U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi kjbrill--

275 may have been at one point the biggest beltway in the U.S. - but it's being eclipsed by several new beltways under construction or proposed
It's still the longest until they are completed, genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
jmecklenborg...

Yes I did go and read your official Brent Spence Replacement web site. And you are right about one thing, it is all being done without a vote. Too bad the Federal Highway Administration just does its own thing. Instead of just remedying the real problem - inadequate capacity of the Brent Spence Bridge, they have apparently elected to completely reconstruct the I-71/I-75 corridor through Cincinnati. Typical bureaucratic response. Don't just solve the problem, feather your own nests and drive the costs out of sight. Overkill, overkill, overkill. Make sure your bureaucratic jobs live through the entire long duration of the project.

I believe the project is being driven by the Federal Highway Administration? So how in Hell can they pin the costs on the states of Ohio and Kentucky?

Does anyone else think this is unbelievable? And our Ohio and Kentucky governors have come out and stated a toll to pay for the new bridge is required?
Citizens, it is time to inform these as*hole politicians they are barking up the wrong tree.

Citizens, scream and holler. Do not stand for a third rebuild of the cut-in-the hill. Do not let this project pay for a total rebuild of I-71/I-75 through Cincinnati. We have been told the Brent Spence is under capacity, and I believe this is true. But solve that problem and that problem alone.

Every public infrastructure project going to construction is escalatring several-fold. Our public officials are Raping the public as to the cost. Yes, you got that right, they are Raping us.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM

3,707 posts, read 6,575,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Maybe we should all feel good about the cost. Saw the pricetag on the Big Dig in Boston is up to 28.4 Billion. Can we do like they are doing and take the tolls from the Ohio Turnpike to pay for the bridge? They are bleeding off the tolls from the Mass Turnpike and applying them to the Big Dig. But so far they are not even paying the interest on the debt so it just keeps increasing. Smooth deal.
Comments have been made here to institute tolls so the ones using the bridge are paying for it. So then why use the tolls from the Ohio Turnpike to pay for a bridge in Cincinnati. Use tolls from the bridge to pay for the bridge.

While it may not be for the bridge in Cincinnati, I believe that Kasich has already announced the plan to use turnpike revenue for roads throughout Ohio. It makes those of us here in NW Ohio pretty upset. If there is an excess of tolls being collected for turnpike operation, reduce the tolls for the people that use the road.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Comments have been made here to institute tolls so the ones using the bridge are paying for it. So then why use the tolls from the Ohio Turnpike to pay for a bridge in Cincinnati. Use tolls from the bridge to pay for the bridge.

While it may not be for the bridge in Cincinnati, I believe that Kasich has already announced the plan to use turnpike revenue for roads throughout Ohio. It makes those of us here in NW Ohio pretty upset. If there is an excess of tolls being collected for turnpike operation, reduce the tolls for the people that use the road.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If Mass can bleed off money from the turnpike to pay for the Boston Big Dig, why can't Ohio bleed off money from the turnpike to pay for the Brent Spence. Seems like apples and apples to me. At least the politiceans will look at it that way.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,288 times
^Because if and went the BS is tolled. I wouldn't want the tolls to go to other area's of Ohio or Ky.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I believe that Kasich has already announced the plan to use turnpike revenue for roads throughout Ohio. It makes those of us here in NW Ohio pretty upset. If there is an excess of tolls being collected for turnpike operation, reduce the tolls for the people that use the road.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike several years ago was mandated to provide funding to the remainder of the state's roads (a temper tantrum stemming from being turned down by the Feds to toll I-80), and for public transit.

Since then, the tolls have risen every year ... up 71 percent in five years.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The Pennsylvania Turnpike several years ago was mandated to provide funding to the remainder of the state's roads (a temper tantrum stemming from being turned down by the Feds to toll I-80), and for public transit.

Since then, the tolls have risen every year ... up 71 percent in five years.
That is a terrible way to treat the people. I was mainly tongue in cheek referencing Mass' use of turnpike tolls to apply to the Big Dig in Boston.

The Ohio Turnpike tolls should be used for one thing and one thing alone - maintain the turnpike. If the tolls exceed the cost of maintenance reduce the tolls. This manner of government thinking of any way they can to get into our pockets has to stop.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM

800 posts, read 697,835 times
An extension of the Massachusetts Turnpike was part of the Big Dig. Specifically the Ted Williams tunnel and its underground connection to the former terminus of the Turnpike at I-93 in South Boston was technically part of the Big Dig Project. Also, the underground approach to the Tobin Bridge in Charleston. So when we hear about the high cost of the Big Dig, it's *not* just the 1 mile that was rebuilt underground in Downtown Boston, but also several ancillary projects that were necessary to make the underground section make a decisive improvement.

What you see first is the Mass Turnpike tunnel known as the "Prudential Tunnel", which predates the Big Dig. The second tunnel is a Big Dig tunnel which DOES NOT go under DT Boston, but rather South Boston. Third is the Ted Williams Tunnel under the harbor, also part of the Big Dig. After 3:30 he turns around and goes back the way he came:

Boston Tunnel to airport - YouTube

Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
An extension of the Massachusetts Turnpike was part of the Big Dig. Specifically the Ted Williams tunnel and its underground connection to the former terminus of the Turnpike at I-93 in South Boston was technically part of the Big Dig Project. Also, the underground approach to the Tobin Bridge in Charleston. So when we hear about the high cost of the Big Dig, it's *not* just the 1 mile that was rebuilt underground in Downtown Boston, but also several ancillary projects that were necessary to make the underground section make a decisive improvement.

What you see first is the Mass Turnpike tunnel known as the "Prudential Tunnel", which predates the Big Dig. The second tunnel is a Big Dig tunnel which DOES NOT go under DT Boston, but rather South Boston. Third is the Ted Williams Tunnel under the harbor, also part of the Big Dig. After 3:30 he turns around and goes back the wwqay he came.
So that is what you get for 28.4 Billion! WOW, how impressive! And this is all getting paid for exactly how?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,288 times
^It's just money. We can always make it back. Time wasted. We can NEVER get that back. That money is flowing through the economy now. It's not like it's burned or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or