhood wanted it". What "neighborhood"? You want us to believe that the students on Ohio Ave. really responded to a survey and that was was the consensus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Over-the-Rhine, Ohio
548 posts, read 609,202 times
Reputation: 643
Not like I want to make the case for the Christy's/Lenhardt's demolition but I this case, the preservation community waited too long to act. This building should've been on the registry 4 years ago. Time to be proactive. To wait until the owner decides to sell the building to suddenly start shouting is simply reactive. It's a day late and a dollar short.

Now's when we should be looking at other landmarks in the city to work toward historic designations.



Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Jeepers, am I glad I uprooted from that back-azzwards city.
I wonder whether the planned 7-story "student housing" building will be an architectural and aesthetic marvel like that complex the Friars Club was leveled for. And aren't the out-of-towners with deep pockets eying the cool curved brick building at the SE corner of (West) Clifton and McMillan also?
First, I'm glad you feel more comfortable where you're living now, but I'm seriously LMAO at the notion that Boston is somehow less backward than Cincy. Y'all don't have the best track record.

Second, the curved building is part of the same development. Quite frankly, I care more about the loss of that building than the Goetz House. That said, I think it's ridiculous that the developer can't build around all of these buildings. None of them should be leveled. Have architects really gotten THAT lazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,834,109 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
To wait until the owner decides to sell the building to suddenly start shouting is simply reactive.
I don't want to see the properties demolished, but I am with the owner on this one. He has been a staple in Clifton Heights for years, supported the neighborhood, etc. Now, when he wants to sell his properties it looked as he might not be able to. That to me isn't right. The properties are his, and he should have the right to sell them. Period. I would feel different if the properties were already designated historical. But in this case the historical designation was simply used to stop him from selling to a developer. I'm happy for the way it turned out, even if the buildings are demolished and more crappy student housing is built. UC is it's own economy in CUF. That's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
477 posts, read 530,521 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
First, I'm glad you feel more comfortable where you're living now, but I'm seriously LMAO at the notion that Boston is somehow less backward than Cincy. Y'all don't have the best track record.
Boston should be a model for Cincy, it was able to overcome the bad track record with flying colors and pretty much pioneer historic preservation and adaptive reuse.

Cincy is making progress though, but it still needs to be fought for.

Quote:
Not like I want to make the case for the Christy's/Lenhardt's demolition but I this case, the preservation community waited too long to act. This building should've been on the registry 4 years ago. Time to be proactive. To wait until the owner decides to sell the building to suddenly start shouting is simply reactive. It's a day late and a dollar short.
The CPA is terrible. I'm just going to put it right out there. They should have been the ones going around doing this kind of work ahead of time. Maybe when the powers that be in the Uptown Consortum came up with this outdated (even then) urban renewal plan 20 years ago. The comm council has good leadership now and should maybe start doing this for other landmark buildings in the area.

The most we can hope for now is better quality infill, I keep going back to the example in Columbus but it can be done. Its a crying shame that it doesn't really happen in Cincy though:

http://www.woodcompanies.com/sites/d...eshow_2013.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,521,507 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
The CPA is terrible. I'm just going to put it right out there. They should have been the ones going around doing this kind of work ahead of time. Maybe when the powers that be in the Uptown Consortum came up with this outdated (even then) urban renewal plan 20 years ago. The comm council has good leadership now and should maybe start doing this for other landmark buildings in the area.
Yes, no sense in complaining about water under the bridge now. The focus should be on making sure it doesn't happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
477 posts, read 530,521 times
Reputation: 275
I still cannot understand how a city with as amazing a Historic architecture collection as Cincinnati has does not have a more powerful preservation community, it boggles the mind!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I don't want to see the properties demolished, but I am with the owner on this one. He has been a staple in Clifton Heights for years, supported the neighborhood, etc. Now, when he wants to sell his properties it looked as he might not be able to. That to me isn't right. The properties are his, and he should have the right to sell them. Period. I would feel different if the properties were already designated historical. But in this case the historical designation was simply used to stop him from selling to a developer. I'm happy for the way it turned out, even if the buildings are demolished and more crappy student housing is built. UC is it's own economy in CUF. That's just the way it is.
I agree Tom. The owner decided to retire and wants to sell the property, as is his right. Suddenly the preservationists attempt to get a historical designation to stop him. Glad to see City Council denied that as a violation of the owner's rights. It was definitely too little too late. I have some fond rememberances of visiting the establishment while a student at UC, but that was over 50 years ago. The last time I was there was over 25 years ago when my son was attending UC. But nostalgia only goes so far. When I read the building would require $2 million in repairs to keep standing that was enough for me. It is time for the wrecking ball.

And you are correct UC is its own economy as it well should be. Student housing is not intended to win design awards. By its very nature it needs to be quite spartan and affordable. And college students are not known for their diligence in caring for property, perhaps the opposite. So the construction needs to be of commercial retail quality to absorb the abuse.

To say these buildings should be worked around with the development I have only one remark - who is going to pay the bill to restore them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top