U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 35,455 times

Advertisements

Greetings, oh knowledgeable wise ones! I am a current resident of the Cincinnati area (Lebanon) though I've only been here a few years. I've looked through the newcomers sticky, but since I don't need such specific advice, I'll only answer the relevant parts. I have searched through the forum for info on these two areas, and gotten some answers to other questions, but my question here remains.

I'm planning to move this summer, and want to be closer to the city (and to work in NKY). Since my criteria include all of the following:

- Great school district - I'm not entirely convinced that Lebanon's schools are "excellent" enough (though I see how hard many of the teachers and parents are trying). And is it just my interpretation, or are schools getting the "with distinction" moniker simply due to improvement? If a school is already close to perfect, and thus has no room to grow, is it not granted this extra superlative?

- Super safe neighborhood - a la "Oh, is it 1 am already? I think I'll go walk the dog!"

- Reasonable proximity to shopping/dining - The 25+ minute drive from northern Lebanon to any nice restaurants or shopping has gotten old. This is often heard in my house: "Hey, let's go out to eat! What do we want?"..."Nah, that'll take an hour round trip...so will that...so will that..".... "Hey, who wants cereal for dinner?"

- Attractive surroundings - I was born and raised in another part of the country where surroundings just weren't.. pretty. I love all the green and hills in the Cincinnati area.

- Nice, updated home - I am attracted to Mariemont and Terrace Park, but just cannot get something as new/nice/updated as I'd like in my price range (note - since this is so subjective, that is not to say there's nothing "nice" in these areas, at any price range. To each their own). Ditto for Montgomery. Maybe some would call the homes I'm leaning toward McMansions (starter McMansions?) or cookie-cutter homes. I'd love a character-filled turn of the century home, but only if it comes with a large ensuite master bath with separate water closet, giant walk-in closets, fully renovated kitchen, current windows, plumbing, wiring, and a decent-sized lot. I think these things usually contraindicate each other. So, McMansion gingerbread homes it is.

- Wooded lot - I don't need acreage, but I don't want to touch/hear my neighbors. I at least want my backyard to be facing trees, and *not* other houses.

- Eastern side of Cincy - I don't have many friends, but those I do have are on this side of the holler. I also want to remain in the state of Ohio, though I've got mad love for NKY.

I've narrowed my focus primarily on Anderson and Miami Twp.

On paper I don't know that I'd choose Anderson, but I went driving around, and really liked all the hills and greenery. My home state is flat as the interest rate on a savings account, so topography is something I apparently find new and exciting. Specifically I'm interested in the Village of Ivy Hills, Chestnut Ridge, and Watch Point neighborhoods, among others.

As for Miami Twp, I was initially drawn in by the real estate listings. I'm only looking at the parts of Loveland/Miami Twp in the Loveland school district, and that means 95% of the listings are in one of the Miami Trails subdivisions. Definition of urban sprawl? Maybe. I did go driving around and liked that the neighborhoods typically left lots of trees and greenery surrounding the lots. I thought the area was attractive enough, even if it lacked the hills of Anderson. I prefer it to some other developments where they apparently napalm all the trees in the subdivision, build houses, and then plant twigs to pass as trees.

At this point, I'm wondering what I don't know I don't know. Is one area more desirable than the other? Rather, does one area have a reputation as being more or less desirable? I haven't spent enough time in this area to have a really good feel for the sentiment for different towns or neighborhoods. Someone will say, "Well, you know, Susan lives in ____, so you know what that means." Um, no. I don't have any idea what that means. Indian Hill = $, yes, I understand. But with some of the other areas, I'm clueless.

Is Miami Twp seen simply as a bloated remnant of the go-go period of late 90's through mid 00s? Like the Hummer, Wal-Mart, and gigantic projection tvs? Is that just a fear I have after finding so.many.houses. that fit my bill that there must be a catch?

Is there something about Anderson I don't know? I know it's largely suburban. Does it sit on top of an ancient Native American burial ground and any spiders I kill/beloved family pets I bury will come back to eviscerate me?

One last piece of info - I'm liberal. Pro-gay marriage, Obama re-electing liberal. I know there's not a liberal mecca in Cincinnati, and I'm able to get along just fine with dang near everyone. (Sing it with me! "Kumbaya, my Lord...") Are there any more liberal tendencies in either of these areas, or is it all the same outside of certain small pockets very close to downtown?

Thank you so much for getting through all of that, and I appreciate any tidbits about either of these areas you can provide. If there was a similar thread that I missed in my searches that will answer my questions, please point me in that direction and wallop me over the head with a dead fish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster0221 View Post
Greetings, oh knowledgeable wise ones! I am a current resident of the Cincinnati area (Lebanon) though I've only been here a few years. I've looked through the newcomers sticky, but since I don't need such specific advice, I'll only answer the relevant parts. I have searched through the forum for info on these two areas, and gotten some answers to other questions, but my question here remains.

I'm planning to move this summer, and want to be closer to the city (and to work in NKY). Since my criteria include all of the following:

- Great school district - I'm not entirely convinced that Lebanon's schools are "excellent" enough (though I see how hard many of the teachers and parents are trying). And is it just my interpretation, or are schools getting the "with distinction" moniker simply due to improvement? If a school is already close to perfect, and thus has no room to grow, is it not granted this extra superlative?

- Super safe neighborhood - a la "Oh, is it 1 am already? I think I'll go walk the dog!"

- Reasonable proximity to shopping/dining - The 25+ minute drive from northern Lebanon to any nice restaurants or shopping has gotten old. This is often heard in my house: "Hey, let's go out to eat! What do we want?"..."Nah, that'll take an hour round trip...so will that...so will that..".... "Hey, who wants cereal for dinner?"

- Attractive surroundings - I was born and raised in another part of the country where surroundings just weren't.. pretty. I love all the green and hills in the Cincinnati area.

- Nice, updated home - I am attracted to Mariemont and Terrace Park, but just cannot get something as new/nice/updated as I'd like in my price range (note - since this is so subjective, that is not to say there's nothing "nice" in these areas, at any price range. To each their own). Ditto for Montgomery. Maybe some would call the homes I'm leaning toward McMansions (starter McMansions?) or cookie-cutter homes. I'd love a character-filled turn of the century home, but only if it comes with a large ensuite master bath with separate water closet, giant walk-in closets, fully renovated kitchen, current windows, plumbing, wiring, and a decent-sized lot. I think these things usually contraindicate each other. So, McMansion gingerbread homes it is.

- Wooded lot - I don't need acreage, but I don't want to touch/hear my neighbors. I at least want my backyard to be facing trees, and *not* other houses.

- Eastern side of Cincy - I don't have many friends, but those I do have are on this side of the holler. I also want to remain in the state of Ohio, though I've got mad love for NKY.

I've narrowed my focus primarily on Anderson and Miami Twp.

On paper I don't know that I'd choose Anderson, but I went driving around, and really liked all the hills and greenery. My home state is flat as the interest rate on a savings account, so topography is something I apparently find new and exciting. Specifically I'm interested in the Village of Ivy Hills, Chestnut Ridge, and Watch Point neighborhoods, among others.

As for Miami Twp, I was initially drawn in by the real estate listings. I'm only looking at the parts of Loveland/Miami Twp in the Loveland school district, and that means 95% of the listings are in one of the Miami Trails subdivisions. Definition of urban sprawl? Maybe. I did go driving around and liked that the neighborhoods typically left lots of trees and greenery surrounding the lots. I thought the area was attractive enough, even if it lacked the hills of Anderson. I prefer it to some other developments where they apparently napalm all the trees in the subdivision, build houses, and then plant twigs to pass as trees.

At this point, I'm wondering what I don't know I don't know. Is one area more desirable than the other? Rather, does one area have a reputation as being more or less desirable? I haven't spent enough time in this area to have a really good feel for the sentiment for different towns or neighborhoods. Someone will say, "Well, you know, Susan lives in ____, so you know what that means." Um, no. I don't have any idea what that means. Indian Hill = $, yes, I understand. But with some of the other areas, I'm clueless.

Is Miami Twp seen simply as a bloated remnant of the go-go period of late 90's through mid 00s? Like the Hummer, Wal-Mart, and gigantic projection tvs? Is that just a fear I have after finding so.many.houses. that fit my bill that there must be a catch?

Is there something about Anderson I don't know? I know it's largely suburban. Does it sit on top of an ancient Native American burial ground and any spiders I kill/beloved family pets I bury will come back to eviscerate me?

One last piece of info - I'm liberal. Pro-gay marriage, Obama re-electing liberal. I know there's not a liberal mecca in Cincinnati, and I'm able to get along just fine with dang near everyone. (Sing it with me! "Kumbaya, my Lord...") Are there any more liberal tendencies in either of these areas, or is it all the same outside of certain small pockets very close to downtown?

Thank you so much for getting through all of that, and I appreciate any tidbits about either of these areas you can provide. If there was a similar thread that I missed in my searches that will answer my questions, please point me in that direction and wallop me over the head with a dead fish.
Anderson Twp. is a good choice. Why? Because of several things you cited in your post. It is older and thus less prone to activists of any kind. It is much closer to Cincinnati than Lebanon and more importantly closer to NKY via the I-275 beltway. The areas outside if the I-275 beltway buy you little. In fact they are likely less liberal in attitude than inside the beltway.

If you are looking for a liberal bent in any of suburban Cincinnati you are likely out of luck. Even moreso in NKY though I have no idea why.

Mariemont and Terrace Park are not current. They have nice, overpriced houses which are mostly dated in both their design and appointments.

But if the main issue is you have to travel too far to find something attractive for dining out (or even shopping), I thiink you must reevaluate your obectives. Just moving 8 miles south to Mason, and many of your objectives are widened. I am not saying Mason is a cultural destination, but such nearby desinations as Union Centre Boulevard, Montgomery, Blue Ash have many desirable dining establishments which are not an hour away. And Mason has a few which will hold their own.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...But if the main issue is you have to travel too far to find something attractive for dining out (or even shopping), I thiink you must reevaluate your obectives. Just moving 8 miles south to Mason, and many of your objectives are widened. I am not saying Mason is a cultural destination, but such nearby desinations as Union Centre Boulevard, Montgomery, Blue Ash have many desirable dining establishments which are not an hour away. And Mason has a few which will hold their own.
Since it's so close, I have spent some time in Mason. I've ruled it out for not shortening my commute enough, and for the congestion of Mason Montgomery/Fields Ertel. I also don't find Mason very... pretty? Some of the homes are gorgeous, but the area itself is so developed there's not enough green left for my taste.

Thanks for the feedback. My heart might be with Anderson as a location. I might just have to hope I find a house that fits as well as those in Miami Twp.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Mariemont and Terrace Park are not current. They have nice, overpriced houses which are mostly dated in both their design and appointments.
Almost forgot... YES! This. Some of the old homes are truly lovely, but just not for me. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster0221 View Post
Almost forgot... YES! This. Some of the old homes are truly lovely, but just not for me. You hit the nail on the head.
Glad you are looking at everything. Yes Mariemont has the old town feeling, but only if you want to live in the old town at a high price. Keep your options open. Mariemon is just too expensive, as is Wyoming.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I think your assessment of Lebanon is ... shall we say, incomplete ... but if you want to move, you want to move.

I'd pick Anderson over Miami Township, just for convenience's sake. Miami Township isn't that much closer to whatever restaurants or stores you want to go to than Lebanon is.

Quote:
What the heck does that mean?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
I hate "me, too" postings but I had the exact same reaction as Ohio Girl. Center your search in Anderson.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM

I didn't mean any offense, about Lebanon or Miami Twp. I chose Lebanon myself several years ago, and have enjoyed living here these past years. I suppose the Miami Twp thought was just worrying I'll pick a location I'll later regret, and not specific to that area.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM

I would definitely concentrate on Anderson Twp. You said work in NKY but did nit specify where. Anderson Twp. is going to get you closer to NKY and once they start work on the Brent Spence whatever the I-275 beltway is going to be the way to go. Hopefully they will not divert so much traffic onto I-275 it becomes intolerable.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,778 times
I live in Miami Township...been here since 1984. I lived in Bond Hill prior to that time. I'm familiar with most areas in and around Cincinnati. Miami Twp is wonderful. Plenty of great restaurants, excellent schools and safe, safe safe!

Shopping? Pretty much anything you would need within 5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati