U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 AM

101 posts, read 150,131 times

Advertisements

The rent is too damn high! Just kidding....

I think the difference between the Reds and Bengals is that the Reds try to endear themselves to fans, so we feel lucky to have such a great ownership there.

Also 82 events downtown a year generates regular business and I would imagine better for economic activity (restaurants, sports bars, parking lots, stadium workers all have an array of busy nights that will require extra workers for baseball for 82 events over 6 months; it's not as useful to have extra workers for 10 times over 5 months.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,847,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OK, got the name of the thread changed. You now can post on any subject which irritates you and still be on topic.
Only irritating subjects irritate me.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM

31,396 posts, read 57,653,070 times
Quote:
OK, got the name of the thread changed. You now can post on any subject which irritates you and still be on topic.
LOL. Now we just need to make this a sticky.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,231,739 times
Ok, this is a fantastic topic.

My pick: corn fed retard ignorant briar drivers who absolutely and positively insist upon driving in the vanishing lane when lanes merge. This is a consistent feature of all drivers in the tri-state.

Typical scenario: I'm driving on a four lane divided highway that narrows down to two lanes. The left lane in my direction of travel is disappearing. I will literally be the ONLY driver in the right lane. There will be a half dozen cars in the left lane, usually dicing to pass, well past the last possible moment.

In the past this kind of thing seemed to be kid/adolescent behavior. Today it is rampant and I see seniors and women doing this. Even on a lightly used highway like Rt. 42 in northern Warren country you get people hogging and speeding up in the left lane.

Literally, I have found that the only thing to do to be safe is to drive like the same kind of passive-aggressive *$$hole driver that seems to be common around here and to increase my speed in the left lane. The right lane seems to be deemed by locals to be for effeminate weaklings who are hung up on those silly things like laws.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,428,248 times
Yes, when the signs proclaim the Right lane will disappaer in XXX ft from now, they don't really give you much of a option. Why don't they say merge left you idiot or you will be hung out there to dry? I guess the sign people are obstructed from Plain English.

How abou such signs as Merge Left or Prepare to Stop. What is wrong wth that? If you can't read then you should be stopped.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM

In addition to the abysmal tactics of many drivers who seem to be asleep at the wheel such as the Right Lane Ends but make no attempt to merge left, my favorite pet peeve are the ones who do not believe a Yellow light is meant for them. They must have a greater grasp of physical dynamics than I do since they believe 5 or 6 cars at a minimum can go through the intersection on Yellow. And if they are in the Left Turn Lane, even more can barrel through the intersection. I am also one of those who waits a couple of seconds after I get a Green before accelerating just to insure I will not hit those who are running the Red light. I calculate unless there are cameras at the intersection I will have a hard time proving who did what. So if the one behind me leans on the horn, I will purposefully slow down. Get a grip this is not a life altering situation.

I think most of us recognize where this emanates from, it is the I, I, I, Me, Me, Me mentality so prevalent in our society today. Don't expect me to give up a few seconds out of my day so a fellow citizen can continue theirs. That is too much to ask.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,031,438 times
Hi kjbrill--

The opposite bugs me to no end - when there's a sign that says "lane ends two miles ahead" but people take the chance to merge immediately. When it's proven that zipper merging - that is, merging at the last available second - is much better for traffic flow.

I'm a late merger. I always will be, and it's not because I'm unaware that the lane's ending.

As far as five-six cars hustling through the left turn at the last second, it wouldn't be so irritating if the first four cars had taken the opportunity to go when a gap moves up. But no, you'd think they were driving a Bobcat with how slowly they get going - and consequently, the size of the gap they think they need to turn.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,526,872 times
There is nothing wrong with riding a lane that's ending to its end. In fact, this is ideal behavior on a congested road. Any traffic engineer will tell you that.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,526,872 times
Quote:
In addition to the abysmal tactics of many drivers who seem to be asleep at the wheel such as the Right Lane Ends but make no attempt to merge left, my favorite pet peeve are the ones who do not believe a Yellow light is meant for them. They must have a greater grasp of physical dynamics than I do since they believe 5 or 6 cars at a minimum can go through the intersection on Yellow. And if they are in the Left Turn Lane, even more can barrel through the intersection. I am also one of those who waits a couple of seconds after I get a Green before accelerating just to insure I will not hit those who are running the Red light. I calculate unless there are cameras at the intersection I will have a hard time proving who did what. So if the one behind me leans on the horn, I will purposefully slow down. Get a grip this is not a life altering situation.

I think most of us recognize where this emanates from, it is the I, I, I, Me, Me, Me mentality so prevalent in our society today. Don't expect me to give up a few seconds out of my day so a fellow citizen can continue theirs. That is too much to ask.
You would go insane after a day of driving on the east coast. Drivers here also tend to make a quick left turn when the light turns green, in front of cars waiting to go straight.

Frankly, if you are used to it and expect it, it works. Creating a huge back-up of cars wanting to turn left is not really helpful for anyone. It starts to impact other lanes at a certain point.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
There is nothing wrong with riding a lane that's ending to its end. In fact, this is ideal behavior on a congested road. Any traffic engineer will tell you that.
Well, I don't personally know any traffic engineers to tell me that is the best result. I just know if I do that and the lane runs out the a**holes in the adjacent lane often will not provide room to merge into it. So you are either forced to a stop with now no momentum to merge into the adjacent lane or you adopt the get the Hell out of my way attitude I am coming over regardless which I have also seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati