U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Are you forgetting Cincinnati has the Freedom Center stated to be our national drawing card.
Ya, that made me come running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I would like to see something created that could in one glance says "Cincinnati is f'ing cool." I'd be a rich man if I knew what it was......but we need a trademarked symbol that can be marketed to the rest of the country. St. Louis has The Arch, Pittsburgh has The Point, NYC has the Statue of Liberty, Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, LA has Hollywood, etc.
I wouldn't equate Pittsburgh's Point with any of those other major landmarks you mentioned.

For Cincinnati, how about a Ferris wheel? This would be unique among American cities. Here is the Ferris wheel outside the Louvre in Paris:

Google Image Result for http://www.aviewoncities.com/img/paris/kvefr0509s.jpg

And the famed Reisenrad in Vienna:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=vienn...r:10,s:0,i:117

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM

477 posts, read 530,405 times
Quote:
.but we need a trademarked symbol that can be marketed to the rest of the country. St. Louis has The Arch, Pittsburgh has The Point, NYC has the Statue of Liberty, Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, LA has Hollywood, etc.
The Genius of water (Fountain Square), the Carew Tower (heck a silloute of the carew tower by the PNC Building), Union Terminal, the handful of old buildings in OTR at 12th and Vine, music hall, etc etc. Really this is just a branding issue, there are plenty of symbols and in spite of the city being the capitol of branding, and having an abundance of symbols/landmarks it sucks hard at branding itself. This is probably one of the biggest conundrums about the region.

Try asking Dayton or Columbus to do a similar thing - I'll tell you it would be a lot harder :P. At the very least Indianapolis has a cool flag.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Cincinnati has tons of originality. What is needed is the ability to prevent blight spreading in some sections of the City while others are redeveloped. 3CDC has done a fantastic job with the downtown core, but they are not chartered for the City as a whole. And I don't think the business backers are prepared to take on such a wide task.

My suggestion is another organization which is comprised of all the individual neighborhood councils. It ideally would be non-political but could have tremendous political clout. The individual neighborhood councils have to address council with their hat in hand, almost like beggars. Strength is in numbers. It would be difficult to get agreement among a diverse group as to priorities, just as it is difficult to get agreement within the individual councils themselves. But the originality would be a City wide organization to identify the critical areas needing attention to keep the entire City on a forward track. The key is to get the individual neighborhood councils to agree to form such an organization and participate.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,464,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Are you forgetting Cincinnati has the Freedom Center stated to be our national drawing card.
Uggh. Man I wish we could have used that money for something else. Given the amount of world class branding experts we have in Cinti, I'm sure they could have created something really cool with that money.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
The Genius of water (Fountain Square), the Carew Tower (heck a silloute of the carew tower by the PNC Building), Union Terminal, the handful of old buildings in OTR at 12th and Vine, music hall, etc etc. Really this is just a branding issue, there are plenty of symbols and in spite of the city being the capitol of branding, and having an abundance of symbols/landmarks it sucks hard at branding itself. This is probably one of the biggest conundrums about the region.

Try asking Dayton or Columbus to do a similar thing - I'll tell you it would be a lot harder :P. At the very least Indianapolis has a cool flag.
^^ This.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Uggh. Man I wish we could have used that money for something else. Given the amount of world class branding experts we have in Cinti, I'm sure they could have created something really cool with that money.
I'm going to state this again from experience, the Freedom Center is actually much better received outside the region than inside it. Thank you Enquirer for making it something people are bitter about locally (that and stoking the fire of racial issues to sell papers).

Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,464,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
I'm going to state this again from experience, the Freedom Center is actually much better received outside the region than inside it. Thank you Enquirer for making it something people are bitter about locally (that and stoking the fire of racial issues to sell papers).
It's not the Enquirer's fault the place is losing money hand over fist. It's a great idea, and something nice to have, but it should have been on a much smaller scale (and cost a LOT less money). I remember at the time it was being discussed.....Kentucky had just gotten Newport on the Levee and Cinti got the Freedom Center. I felt totally jobbed, and embarassed.....and just remember all my Kentucky co-workers walking around like banty-roosters. Thank goodness The Banks came eventually, but Cinti's image was tarnished in the interim.

Cinti needs something new to brand......and it has to be unique to this country. Selling something like a bridge or fountain that were built decades ago isn't going to cut it. Every city has stuff like that. I'm talking about something's that's not been done.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Cinti needs something new to brand......and it has to be unique to this country. Selling something like a bridge or fountain that were built decades ago isn't going to cut it. Every city has stuff like that. I'm talking about something's that's not been done.
The Victorian Architecture alone puts Cincinnati in a league of only handful of cities in this entire country. Its a very good league to be in including places like New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, and arguably Boston and San Francisco.

Union Station alone was used as an inspiration for the Justice League HQ. The list is endless - these are unique assets.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,733,381 times
What's the problem with the freedom center? It doesn't have dinosaur bones and you have to read a lot, but it is packed full of information and a fine museum. So what if needs government support? IT'S A MUSEUM, not an amusement park. I have no doubt if it were a German heritage museum, people would be doting all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or