U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
It was very small. But I think this history is also addressed in that historic musuem in Union Terminal. So IMO that box is checked.
Gotcha. I have in no way done everything there is to do at Union Terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The Freedom Center is pretty impressive, and is a regional draw. I know for a fact that schools even as far away as Louisville send kids up there on field trips.
It may be more of a regional draw than a local draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,579,047 times
Museum Center also has programs on a large variety of Cincinnati heritage and history topics

Quote:
Cincinnati's German Heritage (Formerly Over-the-Rhine: Itís People and Itís Spirit)
The 19th century German settlement in Over-the-Rhine, an area located north and east of the Miami Erie Canal was unique. Here the German society established their own city within Cincinnati reconstructing the culture of their homeland. Churches, shops, schools, building and loans, breweries and other industries were abundant throughout their community, along with beer gardens, singing societies, theater and a Turnerverein (Turner Gym) for recreation. Learn how this lively, crowded close-knit community left a lasting imprint on the entire society of Cincinnati.
Book a Heritage Program | Cincinnati Museum Center

Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,951,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Are you forgetting Cincinnati has the Freedom Center stated to be our national drawing card.
I call it the White Guilt Museum.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I call it the White Guilt Museum.
Then there's the Creation Museum and the Noah's Arc Theme Park in KY, both highly cultural drawing cards. The Noah's Arc endeavor seems to be having trouble getting enough money to get off the ground, I wonder why.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,767,561 times
You want originality in Cincy? Wait until I move to my house there later this year. I'm one of a kind. Precisely why the people in the KC region can't handle me. LOL

Seems to me that Cincy is already fairly unique and that is precisely why I like it. It cannot really be categorized as far as claiming it is a truly Midwestern, Southern or Northeastern city. And it has its own unique foods like Cincy Chili and likely others that are unfamiliar to me. It's this quirkiness that I believe will work in my favor when dealing with the local people. Unlike Kansas City which is extremely conformist (the entire KC region really) and fits the stereotypical mold of a Midwestern city with some southwestern influences and cannot handle people that act independently or think outside of the box, I have found Cincy to be more of a real mix of regional cultures and with more of a cosmopolitan or big city flair than KC.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I have found Cincy to be more of a real mix of regional cultures and with more of a cosmopolitan or big city flair than KC.
Yes! Perhaps, it takes being someone from outside the region (like you and I) to readily recognize all that Cincinnati has going for it.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Yes! Perhaps, it takes being someone from outside the region (like you and I) to readily recognize all that Cincinnati has going for it.
It's the Grass is always Greener on the other side mentality. I know, I used to do it while growing up in the Hartford area as well. Now over the last 22 years I've had a chance to live in ten different states and in cities and towns of varying size in all of them and it has helped me to get a better grasp of not only what I like and want in a "home area" but also which have a better quality of life than others. Not sure what this identity crisis that Cincy supposedly has but it does not seem as apparent as it exists in KC. KC people really do suffer from an inferiority complex and as a result behave like something they are not. There is nothing worse that people from rural areas that move to a city and try to put on airs and act like they are sophisticated city people from a worldly background. I have more respect for people that be themselves and don't try to put on airs of alleged sophistication. Hope I won't find that in Cincy.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,658,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You want originality in Cincy? Wait until I move to my house there later this year. I'm one of a kind. Precisely why the people in the KC region can't handle me. LOL

Seems to me that Cincy is already fairly unique and that is precisely why I like it. It cannot really be categorized as far as claiming it is a truly Midwestern, Southern or Northeastern city. And it has its own unique foods like Cincy Chili and likely others that are unfamiliar to me. It's this quirkiness that I believe will work in my favor when dealing with the local people. Unlike Kansas City which is extremely conformist (the entire KC region really) and fits the stereotypical mold of a Midwestern city with some southwestern influences and cannot handle people that act independently or think outside of the box, I have found Cincy to be more of a real mix of regional cultures and with more of a cosmopolitan or big city flair than KC.
Good post.

I don't think there's any doubt that Cincinnati combines more cultures and is more cosmopolitan than Kansas City.

When are you moving to Cincy and where are you planning to live?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM

682 posts, read 1,389,447 times
First of all , not a native Cincinnati but a transplant from out of state. I travel a lot in my profession, and I find when you ask people what they "know" about Cincinnati, I get one of 3 responses: Baseball, Jerry Springer, or WKRP in Cincinnati.

My point? The city's biggest asset, its architecture and unique neighborhoods are totally unknown nationally. Other cities would die for the architecture found here, a city market like Findlay or the many hills dotted with Victorian Era houses with "Million Dollar Views".

Heritage Tourism is a billion dollar industry and a generator of many service/retail type jobs (which Cincinnati could use with a large under-educated population).

But we do virtually nothing to promote what we have. No major advertising campaigns to try and snare a well educated, well traveled, demographic who goes to places like Charleston, Savannah, San Francisco, to see the architecture and history preserved. Those cities recieve hundreds of millions of dollars in Tourism related monies annually, small businesses thrive and people have jobs. We would actually have property tax base that would help us get out of the deficit spending situation we are in too.

Our city leaders goal seems to be to Bulldoze everything and try to be something else. When we have something unique that could be a real destination and help solve our unemployemnt problem. The amount of construction related jobs created by an effort to restore Cincinnati would be huge to our local economy.

Imagine if the council embarked on a "Restore Cincinnati Plan", Much like Charleston did after Hugo. Devote the federal dollars we get for preservation/restoration, rather than demolition, offered a real incentive program to encourage investment, scrapped the red tape and roadblocks out there that make it easier to restore in Covington or Newport rather than Cincinnati. The follow that up with an agressive marketing and advertising campaign.

Forget us being Portland, Portland would want to be Cincinnati.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM

800 posts, read 698,336 times
There is no support for preserving Cincinnnati because the WWII generation was brainwashed into believing that Cincinnati was "old" and should be bulldozed. The bulldozers were cheered on, they coudln't come fast enough. I still hear old people suggest tearing down the whole city. Old Cincinnatians don't think that the city is special in any way.

Where did this sentiment come from?

It was actually in the schoolbooks. I'm not kidding, I actually found one at a used book store from 1949 which calls for the demolition of all of Cincinnati's old neighborhoods. Some bs about how neighorhoods go through "life cycles". Next to pictures of 19th century rowhouses they have pictures of new single-family homes in Pleasant Ridge with the caption "this is an ideal neighborhood". Keep in mind that by 1950 most of Cincinnati's old neighborhoods were only half as old as they are now, only about 60-70 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or