U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM

874 posts, read 1,035,500 times

Advertisements

Why isn't there a German heritage museum somewhere else? I agree that that would be a great attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM

1,578 posts, read 2,310,846 times
^Or maybe a Germantown. They have a Chinatown in lots of cities.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM

477 posts, read 531,470 times
Quote:
^Or maybe a Germantown. They have a Chinatown in lots of cities.
Over-The-Rhine. Though OTR should ham it up like Lincoln Square does in Chicago, with German murals and bars/restaurants, problem is it hasn't been predominately German since the 1920s whereas Lincoln Square was a German enclave well into the 1970s and is still a stable neighborhood. OTR by contrast went to hell and is slowly climbing back.

If Cincinnati had a bit more pride in itself and was more gentrified we could see this kind of place there...

It also surprises me that a lot of national German-American organizations are based in Lincoln Square and not in Cincinnati, I wonder if historically this was not the case?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

31,333 posts, read 57,560,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ya, that made me come running.
LOL. But it is a cool building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
For Cincinnati, how about a Ferris wheel? This would be unique among American cities.
Meh, Chicago has one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Try asking Dayton or Columbus to do a similar thing - I'll tell you it would be a lot harder
Dayton has plenty of unique stuff ... most notably the criminally neglected Arcade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Cincinnati has tons of originality. What is needed is the ability to prevent blight spreading in some sections of the City while others are redeveloped.
Cincinnati's neighborhoods are part of what makes it unique. I agree there needs to be more emphasis placed on the neighborhoods, making them safe, and promoting their business districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Why isn't there a German heritage museum somewhere else? I agree that that would be a great attraction.
Isn't there one? Out in the west side somewhere? I forget who runs it, one of the German-American societies I think.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,471,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
What's the problem with the freedom center?
You just asked the mult-million dollar question, "Why isn't anyone going to it"? That's the question that needs answered, especially after so much money was spent on it, and how much the City of Cincinnati continues to lose on it. What happened to those rosy forecasts.....the people that compiled those projections need to be grilled by city council......but I fear they're the same people that came up with the street car ridership projections.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM

1,578 posts, read 2,310,846 times
Every museum losses money. You will be shocked to hear how much the other museums have lost money over the years. Of course the Enquirer would never report that.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Every museum losses money. You will be shocked to hear how much the other museums have lost money over the years. Of course the Enquirer would never report that.
But no other museums in this town have opened with such fan fare.....heightened profile and financial commitment comes heightened scrutiny.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM

477 posts, read 531,470 times
Quote:
But no other museums in this town have opened with such fan fare.....heightened profile and financial commitment comes heightened scrutiny.
What about Union Terminal's Museum center? That was a pretty big news story, ultimately a positive one as it saved Union Terminal...

Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM

12,797 posts, read 12,815,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This is absurd. I could spend the next two weeks listing Cincinnati's original quirks, traits and characteristics. Frankly, outside of San Francisco and possibly Boulder, Cincy is the most unique city (in the U.S.) I've ever been in.

Want bland? Look at Columbus.
Every city has a blend of unique and bland. Cincinnati has OTR, Columbus has German Village. Both have monotonous stretches of suburbia. They both have aspects of social and popular culture that are not found anywhere else. Your defense of Cincinnati should not require you to make generalizations about other places.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
What about Union Terminal's Museum center? That was a pretty big news story, ultimately a positive one as it saved Union Terminal...
I love the Union Terminal so you'll never hear me criticize it......it's a historical treasure worth protecting. But the Freedom Center however was built from scratch......I just wish it could have been built inside the Union Terminal which would have also improved its chances of being around another 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or