U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM

5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
New York City has a huge subway system and because of it they have a near total ban on construction of new parking garages. This keeps historic buildings safe from the crap that goes on here. The new Hudson Yards development will be as big as all of Downtown Cincinnati but will only have 1/4 the parking. People will commute there either by walking from Penn Station or by a new subway station currently under construction.

Read a history book describing the historic buildings torn down in NYC to build Madison Square Garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

800 posts, read 696,249 times
Madison Square Garden is not a surface parking lot or a parking garage. That is what I am talking about -- historic buildings torn down because an owner can make more money off parking than off a building. Public transportation ridership is so robust in Manhattan that the economics are the opposite of everywhere else, aside from the fact that off-street parking is controlled like liquor licenses. Hudson Yards has an absolute parking cap for a designated area surrounding the new buildings. This prevents people who own properties immediately outside the development from tearing down their buildings for lots and garages.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,563,387 times
Sorry, I didn't realize the people in Warren County were so possessive. Maybe it's good our house hasn't sold yet. Warren County was at the top of our list of places to relocate.

I didn't specify MASON exits on 71 earlier, I said MASON AREA interchanges, and in my mind, if it is within 10 miles (or less) from the center of Mason, it is in the Mason area. That would include the interchange up by South Lebanon. (SR 48)

Now, back to my original question. If it was wrong to put interchanges at "Every little burb along the way", which interchanges should have not been built?

If you don't want to include any between South Lebanon and Columbus, how about between South Lebanon and the Ohio River. Or move over to 75, I don't care. Just give me some idea of which locations do not deserve an interchange. It would be nice if you also gave your justification for the decision.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize the people in Warren County were so possessive. Maybe it's good our house hasn't sold yet. Warren County was at the top of our list of places to relocate.

I didn't specify MASON exits on 71 earlier, I said MASON AREA interchanges, and in my mind, if it is within 10 miles (or less) from the center of Mason, it is in the Mason area. That would include the interchange up by South Lebanon. (SR 48)

Now, back to my original question. If it was wrong to put interchanges at "Every little burb along the way", which interchanges should have not been built?

If you don't want to include any between South Lebanon and Columbus, how about between South Lebanon and the Ohio River. Or move over to 75, I don't care. Just give me some idea of which locations do not deserve an interchange. It would be nice if you also gave your justification for the decision.
Boy you really know how to hurt a guy. Including South Lebanon in the Mason area. Hell, Lebanon won't even acknowledge them.

But to answer your question, the one which has just been built, Liberty Way Interchange in Liberty Township on I-75. This is a purely unnecessary interchange. It is so close to the Tylersville interchange on I-75 it might as well be on top of it. Very close also to the north is the RT 129 interchange west to Hamilton. Why was Liberty Way built? Very simply, to provide a development environment for Liberty Township and Butler Co. If the proposed shopping center is actually built, it will make the notorious Fields Ertel/Mason Montgomery interchange on I-71 look like some genius engineered it.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-16-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
There aren't all that many interchanges on I-71 between Lebanon and suburban Columbus. Not sure why there's one at Wilmington Road, because Fort Ancient is more easily accessible via Ohio 123 ... if Fort Ancient was indeed the reason for that exit.

Don't recall ever seeing anyone get off at the Cedarville/Sabina exit, or the Ohio 38 exit.

That being said, I'd hate to be stuck on the freeway with no way to get off for 50 miles.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,563,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There aren't all that many interchanges on I-71 between Lebanon and suburban Columbus. Not sure why there's one at Wilmington Road, because Fort Ancient is more easily accessible via Ohio 123 ... if Fort Ancient was indeed the reason for that exit.

Don't recall ever seeing anyone get off at the Cedarville/Sabina exit, or the Ohio 38 exit.

That being said, I'd hate to be stuck on the freeway with no way to get off for 50 miles.
Or how about having to drive 50 miles to an interchange to get ON the expressway if you lived close by.

And to kjbrill, as far as the Liberty Way interchange, I have used it numerous times going from Hamilton to Mason or parts north and bypassing the Tylersville Road mess.

(It's starting to sound like I need to refocus my target area for relocating. At my age, I'm not sure I can get my nose high enough in the air to satisfy the "proper" crowd.)

Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
I'm just a dumb trucker and I live well outside of the I-275 loop. So I'm staying out of this! Actually, I have no real complaints; I just sit in traffic listening to WLW Am 700...

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
And to kjbrill, as far as the Liberty Way interchange, I have used it numerous times going from Hamilton to Mason or parts north and bypassing the Tylersville Road mess.

(It's starting to sound like I need to refocus my target area for relocating. At my age, I'm not sure I can get my nose high enough in the air to satisfy the "proper" crowd.)
Right now the Liberty Way interchange seems nice since it is very new. Are you aware of the proposed Liberty Square shopping center slated to engulf it? The Butler Co. commissioners have already given approval to begin securing financing for it. You think Tylersville is a mess, wait til you see this baby. This interchange was not built to improve traffic but strictly as a commercial development tool for Liberty Township. That is why I say it was not necessary.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM

800 posts, read 696,249 times
Here is a good synopsis of how publicly financed roads and airports acted to kill off privately funded passenger trains, streetcars, etc. in the US:

All good Libertarians are pro-transit | Keep Houston Houston.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,201,548 times
I am not following all the digs on Warren county snootiness...

but yeah - the exit at Rt. 48 is S. Lebanon, which most people would associate more with Lebanon proper than Mason, because Lebanon is closer.

If you drive the area a lot, which if you're taking the Liberty Interchange, you must be in the general vicinity a decent amount, because that's a new interchange that isn't widely known.

And Mason comparatively speaking isn't particularly Pretensious as far as Warren County goes (from what I've seen).

Landen = pretensious.
Deerfield Twp. = fairly pretensious.

I'm sure there's more.

Mason people mostly seem to find it all amusing/annoying that a giant theme park was built in their back yard bringing 30+ years of development with it.

Anyway - as far as the highways - I like them. Period. I don't necessarily like the way that Ohio does interchanges (for the love of God why don't you people like cloverleafs???) - or this ridiculous 2 entrance ramp lanes merging into one ... or numerous other things..

but just the existance of the freeways themselves? Awesome. At 5:00pm last night left Lebanon bound for Hyde Park (yes, at the definition of rush hour) - was kind of dreading the normal Pfeiffer/Kenwood slow down. Amazingly, for some reason last night was awesome and we made it to Hyde Park by 5:28 -- which is really close to non-rush hour times.

Thank you freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati