U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times

Advertisements

More rail, fewer roads and cars.

Get with it America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,015,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Anyway - as far as the highways - I like them. Period. I don't necessarily like the way that Ohio does interchanges (for the love of God why don't you people like cloverleafs???) - or this ridiculous 2 entrance ramp lanes merging into one ... or numerous other things..
Hi Briolat21--

I-270 around Columbus has a bunch of cloverleafs. I'm not a fan, the merging area is too short (and leads to enormous traffic backups).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21
but just the existance of the freeways themselves? Awesome. At 5:00pm last night left Lebanon bound for Hyde Park (yes, at the definition of rush hour) - was kind of dreading the normal Pfeiffer/Kenwood slow down. Amazingly, for some reason last night was awesome and we made it to Hyde Park by 5:28 -- which is really close to non-rush hour times.

Thank you freeway.

+rep for that post.

Thank you for being with the times. Roads are the way of the future in Cincinnati and many other cities. No mass transit, especially not rail, could even dream of making it from Lebanon to Hyde Park in 28 minutes unless it never stopped along the way.

It really shocks and appalls me how many people cling to outmoded 19th century technology like rail which, while good for transporting freight, doesn't do nearly as good a job at moving passengers given the lower population density.

Southern Ohio - namely, Butler and Warren Counties - are on the move. There's development, there's progress, there's money being made. People are moving there, and it's really on the grow. And it's fueled by (gasp) I-71 and I-75.

Get with it, Cincinnati! Or risk getting left behind.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,831,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Cincinnati has already been left behind, and in part, because it lacks rail transit.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,304,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi Briolat21--

I-270 around Columbus has a bunch of cloverleafs. I'm not a fan, the merging area is too short (and leads to enormous traffic backups).

+rep for that post.

Thank you for being with the times. Roads are the way of the future in Cincinnati and many other cities. No mass transit, especially not rail, could even dream of making it from Lebanon to Hyde Park in 28 minutes unless it never stopped along the way.

It really shocks and appalls me how many people cling to outmoded 19th century technology like rail which, while good for transporting freight, doesn't do nearly as good a job at moving passengers given the lower population density.

Southern Ohio - namely, Butler and Warren Counties - are on the move. There's development, there's progress, there's money being made. People are moving there, and it's really on the grow. And it's fueled by (gasp) I-71 and I-75.

This post real? We don't need more highway we need less. The cities that will be left behind in the future is the cities with highways and no rail. These cities will be abandoned when gas is $6, $7, $8 a gallon. No one would invest money in these cities. At that point it will be too expensive to build rail as everyone will be competing for the steel to build it.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,215,556 times
If gas ever gets to those levels (and I agree it could - but not for a while), then carmakers would have a great incentive to actually increase mpg..

I just dont' think the suburban way of life is going to die anytime soon. In 100 years? Maybe things will look very different - but none of us will be around to see that.

In our lifetimes, I think continued development between the suburbs and urban areas (with a few more rural areas becoming suburban) is still going to continue, and along with some intelligent mass transit options -- that will mean cars.

Now they might be smaller cars (Smart Cars), or self-driving cars, or car-share programs .. but there will likely still be cars.

and highways (with dedicated commuter lanes, or railway lanes in the middle (like Chicago) are a part of that growing interconnectedness that will become even more important in the future

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
More rail, fewer roads and cars.

Get with it America!

Sorry - while I agree that uncontrolled growth is a monster, I just don't see a future of all urbanity, no suburban areas.

And as long as there are people living outside city-centers, there are going to be cars..

as far as "fewer" roads -- I assume you mean slowing the creation of new roads? Or do you mean actively demolishing existing roads....?

More rail - where it is logical, sure.

Call me crazy, but I can both appreciate the suburban car-centric lifestyle, and an urban mass-transit oriented lifestyle.

Both have their uses, and neither precludes the other.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
If gas ever gets to those levels (and I agree it could - but not for a while), then carmakers would have a great incentive to actually increase mpg..

I just dont' think the suburban way of life is going to die anytime soon. In 100 years? Maybe things will look very different - but none of us will be around to see that.

In our lifetimes, I think continued development between the suburbs and urban areas (with a few more rural areas becoming suburban) is still going to continue, and along with some intelligent mass transit options -- that will mean cars.

Now they might be smaller cars (Smart Cars), or self-driving cars, or car-share programs .. but there will likely still be cars.

and highways (with dedicated commuter lanes, or railway lanes in the middle (like Chicago) are a part of that growing interconnectedness that will become even more important in the future
I've said this before, but not in context of your posts. It's not about (at least to me) eliminating cars in favor of rail. It's about adding rail as a transit option. That would take some cars off the road and make it better for those who want to drive. You extend rail to the suburbs and it's a win-win situation. That's how it is in NYC, they have Metro North, Long Island Rail Road, and New Jersey Transit all connecting the suburbs to the city. Of course in NYC there are subways, so a person doesn't need a car at all, or is welcome to drive if they want the convenience and can afford to.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM

TJ -

I hope from my posts you can tell I have no problem with increased rail use, where its practical.

Perhaps that does mean a rail line connecting out to suburbs at some point in the future.

However (not your posts) many of these posts sound like "do away with all cars!" - which is just not realistic.

You may have a commuter station in Westchester for a railway to get me from Westchester to Fountain square...

However that will not help my daily commute from Lebanon to Westchester. So - cars are still going to be a huge part of daily life for decades to come.

That said - all for mass transit options, where they are appropriate.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
However that will not help my daily commute from Lebanon to Westchester. So - cars are still going to be a huge part of daily life for decades to come.

That said - all for mass transit options, where they are appropriate.
That's how it is in the NYC Metro as well. A lot of people drive to the nearest Park N' Ride, and take the trains from there. It can save hours of commute time in NYC. Cincy is no NYC, but we still have our congestion problems. Not to mention you can get work done, sleep, play games, whatever, during the train ride.

I never had the impression you were anti-rail. I think you and I may be more moderate in our views versus the anti-rail / anti-car arguments.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,572,623 times
It is interesting watching the discussion going on here. I am interested, though, in seeing what proposals those of you out there have for a situation like mine.

We currently live in Williams County, a very rural area between Toledo, OH and Ft. Wayne, IN. What options do you see in the future for someone like us wanting to visit our children in Butler County? One of them is currently looking at property in Warren County, so that would involve more logistics to get both places.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati