U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM

5,659 posts, read 8,789,948 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a Garmin 2455 LMT and while I am generally pleased with how the mapping system works, the traffic information feature is barely adequate.

Is anyone using a Tom Tom GPS? If so, what are your experiences with Cincinnati area traffic reporting on it? Based upon research and reviews, most everyone that has tried a head to head comparison between the Tom Tom and Garmin models with Traffic, the Tom Tom offers a more reliable and accurate Traffic service.

Your input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,937,447 times
WILWRadio, as much as a mixed blessing as they are, I still relay on my CB radio for real time traffic info. Especially since my truck's GPS is no help with current traffic conditions...sigh.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM

148 posts, read 154,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Based upon research and reviews, most everyone that has tried a head to head comparison between the Tom Tom and Garmin models with Traffic, the Tom Tom offers a more reliable and accurate Traffic service.
In my experience, the Tom Tom traffic is the best...by far. The trick is to get a "live" model. These units get the traffic via cell tower through AT&T's 2G network. The unit is sent a traffic update at least every 2 minutes.

It seems that Tom Tom has worked hard at getting probes for their traffic info. Presently they use a traffic service for some of the info, but to my knowledge they also have contracts with Blackberry and Apple to use their phones as traffic probes. So basically, everyone with an iphone or Blackberry are probes for what Tom Tom calls "HD" traffic. They have some fleet contracts as well. Each of the their Live (connected) GPS's is a probe as well. Non-live units get traffic from radio transmission and they don't get information from probes only from the traffic information service giving you far inferior information.

I have a TT2535 Live unit. Nice big 5" screen and the traffic is very helpful and my experiences have been in the Cincy area that it is very accurate. I would say roughly 95% correct or better. Even some of the secondary roads are getting traffic coverage now. I live in Anderson TWP and when the traffic got heavy over Christmas shopping season, the 2535 showed route 32 as having backups (and it was right).

There is a caveat however, and that is that their Live service is not free. If you buy a new unit you get a year free, but after that it is (last I checked) $60 a year. With the "Live" subscription you are also able to look up information on your GPS from the likes of Yelp, Expedia, Trip Advisor, and they have TT search app that allows you to search for things as well. You can also get a weather report as well as updated fuel prices. The traffic alone for me makes it worth the $60 yearly charge. The other services do come in handy once in a while, especially since I don't have a smart phone yet.

He is the link to TT's traffic site. Basically, the information on this site is what would get transmitted to your Live gps (or smartphone app if you have it).

http://www.tomtom.com/livetraffic/?W...k_Link=top_nav

I would encourage you to check out Tom Tom's US website to get more details if you like. I think they make two live gps models, one in the "Go" lineup and one in the "Via" lineup.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,311,391 times
Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map seems promising. I have not used it on a cell yet though.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map seems promising. I have not used it on a cell yet though.
Will it work with a Garmin GPS? I don't own a cell phone and don't plan on buying one anytime soon.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
In my experience, the Tom Tom traffic is the best...by far. The trick is to get a "live" model. These units get the traffic via cell tower through AT&T's 2G network. The unit is sent a traffic update at least every 2 minutes.

It seems that Tom Tom has worked hard at getting probes for their traffic info. Presently they use a traffic service for some of the info, but to my knowledge they also have contracts with Blackberry and Apple to use their phones as traffic probes. So basically, everyone with an iphone or Blackberry are probes for what Tom Tom calls "HD" traffic. They have some fleet contracts as well. Each of the their Live (connected) GPS's is a probe as well. Non-live units get traffic from radio transmission and they don't get information from probes only from the traffic information service giving you far inferior information.

I have a TT2535 Live unit. Nice big 5" screen and the traffic is very helpful and my experiences have been in the Cincy area that it is very accurate. I would say roughly 95% correct or better. Even some of the secondary roads are getting traffic coverage now. I live in Anderson TWP and when the traffic got heavy over Christmas shopping season, the 2535 showed route 32 as having backups (and it was right).

There is a caveat however, and that is that their Live service is not free. If you buy a new unit you get a year free, but after that it is (last I checked) $60 a year. With the "Live" subscription you are also able to look up information on your GPS from the likes of Yelp, Expedia, Trip Advisor, and they have TT search app that allows you to search for things as well. You can also get a weather report as well as updated fuel prices. The traffic alone for me makes it worth the $60 yearly charge. The other services do come in handy once in a while, especially since I don't have a smart phone yet.

He is the link to TT's traffic site. Basically, the information on this site is what would get transmitted to your Live gps (or smartphone app if you have it).

Live Traffic

I would encourage you to check out Tom Tom's US website to get more details if you like. I think they make two live gps models, one in the "Go" lineup and one in the "Via" lineup.
Thanks for the detailed account of your experiences with the Tom Tom. This confirms the other reviews I've read about the superior traffic reporting of the Tom Tom at least where the premium service is concerned.

I will look into a Tom Tom in a couple of months once the new models are released. Garmin just announced their 2013 lineup and I figure Tom Tom will follow suit in a month or two.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,415,280 times
Since this is an interesting discussion I guess, perhaps I should be more interested.
But on the other hand, as some 99% plus of my driving is within 3 miles of my house, I can pretty well determine when things have gone awry and I need to select a detour. And I don't need to have a GPS to advise me on the best alternate route - my brain will do just fine.

I not only do not have a GPS in my vehicle(s), I/We do not have a cell phone. My kids all have cell phones and think they cannot live without them. Why? Think back over the past year and tell me what specific events occurred where the GPS/cell phone saved your ass. Then look at the bill, especially if you have kids also with phones.

We have become a very lazy society, brainwashed that instant communication is an absolute requirement. But what exactly is it adding to your life, enhanced income because you make instant decisions? You shaved 10 seconds off an alternate traffic route?

Even Crew Chief, an over the road trucker, says his CB is still what he relies on the most. That is how many years old technology? The difference is not the technology, but the fact the truckers have their own look out for ourselves fraternity which goes back many years. They will separate the important from the superficial and advise each other accordingly. Is that a good idea or what?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM

I work as a courier and some of the deliveries have deadlines of an hour or less. Having access to information at your fingertips while driving that shows where accidents have occurred or where congestions exists due to road construction or other reasons makes this a worthy investment. Since this technology is still relatively new, I am confident in the next few years that traffic reports will become more reliable with the Garmin. But in the mean time I will probably shop for a Tom Tom since they have a better traffic reporting feature.

I have a CB radio but have not used it in years. Truckers have main routes where they travel but many don't run on other highways much especially secondary roads. That is where the GPS can really come in handy.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Think back over the past year and tell me what specific events occurred where the GPS/cell phone saved your ass. Then look at the bill, especially if you have kids also with phones.
That's easy enough. My wife and I receive competitive contracts via email from the publishers we work for. If we are not quick enough the project will go to another freelancer. So, it's part of how we make a living. I cannot even count the times where she (or I) weren't home and got the email via an android that one of us was being requested for a project and we were able to respond immediately, thus getting the job.

Me thinks lecturing those of us who work in this day and time, who depend on technology, goes to show that you are out of touch with the demands placed on today's work force.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,415,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Me thinks lecturing those of us who work in this day and time, who depend on technology, goes to show that you are out of touch with the demands placed on today's work force.
And me thinks you are over evaluating this day and time. Your evaluation of technology greatly overestimates what the technology is actually producing. Just the term itself technology, exactly what is it producing within Greater Cincinnati? People without jobs and an income could give a rats ass about technology. People need a job with a living wage to raise their families. Please reiintroduce me as to how the forces currently in operation in both the City and the suburbs are in concert with the needs of people needing to produce a living to support their families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati