U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,025,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
They state as much on their website. And, so what? The place is packed several nights of the week and they have awesome food and do a great business in Corryville, where you wouldn't expect a restaurant to be standing.

Either way, there is a market for German food and we have a German restaurant in business for around 140 years. Of course there would be changes but that's not the point.
One of my favorite times to go to Mecklenburg Gardens is on the second Saturday of every month. They have a traditional "weisswurst essen" for the Mustard Club. Mustard Club is group devoted to German mustard, and there is a particular brand that they import especially for this event...Handelmaier's, from Regensburg, Germany. Mecklenburg is a pretty hopping place those Saturdays, and it's a lot of fun to sit out in the biergarten under the grapevines with cold lager in hand. The Mustard Club packs in a couple of hundred people on those occasions.

Incidentally, it appears that the Mustard Club's operatives have been busy, because Handelmaier's is now available at Silverglades down at Findlay Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,356,048 times
Wow, I have some crazy memories from some late nights in the Christy's Rathskeller during graduate school. I would elaborate more, but I am concerned that the statute of limitations does not yet apply.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
I certainly was aware of Lenhardt's, but Mecklenburg Gardens was the place to go back when I was at UC in the late 50s early 60s. Since Engineering was a co-op school, at that time we were on a completely different schedule than the rest of campus. We operated on sections of 10 weeks duration each. A scheduled 5 x 10 week sections a year with a 2 week vacation around Christmas. Since 5 is an odd number, you could be either in a school section or a work section during part of the summer. If a school section the rest of campus was deserted. That is when I remember going to Mecklenburg's after class and hanging out under the grape vines in the bier garden.

I certainly miss when they changed from the section schdule. During my time we had class schedules pretty continuously from 8:00 AM up to 5:00 PM and also on Saturday. It was a gruelling pace but you knew it was only for 10 weeks. Then you got to go to work, that was like getting a vacation.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,831,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
That is when I remember going to Mecklenburg's after class and hanging out under the grape vines in the bier garden.
The bier garden and same grape vines are still there. Because of the shade from the grape vine, I like their bier garden the best.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM

477 posts, read 530,187 times
Quote:
The problem is, there's nothing wrong with German cooking, it's just that no one does it well. The slop Lenhardt's was slinging gives German cuisine an undeserved bad name. I'm surprised that Lenhardt's lasted as long as it did. The last time I ate there was 5 years ago. The food was poorly prepared and presented, the atmosphere was dismal, the service less than attentive. Don't blame the cuisine for bad restaurant management.
I must be the only one here that actually liked it, well at least their saurbraten which IMO was one of the best I've ever had. The service wasn't great and they seemed to be open less and less though - again I haven't been there in like 5 years.

I hope to heck the Moerlien Mansion doesn't get torn down! It was built by Christian Moerlien for goodness sakes!!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

800 posts, read 697,412 times
Addriatico's is crushing all of the other restaurants up there, with almost $20,000 in business on game days and over $10,000 every other day. It no doubt put Papa Dino's out of business and contributed to Christy's. Pomodorie's is next.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It no doubt put Papa Dino's out of business and contributed to Christy's. Pomodorie's is next.
I doubt the will take out Pomodori's. Pomie's has a lot of restaurant business from families and older patrons. They also have a different style of pizza, since it's wood fired in a brick oven. Time will tell, but I would bet for them based on my perceptions. I am in there often enough because they sell pizza by the slice. Something not enough pizzerias do in Cincinnati.

Oh, and Papa Dino's sucked, IMO. Their cheese was waxy. I had them one time and swore never to return. Toppers may have something to worry about though. I think they are more so in direct competition with Adriatico's than Pomodori's.

You have an interesting point about Adriaticos hammering on Christy's. Honestly, without the beer garden, the Rathskeller sucked. It was a dingy basement bar. They had their regulars though. But Adriatico's has a really good beer selection and great pizza. I can tell you that Adriatico's has pulled regulars from Murphy's to a marked degree. Same reason. Better beer selection, and in Murphy's case, no unprofessional staff and management to deal with.

Last edited by TomJones123; 01-07-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM

864 posts, read 1,197,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Do you happen to have a link? I wasn't able to find it under 'Cincinnati', 'Clifton Heights', or 'U-Square' threads.

Thanks in advance.
It's in the "Demolition Watch" thread.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...opic=14231.595

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
One of my favorite times to go to Mecklenburg Gardens is on the second Saturday of every month. They have a traditional "weisswurst essen" for the Mustard Club. Mustard Club is group devoted to German mustard, and there is a particular brand that they import especially for this event...Handelmaier's, from Regensburg, Germany. Mecklenburg is a pretty hopping place those Saturdays, and it's a lot of fun to sit out in the biergarten under the grapevines with cold lager in hand. The Mustard Club packs in a couple of hundred people on those occasions.

Incidentally, it appears that the Mustard Club's operatives have been busy, because Handelmaier's is now available at Silverglades down at Findlay Market.

Thanks for the heads up. I love German mustard and will stop by Silverglades this week to try a jar. Cool stuff - Mustard Club!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,754,530 times
Mecklenburg Gardens is overrated. I was there once for their food (not atomsphere or beer, and I agree it has good atmosphere, or potentially good atmosphere)....and was disappointed...sort of sad, actually, given the places' history.

Leonhardts was ...hit and miss. Once I had a subpar meal, the other time it was better..better than Mecklenburg Gardens.

There used to be a good German restaurant up in the Westchester area (sort of between Westchester and Sharonville) that was pretty good, but it closed I think?

Funny that a city that was known for its German heritage can't really support much in the way of German restaurants (well, yes, the Hofbrauhaus is OK for basic stuff). I guess there is also Wertheims in Covington (need to give that place another try)?

...and some of the best German food Ive had in the US was in Northern California, a place not much known for German connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati