U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,849 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Read a ton of posts, everyone's got so much to say, want to put my situation out there see what you guys think the optimal place to live might be!

Wife and I are pretty adventurous, with some yuppie tendencies. We live abroad right now, but I just took a job in Covington and am looking forward to exploring the region. Grew up in CA, and I am expecting less hippie stuff (trader joes, etc) but hey, everywhere's got its charms

I'm open to living on which ever side of the river makes the most sense. Most colleagues commute from Clifton, Mason, etc-- but I don't need to consider school districts, so I think I'm in a diff category of needs. Also, some folks suggested living on the KY side, but I'm not sure about either side. I'm using padmapper.com and rent.com to educate myself, but I want to go to the experts here!

About the situation:

- Took a position with a company located in Covington, KY.
- Have an infant, no need for schools
- Will have two cars for wife and myself

Looking for:

- 3 bedroom townhouse (many friends/fam visiting + shipping container full of stuff)
- ~25min from work
- Max 30min driving to Costco, and Asian Market (Cincinnati Asian Market?)
- Hopefully Gym/Clubhouse on grounds
- Around 800-1200 rent (can push it more if needed)
- Clean, crime-free
- Hopefully washer/dryer in unit

I'm wait-listed at Reserve @Ft Mitchell, but I'm told the probability is low of getting in. I tried to search for a 20mi radius around Covington, but didn't come up with much on the websites.

Any suggestions on good apartment/condo rental complexes? Or suggestions about the area in general?

Really appreciate the advice!

Best,
Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,404,914 times
Open up your price limit a little and you may find a lot more. I am not saying that is reasonable, just reality.

You may also try purchase against rent. It may surprise you. Due to the suppressed property values over the last four years, and people in conditions forced to sell, purchase may be more realistic than you realize.

Just as a comment, townhouses are not the most popular form of housing in Cincinnati. What I consider a townhouse in terms of floor space, amenities, etc. most people around here jump to a single family dwelling. You said you were living abroad now but not where you may be from originally or how long.

Good luck in your pursuits.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,469,223 times
$800-$1,200 a month won't get you much for a 3 bdrm. Things are cheaper on the KY side---you probably want to stay there because of this-----but if you had more money, I'd suggest Mt Adams, Hyde Park, or Oakley near the Square. There's a lot more "cultured" young professionals there.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,404,914 times
I vote for staying in KY. With an infant your yuppie days are diminishing. You commented you are wait-listed at a complex in Ft Mitchell (a nice place) but unlikely to get in. I would continue to look at other possibilities in NKY for both cost of rental and cost/time of commute.

You also mention colleagues commute from such as Mason, which is doable and understandable if they have school age kids. The same would be true of areas like Florence KY and Union KY. But you have some years to be concerned about schools and a lot can happen over that time.

If I read you correctly what is important is a clean, safe and attractive place with such simple things as a washer/dryer in the unit (infants generate some laundry), on-site workout facility or at least a cheap gym right across the street. Keep looking on the web. I know some facilities in the northern suburbs which may meet your needs but do not want to advise you in that direction until you exhaust NKY due to the hassle of the commute. People do it, but it is a hassle.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,849 times
Hi all, thanks for the input~

Since I'm moving in April, I haven't been able to reserve anything yet (too early), but here are my targeted complexes.

Reserve@Ft Mitchell
Vinings@Ft Mitchell
Mitchel's Park Apt
Running Creek
Aspen Pines

For everyone else who is looking and if you guys have any comments on the complexes. Thanks again for your input~

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati