Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of the four in Cincy
Mt. Airy 1 8.33%
French Park/Deer Park Area 3 25.00%
Blue Ash 3 25.00%
Hyde Park 9 75.00%
Norwood 3 25.00%
Farifax 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times

Advertisements

I was in San Diego about a year ago and I saw a lot of similarities between San Diego and Cincinnati. The attitude of the locals seemed about the same as well as the layout of the city. If you are into canoeing or kayaking and want to be in a nice area that is close to the Little Miami I would recommend Hyde Park or Mt. Lookout. Those areas are only 5-10 minutes away from Armleder Park or the Little Miami River access point on route 32. Both have canoe/kayak launch areas. Plus, both of the neighborhoods are very walkable and have great restaurants/bars/shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM

26 posts, read 89,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ok now I'm doubting your Cleveland credibility. Murray Hill back in the day was a dangerous place for black folks. Now there are all kinds of people living in Little Italy, definitely not as homogenous ever since the Italians got scared and fled to places like Willoughby. Also, I think you're thinking of "St. Clair" not "SinClair." St. Clair isn't only bad for white women, it's just not a nice area in general. There is no real conceivable reason that someone would just kinda stumble into St. Clair and not realize it.
As far as Cleveland cred, I grew up there from 89-07. But I won't say I have any idea as to the changes that have happened since. I still have friends though that refuse to go down Murray hill, and lol SinClair is just what me and my friends have always called St. Clair. I had no idea the Italians fled cause most of my friends and their fam still remain where they are and always have been

Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedstrong15 View Post
As far as Cleveland cred, I grew up there from 89-07. But I won't say I have any idea as to the changes that have happened since. I still have friends though that refuse to go down Murray hill, and lol SinClair is just what me and my friends have always called St. Clair. I had no idea the Italians fled cause most of my friends and their fam still remain where they are and always have been
Alright then we're about the same age then. Little Italy still definitely has Italians, but there are tons of Asians and Case students there too. Lots of Arabs as well. Far from a hostile place, though i have met black people today that still refuse to go to Murray Hill. However, none of them have actually been there, so I think it's likely just something their parents and grandparents told them.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I certainly concur Cincy is no Hell Hole. The recommended locations are very nice, providing you can find accommodations within your budget. Frankly, I doubt it.
I don't think I ever accused it of being a hell hole. But, I was looking in some of those areas, deer park and Hyde park have some apartments I was looking at and I guess it's amberly? The Lakedshore apartments go for 600 something. Do you think that is too low a d there might be a reason for it? I put my range at 500-700 just rent, not the utilities or anything like that. I guess I'm confused? It seemed like such a nice place :/

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Alright then we're about the same age then. Little Italy still definitely has Italians, but there are tons of Asians and Case students there too. Lots of Arabs as well. Far from a hostile place, though i have met black people today that still refuse to go to Murray Hill. However, none of them have actually been there, so I think it's likely just something their parents and grandparents told them.
Fair enough. I know my mom had her reservations about Euvlid but I rarely went their myself because of that except to see friends. How would you compare Cleveland to Cincy? And I noticed people assuming I am a biker, but I'm actually a cyclist. I can do 10 or 20 miles with out to much of a problem and put a few routes into an elevation calculator. I know Cincy has hills but would you say they are impossible by bike? Or just challenging?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
How would you compare Cleveland to Cincy? And I noticed people assuming I am a biker, but I'm actually a cyclist. I can do 10 or 20 miles with out to much of a problem and put a few routes into an elevation calculator. I know Cincy has hills but would you say they are impossible by bike? Or just challenging?
Cincy and Cleveland may have an occasional similarity, but they are very different cities. That particular topic has been hashed to death on CD forums.

The hills here are not impossible, though they are of varying difficulty. Coming out of the downtown basin, Vine Street is easy, while Clifton Ave is more intermediate, where as Ravine Street and Sycamore Streets are difficult, and if you can cycle up Straight Street you one bad cyclist. There are longer hills heading into the west side that are not for the faint of heart.

Also, certain streets around town are narrow with unyielding traffic. I have chosen my routes based on what I am comfortable with. I would advise the same.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
I don't think I ever accused it of being a hell hole. But, I was looking in some of those areas, deer park and Hyde park have some apartments I was looking at and I guess it's amberly? The Lakedshore apartments go for 600 something. Do you think that is too low a d there might be a reason for it? I put my range at 500-700 just rent, not the utilities or anything like that. I guess I'm confused? It seemed like such a nice place :/
The Lakeshore Apartments are off of East Galbraith Rd at the bottom of a long hill alongside the Ridgewood Golf Club. The address is given as Cincinnati, but I believe it is actually in Reading Ohio, at the edge of the Mill Creek valley basin. If it were Amberley Village they would say so as that is more upscale. If you look at a map it is close to Reading Rd (Route 42) which runs north/south from where I live out in Mason to downtown Cincy. Be mindful of the distance. Reading is somewhat of a bluecollar town and is next to Evendale to the south which is home of the GE Evendale Large Jet Engine Plant and Sharonville to the north which has the Ford Transmission Plant. But these major industries are towards the center of the valley and near I-75. I would rate Evendale, Reading, and Sharonville all as quite safe areas. They are all separate small cities with their own police force.

As is typical of many posted reviews some people curse at it and others say it is great. Depends on whether someone ticked them off.

While it is possible to bicycle south down Reading Rd all the way to MLK boulevard and then west to UC it is not a ride I would want to take for one simple reason - you have to go through Avondale which is a hell hole of Cincinnati.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I know my mom had her reservations about Euvlid but I rarely went their myself because of that except to see friends. How would you compare Cleveland to Cincy? And I noticed people assuming I am a biker, but I'm actually a cyclist. I can do 10 or 20 miles with out to much of a problem and put a few routes into an elevation calculator. I know Cincy has hills but would you say they are impossible by bike? Or just challenging?
Some of the hills along the river coming from the downtown basin are mean due to the gradient. If not impossible definitely idiotic on any kind of regular basis unless in training for an Iron Man/Woman competition.

Once you get on top of the hills, things become considerably less stringent. For example a broad area around UC is an easy bicycle trip long as you stay on top of the hills. Another easy bicycle domain is Hyde Park, Oakley, and Norwood. Once you drop down into Mt Lookout nearer the river here come those nasty hills again.

You commented one of the main reasons for coming to Cincinnati is that Ohio will give you immediate residency for tuition purposes. So I am taking you are still planing on going to UC. If that is the case, rein in some of the distances from UC. Even if an enthusiastic cyclist capable of long distances, I would point out a couple of things.

There are very few streets in Cincinnati which are bicycle friendly. The number of routes having dedicated bicycle lanes are conspicuous by their absence.

Others have commented quit looking at the map. I will comment the opposite, look at the map. What you don't see is the topogrqphy or infrastructure. For example, I was born in Deer Park. If someone said I want you to live in Deer Park and bicycle to UC I would say you are nuts. The most reasonable route is Montgomery Rd. I first have to get to Montgomery Rd from Deer Park which is through Silverton. Then I have to dodge traffic all the way from Silverton through Kennedy Heights, through Pleasant Ridge to get to Norwood. I am maybe half way there? At least once through Norwood I have some selection for going to UC. The only good part about this route is I can circumnavigate the hell hole called Avondale.

Another specific. I have only been to San Diego a few times, but one thing I remember no ice or snow. Being from Cleveland I know you remember ice and snow. But again, on relatively flat land they are manageable. On hills that is another matter. Just think about trying to use that bicycle in a curb lane full of slush and worrying about the stupid car drivers sliding over and wiping you out. The mental stress alone will make you a basket case.

I am not trying to discourage you from Cincinnati. But I am saying use your sensibilities. Start and concentrate on the areas immediate to UC. If nothing there branch out a little, I still suggest Norwood as it is safe and no humongous hills between it and UC. I am frankly not current on the neighborhoods between Norwood and UC, such as Corryville. In my era it was the pits, something to scurry through and get out of. Today it may be a much different environment. Check it out thoroughly.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Some of the hills along the river coming from the downtown basin are mean due to the gradient. If not impossible definitely idiotic on any kind of regular basis unless in training for an Iron Man/Woman competition.
Not so. I live smack, half way up one of those hills and there are people cycling up and down it every day. Heck, my kid's former pre-school teacher used to bike over from Covington using a Beach Cruiser on a daily basis. Read no bail out gear! I am an avid weight lifter and can run a ten minute mile at 245 lbs, and I need the bail out gear ! Yet she was a moderately overweight young lady in her late 20s. Hardly triathlon material. Have You ever cycled up West Clifton Ave.? It'll get you winded. But to say idiotic? There really is no reason to say something like that unless you are implying those of us who bicycle around Cincinnati are idiots. You wouldn't mean to say something like that would you? That could be the inference, unless, I am just reading into what you said and missing your intent.

Quote:
There are very few streets in Cincinnati which are bicycle friendly. The number of routes having dedicated bicycle lanes are conspicuous by their absence.
A street does not need a bicycle lane to be considered bicycle friendly. They're preferable, granted, but there are any number of thoroughfares all across Cincinnat that are fine for cyclists. I speak from experience.

Quote:
Others have commented quit looking at the map.
Context: quit looking at (and obsessing over) crime maps.

Quote:
I will comment the opposite, look at the map. What you don't see is the topogrqphy or infrastructure. For example, I was born in Deer Park. If someone said I want you to live in Deer Park and bicycle to UC I would say you are nuts.
It's only around 11 miles. For someone who is a dedicated cyclist, that's a short stint and hardly nuts.

Quote:
Just think about trying to use that bicycle in a curb lane full of slush and worrying about the stupid car drivers sliding over and wiping you out. The mental stress alone will make you a basket case.
The vast majority (notwithstanding the occasional nut job) of people work out alternate modes of transportation in inclement weather.

Quote:
I am not trying to discourage you from Cincinnati. But I am saying use your sensibilities.
I know, you mean well, and are considerate enough to type out a thought out reply. I am not sure you have ever bicycled in recent times. People do it all the time for a variety of motivations. Cincinnati is not the most bike friendly city on the planet, but for an experienced urban cyclists point of view, it's doable. And enjoyable I might add.

I am not a member. I have my routes chosen out and prefer to go alone when I go out on rides. But here is a link to some folks you could reach out to. I am afraid you won't find too many people who bicycle around Cincinnati on these forums.

Cincinnati Cycle Club

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Thank you TomJones123 for the link that is very helpful. Thank you for assuming I also have a car, and that I would have the sense use during the winter, as I do. I bike because I want to get back into shape from my military days, and then stay fit jkbrill. I have done a hills route 20 miles without much problems and I am 220 lbs now, and lost 15lbs so far! A far cry from my cycling instructor days when I was on the ship as a small 150 lb girl and making marines puke . But if I can do 6 gradient rides here in SD with out hopin' of the bike to walk up, then I think I'm in good shape (figuratively) becuase on the MapMyRide site (that I found and went to after you made Cincy sound impossible) shows gradients of maybe 1 or 2 in most places in Cincy.

I don't want to start a miff, but jkbrill you do come off very condescending and as a cyclist what you said in some places was fairly offensive. But that's your prerogative, but if that was not your intent, you may want to read what you write as the person who is reading your response before posting. I appreciate the information on the neighborhoods, and you have been very helpful otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati