U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,759,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I hope to heck the Moerlien Mansion doesn't get torn down! It was built by Christian Moerlien for goodness sakes!!
uh-oh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Mecklenburg Gardens is overrated. I was there once for their food (not atomsphere or beer, and I agree it has good atmosphere, or potentially good atmosphere)....and was disappointed...sort of sad, actually, given the places' history.
I liked their food, and it's not my first rodeo with German food either. What specifically did you not like?

The best German food I've ever had came from Black Forest restaraunt in Baton Rouge. The chef and owner was from Germany and really knew her stuff.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM

It was a long time and I thought
a) price/value ration wasnt good (too much for what was offered)
b) problem with the food being dry or with the sauce or something.

...just didnt click. But maybe a second try.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
It was a long time and I thought
a) price/value ration wasnt good (too much for what was offered)
They are somewhat expensive. The times I have been there I had to slow them down so I could get a few beers down. I have never taken home food from there, so I agree that they are more expensive with smaller portions. Though, I have never left wanting more.

Quote:
b) problem with the food being dry or with the sauce or something.

...just didnt click. But maybe a second try.
Sounds like maybe they were having an off night when you were there? Perhaps a second try? But, nothing wrong with not liking them. I sure don't want to make excuses if they are slipping. I'm just surprised it turned out that way for you, I expect more from them and hope it's not a developing trend.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
There used to be a good German restaurant up in the Westchester area (sort of between Westchester and Sharonville) that was pretty good, but it closed I think?
Yes, you are correct, it was the Black Forest which actually relocated to the Mason area from the west side of Cincinnati. They were on Route 42 north of Sharonville between Pisgah and Mason.

The problem with German food is it is so limited. The better dishes are not something you want as a steady diet. Same is true of the umpteen sausages. So restaurants specializing in it must have a wide drawing locale. This is not so easy. I remember years ago the original Grammers downtown. Over a period of time I felt the food was just not quite up to expectations, particularly the sauerbraten. My mother, god rest her soul, made sauerbraten to die for. Of course it took her half a week to prepare it.

On one of my trips to Germany, I flew into Hamburg. The flights were delayed and by the time I got to my hotel it was getting late. I went down to the hotel dining room and asked what could I order to eat. The waiter said, well sir they usually can always cook up some calves liver and onions along with potatoes and left over beef gravy. It was fantastic, but not the kind of meal you want every day.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The problem with German food is it is so limited. The better dishes are not something you want as a steady diet. Same is true of the umpteen sausages. So restaurants specializing in it must have a wide drawing locale.
I agree. I think this is why German restaurants that are successful tend to have a bier gardens, wide selection of beers and appetizers, beer hall atmosphere in the case of Hofbrauhaus, and so on. There has to be more of a draw than the en-trees, though the en-trees had better be off the charts. I tend to go to a German restaurant when I want the overall experience of being able to take my time, drink a lot of beer, sample appetizers, and finish off with a main course that just leaves me full and satisfied. Usually, after going to a German restaurant I just go home a full and happy customer. That's the draw for me anyway.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I agree. I think this is why German restaurants that are successful tend to have a bier gardens, wide selection of beers and appetizers, beer hall atmosphere in the case of Hofbrauhaus, and so on. There has to be more of a draw than the en-trees, though the en-trees had better be off the charts. I tend to go to a German restaurant when I want the overall experience of being able to take my time, drink a lot of beer, sample appetizers, and finish off with a main course that just leaves me full and satisfied. Usually, after going to a German restaurant I just go home a full and happy customer. That's the draw for me anyway.
I totally agree Tom. After the Black Forest relocated here to Mason we went a few times. On Saturday night with the specialties of the week in the form of wursts, sauerkraut, and beer it was great.

One year, since our family was growing and we were running out of space to seat everyone, the wife spotted an ad in a local paper they were serving the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. She contacted them, gave them our particulars and what time of day we would like dinner. It was a total disaster. The turkey was undercooked, and the rest of our traditional sides were like who made this? They were totally out of their element and not smart enough to realize it. The disappointment was such that may have been the last time we went there.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I remember years ago the original Grammers downtown. Over a period of time I felt the food was just not quite up to expectations, particularly the sauerbraten.
On my first visit to Cincy, in the fall 1977, we stopped at Grammers. There was some sort of power blackout or power rationing, so they had a VERY limited menu, but the intererior was to die for. Went back in 2012 for Bockfest with my folks, sad to see it again as just a sort of beer bar/rental hall.

German cooking-some of it- is actually a bit hard to pull off. Some things that look straighforward, like Rouladen, can be a bit difficult to cook "perfectly". And a lot of what we get in the US is pretty generic, too (there is a lot of regional variation within German cuisne, and things that dont 'translate' to the US, like that Hamburg late dinner kjbrill had)

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And a lot of what we get in the US is pretty generic, too (there is a lot of regional variation within
German cuisne, and things that dont 'translate' to the US, like that Hamburg late dinner kjbrill had)
I just looked up Black Forest in Baton Rouge and she has closed.

Black Forest - Downtown - Baton Rouge | Urbanspoon

The chef was West German and I mean her food was delicious. But it was a small restaraunt that had beer and food. Except the food was the draw. When I was living in BR in the late 90s I went there a LOT. So, to me, this was a stand out exception where it was all about the food, and it was authentically prepared by a first generation German lady. I am sure she may have tamed things down somewhat to make them fit down there in Cajun country, sad to see she has closed.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Went back in 2012 for Bockfest with my folks, sad to see it again as just a sort of beer bar/rental hall.
Grammers is all but closed. Walnut Street is still a rough spot, especially up on that end near Liberty. They were open as a bar up until they were robbed one night. That seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back. Now it's as you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati