U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times

Advertisements

What do you think should be done about the Brent Spence Bridge? There have been several proposals already put forth.

I see no reson why the current bridge cannot be used for many more years. It is not that old as bridges go. My idea would be to utilize the existing bridge to handle local traffic and build a new bridge of the same design parallel to it to handle through traffic. Construct the new bridge and then route through I-75/I-71 traffic over it. Once the new bridge is in operation reconfigure the existing bridge back to the original lane width just for safety purposes. Two bridges should be able to carry the traffic volume far into the future.

What are your ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,812 times
Now that the airport is not what they thought they had. I don't see a need for a new bridge. Better spent on light and commuter rail.

Maybe rehab the bridge and a light rail line to the airport and Florence. That's much cheaper than a brand new bridge. No need to widen I-75 to 14 lanes anymore.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Now that the airport is not what they thought they had. I don't see a need for a new bridge. Better spent on light and commuter rail.

Maybe rehab the bridge and a light rail line to the airport and Florence. That's much cheaper than a brand new bridge. No need to widen I-75 to 14 lanes anymore.
Somewhere you have missed the point and it has nothing to do with the airport. The Brent Spence has been over capacity for years. They reduced the lane width to try and squeeze more out of it but all that did was increase the accident frequency on the bridge.

There never was much auto traffic to the airport even in its heyday, since the majority of the passenger traffic was passing through the airport to/from other destinations. The locally generated airport traffic was a small part of the volume when it was a hub. The demise of the airport as a hub has a negligible affect on the auto traffic to or from it, which was never large to begin with. Currently the traffic between the City and the airport in no way justifies a rail line. It doesn't even justify an express bus with any frequency.

The growth of the suburbs on both sides of the river which all want to cross the river for jobs combined with the fact I-75 is the major north/south commercial route from Michigan to Florida is where the traffic comes from. Due to the way things are spread out, one rail line does very little to change anything. Several rail lines are needed for any kind of effective coverage and that is not about to happen.

Get used to it, something will be done with the Brent Spence. The only question is what.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM

You might find this interesting. The Golden Gate Bridge carries an average of 100,000 vehicles a day. The Brent Spence carries an average of 150,000 vehicles a day, of which 20 percent are trucks.

So what commuter rail line are you going to put those trucks on?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,734,928 times
toll bridge

Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,465,335 times
From a national perspective, the Brent-Spence is a very important bridge as it serves the highway connecting Michigan to Florida. A huge amount of this nation's commerce travels across this bridge. I am a strong proponent of making it a toll bridge.....make the people who use it....pay for it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Toll! I hope that idea catches on and they put a toll booth on the road you take back and forth to work. You use it, you pay for it.

Put a toll bridge right in the middle of I-75's 1,786 miles. That is definitely going to endear Cincinnati/NKY with the rest of the country. Maybe the toll booths should be put in now to see what percentage of the traffic is driven around the I-275 loop or I-471. If enough maybe nothing needs to be done to the Brent Spence. Maybe the Reds and Bengals can include toll tokens with their season tickets. Another perk for downtown workers - pay my bridge toll.

Reminds me of Oklahoma where the major north/south highway is a toll road. Of course nobody actually wants to go to Oklahoma, just pass through it to someplace else.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM

5,657 posts, read 8,765,610 times
Put another bridge and keep the existing bridge to handle the increased flow of traffic. Then rename it.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
toll bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I am a strong proponent of making it a toll bridge.....make the people who use it....pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Toll!
Brill, got news for you, a toll will be established on that bridge. Did you miss OH's, and KY's governors press conference where they both said as much?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM

800 posts, read 698,172 times
Earth to Kjbrill: look on the project's official website. I know this will mean you'll have to use google, which will be a first for you.

The project area stretches from The Western Hills Viaduct to Kyle's Lane. Under the current plan the existing bridge will be kept. The new bridge will be built immediately west. The existing bridge will be restriped to three lanes on each deck with an emergency shoulder. The I-71/75 split will be moved to the south side of the bridges, so the existing bridge will be I-71 and the new bridge will be I-75.

A new exit ramp will be built from I-75 south to the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge. This ramp will meet 3rd St. at grade with a traffic signal, making the current 3-way intersection into a 4-way. This was the original replacement for access to Covington since the 5th St. ramps were going to be eliminated. But Covington fought for the ramps to be restored. These new ramps will be "functionally obsolete" from the day they are build due to a steep grade.

The bridge cannot be funded with gasoline revenues from Kentucky and Ohio because driving is down significantly since 2005 and there is no political will to raise the state or federal gasoline taxes. That's why the public-private partership entered the picture, but the problem is such a funding mechanism is illegal in Kentucky. It is unclear if politicians in the Kentucky statehouse will be motivated to change state law to permit it to enter into a joint agreement with Ohio. Additionally, entering into such an agreement forces the project's Environmental Impact Study to be reopened, adding at least a year to the planning process.

So this is a messy $2.5 billion solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If you want to see what real traffic looks like, visit New York City. The existing bridge situation wouldn't rank in even the top 10 worst traffic bottlenecks in the NYC region. NYC is investing no money in expanding highways but has several major subway and commuter rail projects underway.

It'is worth mentioning that the total build-out of the 2002 MetroMoves plan -- 50+ miles of light rail in Hamilton County -- was less expensive than this bridge project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or